Maintenance on 2002 Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dads 2002 Suburban just hit 100k miles a week or two ago and it is time to learn how to do maintenance myself (it needs coolant service, trans service [including pan drop and filter], power steering, front brakes and brake bleed because the pedal is really soft, new fuel filter, and differential oil. Now I can squeeze under it to change the oil, but it isn't fun. I want to invest in some good tools. First things I need are jack stands, floor jack and a torque wrench (and torx bits, C-clamp for brake piston)

Anyone know where I can see some detailed guides for any of those things online? I've read a few brake tutorials, are they all pretty much the same?

I work at Lowe's [and get 10% off everything] and we have all of that there.

Are 3 ton jack and jack stands enough for a Suburban? It says it has a 19.8125" lifting range, is that enough to get the tires off the ground? I measured the frame to the ground and it is about 10 1/2 inches.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...6-33680-G-593JS

Also a torque wrench seems to be required for the pan bolts, caliper bolts, and lug nuts... Is this a decent torque wrench: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

It is made by Danaher, the same company that makes the Craftsman torque wrench (except this Kobalt has a lifetime warranty).

Thanks for any help.

You look like you are off to a good start! Safety first! Take your time allow more time than you think it will take to do the job! AutoZone has some vehicle specific repair guides online for many of the tasks you want to do. Don't for get the plugs as at 100,000 miles they are spent! You will need some torex bits sockets to remove the shift cable bracket attached to the transmission in order to drop the tranny pan. Have fun working on it and know your limitations as this can be a very rewarding and at times a frustrating experience!
joe

Oh yeah, I did the plugs at about 85k or 90k miles [those wires were a pain to get off] so that is good there.

I bought all the tools I needed. I'm going to test out the jack this weekend and then proceed to get all my supplies. The Kobalt floor jack is actually quite sturdy looking. TH epicture is deceiving. This thing is enormous.

But one major thing I need to know. Where do I place the jack stands? The tire changing jack points? Or is somewhere else better?

Last edited:
Check out the rear brakes while you have it in the garage, the caliper pins have a tendency to corrode and hang up causing excessive pad wear.

Also, be careful with the transmission pan bolts, they are easy to strip.

How much should I torque them down? I think I read somewhere else about 12 ft lbs. The lowest setting on the torque wrench is 10 ft lbs, so should I just use that?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Check out the rear brakes while you have it in the garage, the caliper pins have a tendency to corrode and hang up causing excessive pad wear.

+1

This happened on my 04 Avalanche. The rear pads had to be replaced when there was still 50% + on my front pads.

Strange. The rear brakes were replaced by Firestone about a year and a half ago. They have been making a slight noise often when you let off the brake pedal. I figured they just weren't greased up well. I'll be sure to check them out. What is the worst case scenario on those? Replace the caliper?

I'm not sure where you're going with a worst case scenario question.

You should see if you can replace the pins, seals, and dust boot before getting a whole new cailper.

I just meant worst case scenario if the pins were corroded what would be needed to rectify the problem.

Not sure I'll be able to go to sleep now with this picture in my head: a beginner learning to use ramps and jack stands fixing brakes and cracking open fuel lines on a 3 ton truck. Please get someone to help you in person!

Heh, thanks for the confidence...Though I'm not a beginner completely. I'll be taking this slow, one project at a time. I've done oil changes [the whole family fleet consisting of a 2002 Suburban and Tahoe, 2005 Explorer, and my 2007 Malibu], spark plugs and wires, cleaned MAF sensors, Seafoamed an engine through the PCV hose, and even added a transmission cooler to my old Taurus. Though I suppose in the eyes of some this may be a beginner, but I love to learn how to fix thing myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back