Maintenance timer wire extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one of these RPM/maintenance timer gizmos for my mower. The problem is, the wire it comes with isn't long enough to reach the sparkplug cable around which it needs to be wrapped. Can I safely splice into this timer wire and make an extension or will that mess it up? I guess there is only one way to find out...

DSC_0701.jpg

I got one of those on my exmark 21. They last about 5 years then it gets hard to read the screen. Mine doesn't show rpm though.

Well, the battery in this one can be replaced, although it is covered in some kind of gooey silicone gel. We'll see how big of a PITA it's going to be to actually replace it.

The RPM display isn't very useful on a mower since most mowers are designed to run at constant RPM these days with no throttle control. My Toro (B&S 190cc engine) shows about 2800 RPM. I guess it could come in handy if one needed to adjust the RPM, but again, I'm not even sure if that's possible.

When I hooked it up to my motorcycle, the RPM at idle was fluctuating quite a bit and there was a lot of delay in the display when I cranked up the throttle. So, for real-time RPM monitoring, this $20 meter is no good. Alas, I mainly bought it for the timer functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back