Maintenance Minder goes long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still sitting at 30% oil life on the Honda, but I couldn't remember off the top of my head when the last oil change was. That happened at 53,900 miles. Now it has 63,136 miles. Hope they got it right, although the oil isn't that dark and I haven't had to add any. Guess it can't be doing too badly, but I have to remind myself that Honda did figure on using conventional oil.

How many miles do you drive a year? If you drive 12k a year, with a quality synthetic oil and filter 12k/1year OCI would not be that bad if you don't do alot of short trips.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Hondas are pretty much once a year these days.

I think alot of cars these days are going 10-15k per oil change.

Hmm, that does seem long. The MM hit 15% at 6,000 miles in my 2011 Civic. IIRC your CR-V has a 2.0 liter version of the same engine.

My wife's commute (she drives the Civic more than I do) is 30 min of mostly highway driving, so the car doesn't see lots of short trips, therefore I expect my OCI to be longer than average. I do only have one data point though as the car is still new.

Do you do lots of highway miles?

My 2009 CR-4 has the same 2.4Liter K24 engine as yours... The MM goes 10,000miles or more as we do at least a couple of 800 mile days during one OCI.

I am using a synthetic like you and I will run the MM down to ZERO or change on the one year anniversary of my last change.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Did you happen to disconnect your battery at any point during this OCI?
Good point......if the BATTERY dieing will reset a modern OLM/MM/etc....I see that as a WEAK point...any OLM/MM "engineers" in the group? LOL how exactly do these things work? I know some are based on mileage, and some of the newer ones are actually based on a large formula of miles driven, how hard you are on the gas (high revs, etc....), ambient temperature, engine temperature, etc....

But still, a battery going dead resetting the OLM back to 100% sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! Particularly for those drivers who ONLY maintain their vehicle when the blinker fluid light pops up on the dash!

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Did you happen to disconnect your battery at any point during this OCI?
Good point......if the BATTERY dieing will reset a modern OLM/MM/etc....I see that as a WEAK point...

In my car, disconnecting the battery will not reset the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back