Make Way for GTL............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

I guess it's not a stretch to think Shell is using these base oils in their Ultra line.

Quote:
Shell, which has 100 percent responsibility for marketing the base oils, appears to have been trying to use as much of the output as possible in the blending of its own finished lubricants and other products, such as process oils.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Impressive setup.

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/our-strategy/major-projects-2/pearl/overview.html

11.gif

Given the huge amount of money shell has invested into F-T synthesis, it's no surprise.

I thought Shell/Pennzoil was full of it when they first said that PU will create new class of oils called "Ultra Synthetics". I'm a believer now ever since I got to try the SN formulation of PU. This is the first Energy Conserving oil I used that survived my torture of an engine with flying colors.

25.gif
10.gif

Is all the SN Ultra the GTL base? I just got an OCI for the KIA on Wally's clearance, it was SN but the bottles were dusty, which is why they were clearancing it I imagine.

I accepted the conjecture that one of the properties of GTL is the low NOACK. It is also highly unlikely to have different base oils available for the same product and same certification.

I remember seeing somewhere that Shell referred to the SN PU as using Group III+, which is what they classify GTL.

Originally Posted By: buster
How do you know that? Just curious.

My theory is mainly based on NOACK difference between SM and SN formulations. Shells GTL basestock NOACK spec is very similar to SN formulation of PU.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pruizgarcia
I can only find it at Pep Boys.

Maybe its like the Mobil-1 5W-20HM thing, and Pennzoil doesnt realize they discontinued PU. Like Mobil-1 didnt realize they had a new product out there.
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back