Making a list of group II Dino's

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far my list is pretty short:

Havoline
Chevron

Anybody else know for sure which others use a group II base?

I've always wondered about this...how does one find this info out? The product spec sheets don't list base oil groups and percentages, of course. And the MSDS's only mention broad oil types, and not specific base oil groups, from my recollection. Most info on oil groups in this board seem to go along the lines of, "I've heard that Brand X oil is about 50% Group II," etc., not exactly definitive sources of info when compared to manufacturers' spec sheets and the like.

The base oil used in a finished oil product can be considered a trade secret unless the company chooses to disclose it. There is no reason the same base oil must be used...more or less Group I or Group II or II+ and more or less additives can be used depending on the relative price of each.

Here's some info about formulating the next generation of motor oil, GF-4--note that ChevronTexaco sells base oil and additive packages to all comers, as well as blending their own products: http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/BaseOils/gf4.shtml

Ken

I've found out that Chevron and Havoline are the deal of the century. They actually say on the back of the bottle that it is group II.

Castrol GTX, Supertech Dino?

What about Bobil Drive Clean and Exxon Superflo?

Mikep

Those are Group 1. -Joe

[ January 12, 2004, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

You can ALMOST bet the wallet that any good, modern SL oil will be Group II. Or at least mostly II, at a minimum. (If it isn't III, IV, or V)

I'm thinking a Group I oil wouldn't pass the engine sequence tests...and if it did, it wouldn't be pretty!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
Castrol GTX, Supertech Dino?

What about Bobil Drive Clean and Exxon Superflo?

Mikep

ROFLMAO!

Bobil Drive Clean? What the heck is that? Maybe a BITOG limited edition of Drive Clean? LOL

Geez, I need to proof read a little better.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
You can ALMOST bet the wallet that any good, modern SL oil will be Group II. Or at least mostly II, at a minimum. (If it isn't III, IV, or V)

I'm thinking a Group I oil wouldn't pass the engine sequence tests...and if it did, it wouldn't be pretty!
grin.gif

I'd agree. Sounds reasonable! But what are the truths?

Actually, I think NOT ALL group II's can pass the mustard ... well maybe most could pass, but not do as well a job as they can do at the SJ level... if the company had high standards before SL: in some cases, the oil base before, may have technical problems being reformulated, in particular if they were shooting to SURPASS the "sequence" tests - say double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back