Making new galvanized sheet metal match the old metal.

Hey guys,
I recently installed some new galvanized metal on a shed and would like to "weather" the new stuff so it matches the old tin. I see you can use toilet bowl cleaner and maybe vinegar but I also don't want to cause any rusting issues. What are your thoughts?

Put a sprinkler or misters near it and keep it wet for a few days in the hot sun. Water will evaporate and leave mineral deposits. It may not age it much but will make it dull and cloudy. Big plus if you have well water.

Last edited:
I tried some vinegar on some of the old tin as the bottom was still shiny. That actually made the old look newer again which isn't what I want. It would be nice but I am not doing the whole building as it is big. I want to make my new stuff look old.

Thanks

Can you lightly go over it with brown or tan spray paint? The light overspray will make it look dirty and aged.

Practice on the bottom or other non visible area first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Can you lightly go over it with brown or tan spray paint? The light overspray will make it look dirty and aged.

Practice on the bottom or other non visible area first.

I was thinking of this. Might be an option if can't come up with something else.

Back