Make your predictions for 20 years from now...

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by DdDd
Everything Tesla related...

20 yrs from now most Motörheads will be dead. The people you're thinking to replace them don't have any interest in cars, lease with no passion and have no idea how to open a hood.

Within two decades everything will be electrified, possibly not using batteries. There will be as much interest in the ICE as we have in steam engines today. Just an esoteric technology from a bygone era.

For the time being I am enjoying my pentastar though.

I wouldn't say most will be dead. I'm a millennial, and there are quite a few gear heads my age, they just are a different type. My dad's generation had nice old Chevys and stuff from their childhood they would restore and drive 3 times a year to car shows. People from my generation are about horsepower, tuning, building, etc. Mainly because most stuff isn't built to last like the old cars were. I have quite a few automotive enthusiast friends, and none of us go to car shows. We like going to driving events, working on our cars, driving them on cruises, etc. There were a lot of people back in the day that had no interest in cars, just like there are today.

I think a lot of the engines admired in the future will be for their tune-ability, like the BMW B58. Electric has it's own great advantages like instant torque, but it can't replace the sound and feel of an ICE. The car guys I know who own a Tesla usually also own an ICE vehicle for fun like a Mustang or Vette.

It is amazing how many people have such little knowledge about what is going on under the hood of their vehicles or the vehicles of their children and or relatives.

I know it may be sexiest but I use to thing that it was mostly girls and women who did not know what was going on, and in general women are better at the side of the brain concerning speech, and men are better at the side of the brain concerning engineering. This is kinda verified by the very low percentage of young women in engineering courses in college.

But recently I have been surprised by some men not knowing what is going on under the hood. My brother who is a retired high-school math teacher did not know if his daughters vehicle had 4 or 6 cylinders and he had been corresponding with his mechanic and others on trying to figure out why it was not running right in the past. And one of his sons who is in his late 20's has no interest in driving, and had to be coaxed into learning to drive.

It may be that so many peoples lack of knowledge of the differences of what is going on with different vehicles, that allows some low quality low reliability vehicles to continue to sell year after year. If you ask some of these people what is the difference between a Chrysler and a Lexus of the same size vehicle, many of them will say price, but less of them will say quality. They just do not think about what the vehicle consist of, or how reliable that engine or transmission may be. They may not know how may cylinders it has, but they will pay attention to what color the vehicle they buy is, or how the wheels look.

Maybe it is the lack of knowledge of how long a vehicle should last verses the amount of money invested in it, that explains why vehicles that deprecate as fast as a Tesla are able to sell.

My boss had no idea she even had to put oil into her car. We worked in very high tech. She made about $400K per year and was worth every penny.
I bet she is worth at least $30M today, probably double that. Or much more... She retired at about 50 years of age.

Albert Einstein didn't know how many cylinders was in his car either.
He had a closet of the same clothes because he did not want to waste time deciding what to wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by DdDd
Everything Tesla related...

20 yrs from now most Motörheads will be dead. The people you're thinking to replace them don't have any interest in cars, lease with no passion and have no idea how to open a hood.

Within two decades everything will be electrified, possibly not using batteries. There will be as much interest in the ICE as we have in steam engines today. Just an esoteric technology from a bygone era.

For the time being I am enjoying my pentastar though.

I wouldn't say most will be dead. I'm a millennial, and there are quite a few gear heads my age, they just are a different type. My dad's generation had nice old Chevys and stuff from their childhood they would restore and drive 3 times a year to car shows. People from my generation are about horsepower, tuning, building, etc. Mainly because most stuff isn't built to last like the old cars were. I have quite a few automotive enthusiast friends, and none of us go to car shows. We like going to driving events, working on our cars, driving them on cruises, etc. There were a lot of people back in the day that had no interest in cars, just like there are today.

I think a lot of the engines admired in the future will be for their tune-ability, like the BMW B58. Electric has it's own great advantages like instant torque, but it can't replace the sound and feel of an ICE. The car guys I know who own a Tesla usually also own an ICE vehicle for fun like a Mustang or Vette.

I agree with this assessment. The expertise has grown out - folks messing with this stuff need the same mechanical skills, and a ton more electrical and tuning skills.

