Main differences in a 3/4 and 1 ton Pick up?

Take a look at what happens to towing capacity when you put a diesel in a one ton. If we are talking about mall crawlers it’s not required. If we are talking about serious towing there is no comparison. My point would be, in a towing situation, if you are going to buy a one ton, make sure it has a diesel, otherwise, just buy a 3/4 ton. ;)

View attachment 81021
The thing is, pricing and ride are nearly identical on a 1 ton vs 3/4 ton gas or diesel. Even if you never tow a single day or haul anything more than groceries you will be selling the truck someday and buyers are going to specifically search for 1 tons first.

Mike. This thread is about towing 10,000 lbs. Check the OP’s original posting. No one set the limit on how much towing were talking about, just the differences between one tons and 3/4 tons.
Fair enough, but I still don't understand what is wrong with a gas 1 ton?

I think most people feel like if you're going to do a 1 ton, then it warrants the diesel, otherwise, minus whale just get the 3/4 ton. A lot of people also don't know that the price diff between the two can be very small, similarly equipped. Most people think like gas 3/4 ton $40k vs. like 1 ton $55k with diesel.

My 12k fifth wheel thinks my gas 3500HD does just fine. After a year I have yet to hear what the engine fan sounds like. My diesel was wheezing and puffing on flat ground with a trailer half its weight.

Between the GM 6.6L gas and the Ford 7.3 Godzilla I will save my $10,000

I owned a 2013 F250 with 6.7 and while I loved it, I got rid of when I didn't need to tow much. The new gas big blocks have pretty much made the Diesel obsolete for 95% of the people that own them. Between the $10k upcharge and all the expensive stuff that breaks, I'd gladly get the Ford 7.3 if I needed to tow big numbers.

I don’t know about the new, big block gas trucks-but there is a HUGE difference in MPG towing heavy with an older truck, like double the MPG between a Cummins and BB gas. And the difference gets bigger the more you tow/haul. There’s a reason there’s no ”gasoline” electric railroad locomotives nor diesel semis!

I am curious if a 1 ton gives you more like:

As the gas vs. Diesel was already hashed out in another tread... https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/best-and-worst-diesel-pick-up-engines.348631/

Look at registration.
Arizona requires you to have "commercial" plates on a 1 ton where a 3/4 doesn't require them.
Check insurance rates.

The sticker on the door is rated for less payload on a 3/4 ton vs a SRW 1 ton. (A lighter gas engine also gives you more payload over a heavier Diesel say if you are wanting a slide in truck camper.)

You get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on a 3/4 ton. It will complain if you lower the rear tire pressure for the correct unloaded weight. Our Government decided overinflation and excess tire wear is A-Ok vs. possible underinflation.

One Tons have a Tire Pressure Reporting System and don't complain about any pressure you run.

if you take a 3/4 ton WITH the diesel option your towing capacity is never going to be exceeded before the trucks payload capacity is exceeded. The diesel option on a 3/4 cuts way into the payload capacity of the truck. For that reason I'd go with a 1 ton if equipped with a diesel.

Back