Making decisions based on convenience/other factors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahoy;

Do any of you guys make maintenance decisions based on other factors besides cost-benefit analysis?

For instance, my CRV's oil filter is a complete PITA to change...so I'm choosing a 6 month M1 OCI with 12 month filter interval (max allowed by manual). Even though the oil would be good for more than 6 months, and I'll have to opt for a more expensive filter, it's worth it to me to drain early to keep on a 1 year cycle for the filter.

Ideally I'd do a 10K/1yr interval and change the M1 and filter together, but I do too many short trips to be comfortable with that. My point is that optimizing the filter interval is my goal because I hate changing it.

I've thought about doing extended (1-year) OCI's once my warranty is up, but to be truthful, it so hassle-free for me to get a $30 Pennzoil oil change at a Wal-Mart near me, that I'm thinking of just continuing to do this every 4 months and 5-7,000 kilometers. I worked at that store for years, so I trust them, and it is right on the bus route I take to work, so I can just drop off the car, bus to work, and pick it up on the way home. Also, they don't try at all to hound me into getting additional work done - I ask for an oil change, and thats what I get.

I know a lot of people have problems with getting work done at Wal-Mart, but for me at least I have never had any problems, and the convinience and value of this can't really be beat, b/c I can't do my own oil changes where I live.

I do oil changes for friends - no charge. They trust me and depend on my recommendation for oil, which always varies.

One friend is unemployed with a Mercedes ML320 hand-me-down. I recommend dino since he only drives 3K each year, but not short trips.

Another has a turbo... I insist on synthetic at 6K OCI.

Another is rich with an SLK 320. He drives long distances and insists on synthetic. I use 5W-40 instead of 0W-40.

Thanks to BITOG, I can make informed decisions.

If you are interested in keeping the vehicle for a long time, I'd get the proper tools to do the job or take it to the dealer. I can't imagine leaving an oil filter on for 12 months. I would start having bad dreams about large chunks of carbon and sludge monsters chasing me down the street.

Every car i've owned has had a challenging oil filter. I think the trick is once you've done it enough times it gets easier and easier each time as you learn little tricks to make it easier.

Everything I have is basically a 6month OCI. Spring and Fall. I adjust the oil selection accordingly ..and there are oils that will do the job in ever vehicle based on its usage.

Besides, I have jeeps that need greasing (6 zerks) and my Caravan has 2). If it went any longer I wouldn't attend to those items as I needed to.

All my personal cars see 12 month OCI. I don't drive much, plus I have more than one car... one for winter, one for summer, one for fun. The seasonal cars get an oil change just before storage.

quote:

Do any of you guys make maintenance decisions based on other factors besides cost-benefit analysis?

One of the reasons I use synthetics is so I don't have to worry about a couple extra thousand miles. If I'm busy or out of town when the magic number comes up I can put it off for a while.

"Everything I have is basically a 6month OCI. Spring and Fall. I adjust the oil selection accordingly ..and there are oils that will do the job in ever vehicle based on its usage."
---------------------------------------------------------

Gary, that's no fun.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Everything I have is basically a 6month OCI. Spring and Fall. I adjust the oil selection accordingly ..and there are oils that will do the job in ever vehicle based on its usage.

Besides, I have jeeps that need greasing (6 zerks) I have jeeps that need greasing (6 zerks) and my Caravan has 2). If it went any longer I wouldn't attend to those items as I needed to.

Only 6? Mine has 7. What's the deal? Am I greasing something that isn't supposed to get it?!
dunno.gif

Warranty fight avoidance is a concern that may (and for most, probably should) override strict cost-benefit decision making. My UOA clearly indicate that my oil will run safely well past the mfr's max recommended OCI. It would be most "cost effective" for me to change at ~15000 miles, per the UOA, but I'll stop well short, just in case of wty issues later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back