But while a 50yo machine with no computers can keep on running, I do have to wonder what it means for the current crop of machines. When the tuning sw and the circuit boards are failed, then what? There can't be a garage industry for everything. And that's where the interesting crossover will occur. Up to a point, a muscle car was a muscle car, and the current crop didn't have any real redeeming and comparable qualities.

Now a Camry or accord v6 can outperform many an old muscle car. And look where it's going. I'm a fan of hybrids, a semi skeptic of widespread use of eVs, but look at how fast a car like the Tesla is. Performance hat only a super car had just a few years ago.

Of course speed is only so useful, you can't legally go 150, and rocketing to highway speed is only so useful after the first few grins.

So the old big engine muscle cars are outperformed, but the new stuff can't be tweaked, just coded.

It will be interesting to see how the market for classics changes due to the performance of new cars, as time progresses.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by CT8
Looking at the past 20 years wouldn't dare predict the future 20 years.

No sir

In 20 years I'll be 80 or dead most likely !!

I am 67 years old now soooooo!

I know what you mean sir !!

Civic 1.5T
Hyundai 2.4L
GM 3.6L

crackmeup2.gif
I'm joking..
27.gif

But honestly:
Toyota 2GRFE 3.5L V6, probably one of the last good power output V6 that they'll make, with rock solid reliability.

It's a myth that we'll go electric and lose the petroleum. Imagine stripping hydrogen from methane and dumping the carbon into a bye bye well. Win win. You get the cheap energy of petro with the clean burn of EV. Just one cheap and reliable fuel cell away from fruition...

As billions more people insist on driving we'll see a mix of technologies serving up locomotion. No one tech will dominate like gasoline/diesel once did.

I think fuel cells hold as much promise as batts. And the notion of a powertrain with one moving part and no transmission is too good to pass up. To say nothing of the performance electric had to offer vs a tiny power band ICE.

Srsly years from now you will laugh and roll your eyes at how pathetic an engine is. Like using the USPS instead of email.

Apologies to the postpeople in here. 🙃

Originally Posted by JHZR2

It will be interesting to see how the market for classics changes due to the performance of new cars, as time progresses.

I have been wondering this for some time now.
My guess is interest in my old Vette will continue to wane. People will think it looks cool but will they be willing to pay big bucks?
Will the parts houses still be around? Will it be the "numbers" cars or resto-mods?
Our very original 4-4-2, which is a rare car, is probably junk to most people now.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I agree with this assessment. The expertise has grown out - folks messing with this stuff need the same mechanical skills, and a ton more electrical and tuning skills.

But while a 50yo machine with no computers can keep on running, I do have to wonder what it means for the current crop of machines. When the tuning sw and the circuit boards are failed, then what? There can't be a garage industry for everything. And that's where the interesting crossover will occur. Up to a point, a muscle car was a muscle car, and the current crop didn't have any real redeeming and comparable qualities.

Now a Camry or accord v6 can outperform many an old muscle car. And look where it's going. I'm a fan of hybrids, a semi skeptic of widespread use of eVs, but look at how fast a car like the Tesla is. Performance hat only a super car had just a few years ago.

Of course speed is only so useful, you can't legally go 150, and rocketing to highway speed is only so useful after the first few grins.

So the old big engine muscle cars are outperformed, but the new stuff can't be tweaked, just coded.

I think this is key, and why some of the more "fun slower cars" from the 1990s and early 2000s are going up in value. Even my lowly BMW 328i with it's 230hp can approach arrest-able speeds in just a few seconds. Track days are expensive, and in my area they are several hours away. Having any fun with something that has a lot of HP will just lead to jail time. This is why something like an E36 M3 appeals to enthusiasts.

A whole different factor is when coding gets locked down by manufacturers and things can no longer be tweaked.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My boss had no idea she even had to put oil into her car. We worked in very high tech. She made about $400K per year and was worth every penny.
I bet she is worth at least $30M today, probably double that. Or much more... She retired at about 50 years of age.

Albert Einstein didn't know how many cylinders was in his car either.
He had a closet of the same clothes because he did not want to waste time deciding what to wear.

That's because most people don't feel they need to know much about cars. Cars to the general public are just a form of transportation, and running them is a living expense, just like electricity, rent, etc. This is why leasing and "lifetime fluids" are so popular. Back in the day, you had to know how to adjust points and tune carburetors just to drive to work.

Back