Making own syn blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 4 bottles of Quakerstate synthetic, and I also have a 5 quart jug of Supertech conventional. I have two cars that take 4.5 quarts each and was considering mixing the oils together for a 40/60 mix.

No, use the 4 QS syns with .5 qt ST for one car, and the 4.5 qts of ST conventional for the other. Mixing won't "hurt", but this way is more optimal additive wise.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Just be careful with possible additive clashing.

No way to know though is there?

Originally Posted By: CodyB
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Just be careful with possible additive clashing.

No way to know though is there?

Additive clash is a fable. Every single API certified oil is able to mix with another API certified oil no matter what brand they happen to be.
Additive clash is a made up thing that guys try to pull on newbs in an attempt to show their "knowledge"
Additive clash is not even a real thing.
If additive clash was possible then you'd run that risk every time you changed the oil because of whatever happens to remain in the engine at the time of draining.
Imagine driving down the highway. You fill up and check your oil. You see it's down a quart but the station doesn't have your brand,what then.
How about brands using different additive packages like titanium instead of zddp. What then?
Additive clash is a made up thing perpetuated by folks who believe they've thought of everything.
In order to carry an API starburst the oil has to meet certain criteria,being blend able with every other API starburst oils is one of those criteria.
Everytime I see additive clash mentioned I laugh.
It reminds me of Harley telling customers that synthetic oil will cause "bearing skate" because synthetic oil is more slippery.
Neither condition exists.
No matter the brand and grade of oil every single product is much more alike then they are different.
OP. Blend to your hearts content. I've seen used oil analysis posted in the last month of frankenbrews that consisted of up to 5 different brands and grades and the posted used oil analysis were stellar.
In fact the frankenbrew's report was better that the ones posted when a consistent product was used.
Fear mongering and bovine blasting so forget it was even posted.
Sure there is a minute possibility that a non API starburst oil may have some kind of adverse chemical reaction with a different non API oil however I've never seen,read nor even heard of such a reaction.
In fact I doubt a google search would even bring up a single post or write up of this fabled/wives tale additive clash.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/246857/%2703_Honda_Civic_50/50_Mix_M1_0#Post246857

In the past Terry indicated a mix of some oils is not of optimal condition chemistry wise but shouldn't elevate wear.

Actually, mixing more than 10% can cause problems in as little as 100 miles. This was discovered by many fleet managers who learned the hard way what peanut brittle looks like in a differential when conventional and synthetics were mixed.

Even if motor oil is compatible, it should be avoided because the base stocks and additive package may react when exposed to heat.

The optimal is same brand and same type but different weight, QS with QS and Supertech with Supertech. Mixing any oil, syn and dino, of different brands will not do any harm but not optimal.

OK. What's the difference between doing no harm, and "optimal"?

If it lubricates properly for the duration of the OCI, that is, wear numbers don't go up, what's not optimal?

I don't mix oils generally, but if I'm a quart low I use whatever's handy, and if I end up with 5 quarts of mismatched SN oil, I'd gladly use them.

I used to think that mixing oils using different add packs was a bad idea and I do avoid it even now.
However, you can find very clean UOAs in that sub forum of blends of different grades, add packs and basestocks, so mixing oils should be no problem.
The OP wants to make his own syn blend of QSUD and ST?
Should be no problem at all.
As Clevy notes, add packs are more alike than different anyway.

Quote:

OK. What's the difference between doing no harm, and "optimal"?

If it lubricates properly for the duration of the OCI, that is, wear numbers don't go up, what's not optimal?

Say two formulators address a particular condition motor oil has to accommodate in different ways. Blender A uses x at a particular concentration, Blender B uses y at a particular concentration. Mix the oils evenly and the concentrations are 1/2'vd Perhaps one OCI will not generate "non optimal" results, but a history of this mixing may (e.g. varish, deposits etc)

It is akin to taking 1/2 dosages of 2 different medicines for the same condition and expecting the same results as taking a full dose of one.

This theory might be 1/2 baked.

When in doubt, dont do it. If it is synthetic oil you are using, then add synthetic to it. Ok,,that was my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back