Main differences in a 3/4 and 1 ton Pick up?

Please tell me your thoughts on these vehicles for towing around 10,000 pounds. Gas or Diesel.

I am curious if a 1 ton gives you more like:
1. Larger/stronger frame?
2. Better brakes?
3. Better oil or water cooling?
4. Better trans cooling?
5. Better trans or stronger rear end?
6. A lot worse ride/fuel economy?

Any other thoughts?

I am in the boat for get more truck than you need. Especially if you ever want to tow bigger in The future.

I drive a 1 ton daily, and have no complaints. The frames are likely similar. Springs are different, “may” have a firmer ride unloaded. Differential Gearing may be different, depending on engine/trans combo. It will have similar if not the same cooling systems unless there is a specific option for HD cooling. Brakes are also likely to be about the same.

The big jump is 1/2 to 3/4.

The 3/4-1ton to get DRW is bigger than most of the other changes.

now talking differences between 3/4 and 1 tons SRW that depends on specific trucks.

Could be 1 leaf, different axle etc.

The difference on newer GM trucks between a 2500 and 3500 truck is the overload spring on the rear axle and the spring stops on the frame. Every thing else is exactly the same if the trucks are spec'd the same.

The rear of the truck has to squat 3 inches before the overload spring engages so it rides exactly like a 2500 empty.

The difference on newer GM trucks between a 2500 and 3500 truck is the overload spring on the rear axle and the spring stops on the frame. Every thing else is exactly the same if the trucks are spec'd the same.

The rear of the truck has to squat 3 inches before the overload spring engages so it rides exactly like a 2500 empty.
So a one ton really isn't any heavier duty than a 3/4 ton in various performance equipment?

Yes a one I ton will have several of those segments beefed up, starting with a stronger rear end. I would say add 20% to the actual load and decide. 10,000 lbs x 1.2 = 12,000 lbs. There is a lot of references listing max tow capacity. Some older 3/4 tons shouldn’t be towing 12,000 lbs.

If you want to run with the big dogs, you need a 1 ton diesel. I wouldn’t bother buying an one ton with a gas engine.

The draw back? Usually the ride sucks and it will soak up your kids college fund.

Last edited:

I think the 3500 might have E load tires and the 2500 D load, but I'm not 100% on that.

Reactions: GON
I have a one ton 2007 f350. 5.4L, 2WD, regular cab. Researched for years and could not find a quantitative difference in the 2007 F250 and F350 except the labels on the truck that said F350. As Jimmy Russell mentioned, tire ratings may also come into play in base model HD trucks.

For a 2007 Ford Super Duty, unless special options are ordered, I don't believe any difference.

For Chevy 14 bolt diffs, the middle ring and pinion is for a 3/4 ton. The set on the left is for a 1 ton.

DF82C561-EC05-436C-B34F-6C8A55C47BD4.png

I have a one ton 2007 f350. 5.4L, 2WD, regular cab. Researched for years and could not find a quantitative difference in the 2007 F250 and F350 except the labels on the truck that said F350. As Jimmy Russell mentioned, tire ratings may also come into play in base model HD trucks.

For a 2007 Ford Super Duty, unless special options are ordered, I don't believe any difference.

:geek:
The difference is the F-250's have a 2" rear block, and the F-350's have a 4" rear block.

Reactions: GON

With the fords of that era the 350s had 4'' blocks under the rear springs and a slightly different spring. Otherwise the 250/350 were identical apart from weight ratings. Around 01/02 the F250s started getting the same axles as the F350s.

On my 01, everything is identical except spring rates, rear spring blocks and the F-350 go the 60 front/10.5 rear instead of the 50 front/60 rear.

On older trucks/vans, 1 tons tended to have full-float rear axles, bigger/stiffer springs & brakes, and higher load range tires. Many even had stronger transmissions then LD ones, like GM's 4L80E/6L80 in place of the 4L60E. These days, I'm not sure there's as much difference as before. For example. Transit 150/250/350s all have the exact same engine and transmission, the 350s MAY have puny dually wheels and tires, but there's not much difference anymore. All weak...

GM? The only difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW is one leaf spring and payload. If you go diesel there are differences between the Gas and Diesel 3/4 ton and 1 ton. I also disagree with Snagglefoot, nothing wrong with a Gas 1 ton they typically have more payload than their diesel counterpart and in GM again we are talking one leaf spring. Depends on what you are doing with it.

Last edited:
GM? The only difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW is one leaf spring and payload.
Didn’t used to be that way-my ‘93 C3500 SRW had the 14 bolt GM FF rear, the biggest rear drums I’ve ever seen on a non HD truck, and an 8 leaf tall stack of rear springs. A 3/4 would have had a semi-float rear, smaller brakes, possibly even a smaller (4L60E) transmission. Newer ones aren’t like that, like my ‘11 Express 3500 with its semi-float rear, despite having a 6.0 LS & 6L80 transmission.

On older trucks/vans, 1 tons tended to have full-float rear axles, bigger/stiffer springs & brakes, and higher load range tires. Many even had stronger transmissions then LD ones, like GM's 4L80E/6L80 in place of the 4L60E. These days, I'm not sure there's as much difference as before. For example. Transit 150/250/350s all have the exact same engine and transmission, the 350s MAY have puny dually wheels and tires, but there's not much difference anymore. All weak...
I disagree. I had an 89 GMC 1 ton big block, my 2017 is 10,000 times more truck with better gas mileage and way more capability.
Also, the 4L80E was replaced by the 6L90E which is better than the 6L80E which replaced the 4L60E.
Since 2001 The difference between a 3/4-ton 6.0 GM and 1-ton SRW 6.0 has been one leaf spring.
In 2007 for the Non-Classic body style 3/4 ton and up gasser got the 6L90E

Back