Main differences in a 3/4 and 1 ton Pick up?

Didn’t used to be that way-my ‘93 C3500 SRW had the 14 bolt GM FF rear, the biggest rear drums I’ve ever seen on a non HD truck, and an 8 leaf tall stack of rear springs. A 3/4 would have had a semi-float rear, smaller brakes, possibly even a smaller (4L60E) transmission. Newer ones aren’t like that, like my ‘11 Express 3500 with its semi-float rear, despite having a 6.0 LS & 6L80 transmission.
If you have a 3500 van you have a 6L90E. I don't know what rear end the van has. The truck starting in 2001 the gassers had the 10.5-inch full floating American Axle. The diesel and the 8.1 got the 11.5-inch. My 89 was your were 93. My 17 would tow those two turds around the planet. Not trying to be an A**, but I would never go back to an old Big Block 3 speed 4.10 rear end 1-ton TBI truck. I would just buy a 1/2 ton. It would be better.

Last edited:
GM sold the rights to the original 14 bolt to American axle sometime in the 1990's. Not sure what year, but both Dodge and GM use the 11.5 inch in the diesel.

Since 14 the gas 3/4 ton got the 10.5 and the gas 1 ton got the 11.5 inch. Not sure why, as before that unless you had an 8.1 gasser you got the 10.5-inch full floater. 10.5 is the original 14 bolt designed by GM or known as the GM Corporate 14 bolt.

Last edited:
Please tell me your thoughts on these vehicles for towing around 10,000 pounds. Gas or Diesel.

I am curious if a 1 ton gives you more like:
1. Larger/stronger frame?
2. Better brakes?
3. Better oil or water cooling?
4. Better trans cooling?
5. Better trans or stronger rear end?
6. A lot worse ride/fuel economy?

Any other thoughts?
Typically, when you compare a 3.4 ton to a 1 ton, the only real difference is the springs. You certainly could get a bigger battery if want but there is really very little difference, other than springs.

If you have a 3500 van you have a 6L90E. I don't know what rear end the van has. The truck starting in 2001 the gassers had the 10.5-inch full floating American Axle. The diesel and the 8.1 got the 11.5-inch. My 89 was your were 93. My 17 would tow those two turds around the planet. Not trying to be an A**, but I would never go back to an old Big Block 3 speed 4.10 rear end 1-ton TBI truck. I would just buy a 1/2 ton. It would be better.
Actually the ‘93 was a 6.2 diesel (that’s why the 11.5 inch FF rear), the 6.0 LS would destroy it in a pull off, but the 6.2 also could get 20 MPG-the 6.0 is lucky to get 12-13 coasting downhill. Believe the Express has only a 9.5 inch rear axle, although 4 wheel discs are nice. I would bet the ‘17 cost a little bit more too-the original price on the ‘93 was like $14,000-ish…

Last edited:
Actually the ‘93 was a 6.2 diesel (that’s why the 11.5 inch FF rear), the 6.0 LS would destroy it in a pull off, but the 6.2 also could get 20 MPG-the 6.0 is lucky to get 12-13 coasting downhill. Believe the Express has only a 9.5 inch rear axle, although 4 wheel discs are nice. I would bet the ‘17 cost a little bit more too-the original price on the ‘93 was like $14,000-ish…
Well that is no lie. That is about 27,000 dollars today. I paid 36500 for mine 2 and a half years ago with 27,000 miles on it.

Please tell me your thoughts on these vehicles for towing around 10,000 pounds. Gas or Diesel.

I am curious if a 1 ton gives you more like:
1. Larger/stronger frame?
2. Better brakes?
3. Better oil or water cooling?
4. Better trans cooling?
5. Better trans or stronger rear end?
6. A lot worse ride/fuel economy?

Any other thoughts?
I think it might depend on what you buy. I have a 2012 Ram 2500. The only differences I understand between a 2012 2500 and 3500 SRW are an additional leaf spring in the rear end to give additional payload. The items you mention on your list are the same otherwise.

For towing I’d always pick diesel. Longer life, less RPM when using it and better MPG.

Just my $0.02

Since ~2014, Ram 2500 & 3500 frame was the same, only difference was spring vs leaf rear on 2500 vs 3500.
That frame statement was right out of the factory literature, BTW.

I tow 7500-12,000 lbs. over the Sierra Nevada range.

3/4 ton would be just fine. I agree with the statement about gas 6.2/F250.
I owed one. Very capable and a good value. Always get the 4.10/4.30 axle ratio
with gas engines. Disregard the "you need diesel BS" for 10,000 lbs.

