Maintenance logs... How do you keep track of services?

I've searched but no meaningful results...

I am curious... how do you keep track of your vehicles maintenance services and how much "detail" do you log?

For me I don't break down the $ per mile or anything like that. I just keep a rough estimate and track of miles/dates/and items serviced in a file on computer. I also use OC sticker for next transmission service and oil change on corner on windshield.

As a "final" record I have a print out and physical copy of all parts receipts organized by date oldest to most recent. The paper copy mostly corresponds with the spreadsheet on the computer. I thought about using the Geico/carfax car care app but have not gone that far yet. I don't not log fuel cost or save fuel receipts.

Here is my basic maintenance log

IMG_2090.jpeg

I use Drivvo and Carfax through my Geico app.
Can Geico use anything like that against you because "you" maintain your vehicle and not a shop? thus you are "higher" risk?

I have Geico and listed just the oil changes but nothing else.

Can Geico use anything like that against you because "you" maintain your vehicle and not a shop? thus you are "higher" risk?

I have Geico and listed just the oil changes but nothing else.
As far as I know it's just a portal to Carfax.

Considering most people probably enter nothing, I think it's highly unlikely they could "use it against you"

I am old school, each vehicle including my fifth wheel has a clipboard in the barn. The front page is a sheet showing date, miles, hours and work done with parts used. Behind that I have receipts for the parts I buy for that vehicle.

I don’t see how people can use a computer for this stuff lol. I have to have stuff on paper. I have notebooks for the vehicles and I write down what was done and the date. If it’s something like an oil change I write down the filter brand and oil brand. I try to keep fuel and parts receipts but usually end up losing them lol. On mine mileage is exact because I record it in the book as soon as it’s done.

Pen and paper with 5 columns. Date, mileage, service done and parts used, form of payment, cost. Keep that along with receipts for the parts as well as the title and purchase documents in a folder in the filing cabinet.

I used to keep very detailed logs in paper form but then life/kids/getting older happened and the number of vehicles I am responsible for taking care of went up so now I just have an email folder with the title of each vehicle and I shoot my self an email with the service performed and current mileage each time I do something and then I move that email into the appropriate folder. That way I can look up anything done on each vehicle easily on my phone and I can shoot those quick emails easily on my phone while still in the garage so I don't forget...

I have to research this.
I used to keep very detailed logs in paper form but then life/kids/getting older happened and the number of vehicles I am responsible for taking care of went up so now I just have an email folder with the title of each vehicle and I shoot my self an email with the service performed and current mileage each time I do something and then I move that email into the appropriate folder. That way I can look up anything done on each vehicle easily on my phone and I can shoot those quick emails easily on my phone while still in the garage so I don't forget...
Wow, that brings back memories. I used to do that on the AOL software days.

A folder for the receipts and invoices , and a cover sheet with the date and maintenance performed . That's worked well for me for decades .

I've been using an app, mycars. Id like to do this on paper, but its easier for me to enter the data while going thru my receipts. Works ok for me for the multiple vehicles I've become responsible for maintaining.

I'm old school. I keep paper receipts in a file folder and write everything down in one of those pocket size notebooks that I keep in the glovebox. When I sell the car the notebook goes with it. I spend too much time with a computer doing other stuff and like to keep it simple.

I keep a mini 3-4" size notepad in the glovebox. I write down all the services with dates etc.
I tried electronic but I just kept forgetting to do it consistantly.

Honestly I don't. If I have a vehicle worked on somewhere I keep the receipt in a folder, but that's the extent of my record keeping.

Reactions: wlk

I am curious... how do you keep track of your vehicles maintenance services and how much "detail" do you log?

For me I don't break down the $ per mile or anything like that. I just keep a rough estimate and track of miles/dates/and items serviced in a file on computer. I also use OC sticker for next transmission service and oil change on corner on windshield.

As a "final" record I have a print out and physical copy of all parts receipts organized by date oldest to most recent. The paper copy mostly corresponds with the spreadsheet on the computer. I thought about using the Geico/carfax car care app but have not gone that far yet. I don't not log fuel cost or save fuel receipts.

View attachment 123515

This is better than what lots of poeple do (nothing) but why bother to use a computer, but not be consistent with times, pricing, dates, hours of time etcetera? You are missing costs, work times and cant come up with total for either based on this.

What does - OEM 45K mile suspension 130K - mean?

I use vehicle logbooks that then get passed on to the new owner when I sell the vehicle and I keep scans of major work.
When i get to the bottom of a work page in a book I tally the page and start the following with the dollar entry with the total from the prior.

View attachment 123515
I use OEM apps for dealer work, my work, independent shop work. Just easier to have coupons and recalls and things all together.

Back