Making a lid for my air box, tips?

Hello I have a 2003 hummer h2 and The owner who had it before installed an aftermarket intake and made some aftermarket air box as you can see in the pic. The problem is that it’s not covered so it’s basically pulling hot air from the engine. I’m looking for someone to make a lid for it that is removable or something so that I can access the air filter if need be. The point of the lid is so that it’s all covered and a proper air box. This way it will be covered from the hot engine air and pull air from the side air vent.

Any tips on what to do?

I was also wondering what you would call someone who is good with this type of metal and working with stuff like this. Is it a fabricator or a welder? Just trying to see if I can find someone locally rather then paying a shop rate etc etc

B6FD908E-8198-4FCD-9D58-3D8A98B7F924.png

25D3AC58-4AC3-4C29-8C79-D01CA5EE222C.png

This is the truck that has a rear main seal leak, differential fluid issues, transmission issues, A/C problems, and a battery that keeps dying, right? Did I miss anything? You’ve asked how to fix all these issues, how to change differential oil, for example, and decided not to address the battery or fix the main seal. You’ve asked how low it can go on engine oil, how low it can be on differential oil. It’s got a host of problems that concern you. But you’re not going to fix a lot of these problems because you can’t/won’t. From your questions, maintaining this is difficult for you.

So you’re stuck with a truck that dies from a dead battery, doesn’t have AC, leaks oil, had low differential fluid, and has potential transmission and transfer case problems.

Honest question: Is it worth fixing this thing, or is it time to move on?

Last edited:
Go to the wreckers and get a factory airbox and plumbing, problem solved. From the laundry list Astro posted, burning money having something fabricated for this aftermarket Jerry Rig that could be spent on fixing the myriad other issues with the vehicle is missing the mark.

OP asked, "Any tips on what to do?"

Yes. Do what OVERKILL suggests. Frankly, even if the wreckers have your Hummer's airbox and pipes, those parts will be expensive.
You'll feel better living with the high-school-boy intake and ticking necessary repairs off your list.

Were I in your shoes, I'd find Hummer owners clubs and accurize my feel for what that vehicle is worth. Plan ahead as you do this "intel gathering".
Weigh the joy you get from this millstone against its cost.

INSPIRATIONAL ANECDOTE:
My neighbor, call him Elmer Fudd for his pained, soft mumbling, had a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. He'd always come over as I worked on cars-especially my sister's 2 Cherokees. I was forever diagnosing his '96. This included learning parts costs etc. He never fixed anything on it.
This went on for years.
Then one day he saw my ramps were out and asked if I would look at a rusted suspension element and I again agreed.
During this a brake line split open and what looked like gallons of fluid poured all over my snowy white concrete.
I exploded and told him off. I'm proud of myself for not employing profanity. Actually, I knew any foul language would only amplify my discomfort as I really just wanted to chop him up with a dull machete.

The old geezer was nice enough to replace all the Purple Power I had to use cleaning up his mess. He sold the Jeep shortly thereafter.

So, fix your Hummer or sell it. Don't make a mess.

That's a homemade airbox and you can tell nothing is sealed -- the box edges have gaps and the air tube pass-through is definitely not sealed. I'm not sure why they bothered with the rubber strips on top (lol) and I'm not sure that a lid will do any good here. If you really want to try something, I suggest you get a sheet of stainless steel and some tin snips and make your own lid :)

Go to the wreckers and get a factory airbox and plumbing, problem solved. From the laundry list Astro posted, burning money having something fabricated for this aftermarket Jerry Rig that could be spent on fixing the myriad other issues with the vehicle is missing the mark.

That sounds about right! On the other hand just set fire to the money in the sink, he wont need to even leave the house and waste time.

Back