Makes you wan't to get a dashcam after seeing these video clips.

When we bought the 4Runner last month, we got an offer from Toyota Insurance to allow monitoring of our driving, which would then determine our insurance rates (the 4Runner is a 2021, and has some sophisticated monitoring and safety systems, like radar-based cruise control and collision prevention (it can totally stop the truck by itself).

I‘m not sure of the total extent of the parameters that would be monitored if we’d agreed to it. But I’m quite sure that the data they glean from it would be entered into a database that would then be shared with...other insurance companies, and....who knows who else.

No thanks.
I agreed to the Allstate one when I switched to them because they offered an immediate 15% discount if you did it. After 6 months, I’d save absolutely nothing because of the times of day I had to drive for work (night shift) and the asinine “hard” braking limit that would trigger on some hills simply because I was COASTING up them in anticipation for a stop sign at the top. 7mph/second isn’t really “hard” braking, at least in my opinion.... that’s just barely hitting them.

If they offered a discount for dash cams WITHOUT any remote connection to it I’d take them up on it... but as it is, I’ve been meaning to get 1 for each car but keep putting it off.

The second video in the OP’s initial video...who’s fault is that? Because although I think it’s the trucks fault for pulling on the highway without looking, and then cutting him off like that...the other guy still was the one who rear ended him. He could have stopped, or slowed down. And quite honestly he could have let the guy on the highway initially too.

Yet I think the blame should mostly go to the truck because he did seem to pull out into the highway without stopping and he did purposely pull in front of the guy because he was angry and wanted to brake check him. Two aggressive maneuvers. But then again the other could have stopped. So who’s at fault here in court/insurance/etc?

The second video in the OP’s initial video...who’s fault is that? Because although I think it’s the trucks fault for pulling on the highway without looking, and then cutting him off like that...the other guy still was the one who rear ended him. He could have stopped, or slowed down. And quite honestly he could have let the guy on the highway initially too.

Yet I think the blame should mostly go to the truck because he did seem to pull out into the highway without stopping and he did purposely pull in front of the guy because he was angry and wanted to brake check him. Two aggressive maneuvers. But then again the other could have stopped. So who’s at fault here in court/insurance/etc?
I’m going with 100% the trucks fault. I’m not going to research all 50 states, but you generally have to yield to traffic already on the highway so the car had the right of way... not to mention the lack of turn signal to show intent to merge. Stopping on highways like that can be illegal to begin with, not to mention dangerous for himself as well as other drivers, so I don’t think the car driver was in the wrong for not stopping. Same with slowing down, depending what was behind him it could have caused a far worse accident or involved more people. I also don’t think the truck driver would have just brake checked and been on his way.

When we bought the 4Runner last month, we got an offer from Toyota Insurance to allow monitoring of our driving, which would then determine our insurance rates (the 4Runner is a 2021, and has some sophisticated monitoring and safety systems, like radar-based cruise control and collision prevention (it can totally stop the truck by itself).
These are horrible ideas from the insurance companies, bordering on scams. Allstate is the worst, Progressive a little better, but no prize winner. They all call emergency braking to early. For example, my MB has automatic braking for following stop and go traffic, you don't need to touch the brake or gas, the car does it. Guess what, Progressive flags that as "severe" braking!
Worst of all though is the "disappearing deductible" from Allstate. The idea is you are supposed to pay extra each renewal period and you deductible goes down to nothing in, say 5 years. Guess what, you may end up with a zero deductible, but you continue to pay after it drops to zero! So in effect, you are ALWAYS paying for your deductible, even with no accidents!
To be fair, Progressive has a "Banking" feature that is similar, but to their credit, the representative suggested I avoid that.
The Progressive ODB monitor comes out after 6 months, and you keep your discount, which is good, but I just got an email asking if I wanted to reinstall it, so I think the party will be over soon.

(the 4Runner is a 2021, and has some sophisticated monitoring and safety systems, like radar-based cruise control and collision prevention (it can totally stop the truck by itself).

I have the PCS (Pre-Collision System) in my Toyota Sienna and although I admit it did save my ass once when I dozed off in the middle of traffic after a non stop drive from Orlando to NY, it does have a fault issue where it would randomly apply brakes and sometimes come to a screeching halt when driving over certain railroad crossings :oops:

I first contacted Toyota about this a couple years ago and they brushed me off saying that since the vehicle was long outside of its warranty period, I would have to pay to have it checked out at a dealer.

