Makeup remover on black leather

Did a search, got really nothing. How do you remove light colored oil based makeup off black leather? I've tried makeup remover. Nothing. Tried leather cleaner, nothing. If I scrub too hard, it will discolor the black leather.

Maybe cover it over with a light coating of black shoe polish? Buff it out good. Works on shoes and boots.

images

Maybe use makeup remover? Leather is skin, after all. :sneaky:

But seriously, are we talking about coated or uncoated leather? Either way, I'd gently wipe off the lipstick or whatever it is with a soft cloth. Then use a moist cloth with a tiny bit of saddle soap and try removing the stain in a circular motion. If an oil stain remains after the area has dried, apply an absorbent powder (ie rice flour) for a couple of days, then vacuum up the powder.

Would mineral spirits damage the leather? I’ve used that to get oil based paint of my hands.

Maybe use makeup remover? Leather is skin, after all. :sneaky:

But seriously, are we talking about coated or uncoated leather? Either way, I'd gently wipe off the lipstick or whatever it is with a soft cloth. Then use a moist cloth with a tiny bit of saddle soap and try removing the stain in a circular motion. If an oil stain remains after the area has dried, apply an absorbent powder (ie rice flour) for a couple of days, then vacuum up the powder.
Thanks. I'll try that, but it's coated leather, Honda CRV seats.

Thanks. I'll try that, but it's coated leather, Honda CRV seats.
A tiny bit of mild soap or saddle soap on a moist rag should be able to clean makeup off the vinyl coating. Unless the coating is damaged the stain should have never gotten into the leather.

Back