Don't overthink this.

Look at the RAM 2500 6.4L 4.10; I think that is the best value out there.
Or F250 6.2L 4.30

I was wrong about the overload spring on the 2021 Sierra 3500. It's 2 thin springs per side not one thick one like the spring pack. And Snagglefoot is right this truck has the big 11.5" rear end. So 2 things different.
overload.jpg

Pretty much no reason to get the 3/4 over the 1 ton. Resale should be stronger with more capability. Recently sold my 07 1 ton van for far more than it should have been worth, partly due to market conditions and partly due to its capability offered to the new owner.

Pretty much no reason to get the 3/4 over the 1 ton. Resale should be stronger with more capability. Recently sold my 07 1 ton van for far more than it should have been worth, partly due to market conditions and partly due to its capability offered to the new owner.
One tons are an issue of how much weight you are towing. Find out the Loaded weight of the trailer you are towing and look up the towing capacity of the truck.

I did, and being passed by diesels doesn't bother me any more than it would in a 3/4 ton gas, which is not a bit. I'm not racing, and the $10k price difference and added operating costs of an oil burner made it a no go for me.
Take a look at what happens to towing capacity when you put a diesel in a one ton. If we are talking about mall crawlers it’s not required. If we are talking about serious towing there is no comparison. My point would be, in a towing situation, if you are going to buy a one ton, make sure it has a diesel, otherwise, just buy a 3/4 ton. ;)

03F2DC71-68C5-4ABF-95D7-AA69AED87D4F.png

Last edited:
Are you towing over 20,000 lbs? If not, you didn’t screw up. :)
Snagglefoot I am going to fire a shot here, but you strike me as the kind of guy on the RV board that might say this:

You have a 3000lbs pop up? You need a 1 ton dually diesel for that.

Not everyone needs a Diesel. I live in a pretty mountainous part of the States and My truck isn't' even sweating pulling 7800lbs around Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. I don't daily drive it. In the 2017 I ended up getting the larger rear end and one extra spring.

I have a one ton 2007 f350. 5.4L, 2WD, regular cab. Researched for years and could not find a quantitative difference in the 2007 F250 and F350 except the labels on the truck that said F350. As Jimmy Russell mentioned, tire ratings may also come into play in base model HD trucks.

For a 2007 Ford Super Duty, unless special options are ordered, I don't believe any difference.
My F-350 4x4 with 7.3 Powerstroke had major differences compared to the F-250. The ones that I remember, and come quickly to mind, were the front axles and the differentials. The F-350 had a solid axle vs independent on the F-250 and the F&R diffs were heavier-duty on the F-350.

Here's something of a comparision: https://www.riverbend-ford.com/research/f-250-vs-f350.htm

Mike, stay in the slow lane. I live in the mountains as well. I mentioned that if you buy a one ton, might as well get the diesel, otherwise stick to a 3/4 ton. Towing 10,000 lbs? Try out a diesel and you’ll never go back. And I’m not talking about the girly man 3.0

Last edited:
Mike, stay in the slow lane. I live in the mountains as well. I mentioned that if you buy a one ton, might as well get the diesel, otherwise stick to a 3/4 ton. Towing 10,000 lbs? Try out a diesel and you’ll never go back. And I’m not talking about the girly man 3.0
Must have been a long time since have owned a gasser or towed with something modern. I have no problem going the speed limit on any of the passes I go over. 60 or 65. I really have no need to go 70 towing 32 feet of trailer. Let me ask you how fast do you want me to go? Your logic makes no sense to me. My used truck was no more expensive then a used 3/4 ton or some half tons for that matter. I am not towing 10,000lbs. I wasn't spending 10,000 dollars more for vehicle that sees on a heavy year 4,000 miles put on it.

Must have been a long time since have owned a gasser or towed with something modern. I have no problem going the speed limit on any of the passes I go over. 60 or 65. I really have no need to go 70 towing 32 feet of trailer. Let me ask you how fast do you want me to go? Your logic makes no sense to me. My used truck was no more expensive then a used 3/4 ton or some half tons for that matter. I am not towing 10,000lbs. I wasn't spending 10,000 dollars more for vehicle that sees on a heavy year 4,000 miles put on it.
Mike. This thread is about towing 10,000 lbs. Check the OP’s original posting. No one set the limit on how much towing were talking about, just the differences between one tons and 3/4 tons.

Back