This was obviously a dangerous safety issue, so I uploaded a few dash cam videos of it taking place and sent them to the NHTSA :sneaky:

The very next day, I got a call from Toyota Corporate saying I should bring it to my nearest dealer and that they would give me a loaner vehicle until the matter was resolved :giggle:

They flew out an entire inspection team of field techs and production engineers to inspect it throughly :oops:

The system was recalibrated (rather involved) and tested over a nearby crossing where it happened the most, but it still randomly acts up to this day (just not nearly as often)

Toyota mapped out the location and launched an investigation as to why it was happening :unsure:

The techs told me to keep an eye on it and to continue reporting any further false activations as it may very well be grounds for a national safety recall o_O

Had to stop watching due to rising BP and getting angry.

Wife and I have a running joke that I can't go more than a few blocks from home without someone trying to kill me. It was down to 5 blocks until the neighbor girl tried backing out of their driveway without fully de-icing the windows this winter. I took off from my driveway and she guns it and starts backing out of hers almost t-boning the side of the CR-V. So now, it's down to 1 house. 🥴

After watching these vids and completing yet another WI to FL to WI roadtrip, I've decided it's time for a dashcam.

It's not a matter of IF, rather WHEN it happens. At least there will be documented evidence.

Had to stop watching due to rising BP and getting angry.

Wife and I have a running joke that I can't go more than a few blocks from home without someone trying to kill me. It was down to 5 blocks until the neighbor girl tried backing out of their driveway without fully de-icing the windows this winter. I took off from my driveway and she guns it and starts backing out of hers almost t-boning the side of the CR-V. So now, it's down to 1 house. 🥴

My cams run 24/7, so they pick up stuff that happens when I'm not driving

Like my neighbor pulling out of his driveway and getting hit by a Hummer.

He asked for the footage, but it was clearly his fault.

I keep dash cameras running in my SS race rig too. It's not me usually, but the idiocy that happens around me. Many, over-medicated seniors barreling over the double yellow at 65+ mph, Walmart creepers that don't know how to behave at 4- way stops, folks that do not understand what should happen in a two to one lane as the road restricts. (Zipper fashion, guys!)

But it also is a two edged sword. It will also brilliantly capture your own buffoonary. Case in point, but this woman has not only been speeding through my neighborhood, but also ran a neighbor off the road. And just my luck, I happened to cross her path in a war ready muscle truck. She hasn't been seen since. *^.^*

Other times when you think it would help you, it's not. I have video I submitted to the local OPD. My truck wasn't moving/ running. I was parked in a Dollar General lot when some pig-fat-chicano hoofed her trotter into the brake ventilator on my driver's side front bumper to tie her shoe. She cracked it the f**k off and then walked away. Because it happened in a private property area and not the result of a moving accident on the public roads? They're not interested. Insurance is not interested. Replacement parts *if* available? $400/piece, available only in pairs. So I live with an SS with a crooked "smile". 🥴

The truck. On-ramps have a yield for traffic and then later he tried entering a full lane without clearance or space. Now, could the dashcam have driven defensively and slowed down when he saw how ****ing stupid the truck piece of **** owner was being, maybe. But the truck was entering a lane without enough space and doing so recklessly.

The truck. On-ramps have a yield for traffic and then later he tried entering a full lane without clearance or space. Now, could the dashcam have driven defensively and slowed down when he saw how ****ing stupid the truck piece of **** owner was being, maybe. But the truck was entering a lane without enough space and doing so recklessly.
Ok, yeah I wasnt exactly sure. watched the video again and it did say it was the truck‘s fault.

But honestly, watching the first 3-4 times, I wasn’t sure. I really wasn’t. I figured...the guy made no attempt to slow down and allow him on the highway. And on the second thing, he made no attempt to slow down and just hit him. Which I actually liked because I couldn’t believe the guy in the truck would attempt to go right in front of him like that! But I was always taught that if they’re in front of you, it’s your fault if you hit them. No matter what. But I guess this is/was different and the dash cam helped his case.

Back