Mailing a handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
When's the last time you ever had a package lost by UPS or Fedex?
It's never happened to me with hundreds of packages delivered to multiple locations.

If you can find an FFL willing to complete the shipping process with USPS for under $30 than that's clearly the best option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toros
When’s the last time you ever had a package lost by UPS or Fedex?

Last year.

Also:
Originally Posted By: ATF.GOV
Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition...

The serialized part (or parts), usually the frame where handguns are concerned is considered the firearm.

Last edited:

With either UPS or Fed Ex I would worry more about stolen than I would lost. I'm always careful when I have a delivery coming from either. Luckily I'm retired, so I make it a point to be home with the front door open on the day when I'm expecting a delivery. They almost ALWAYS leave it at the front door. Many times they not only won't ring the doorbell, but they don't even attempt to hide the package. Leaving it in plain view up against the front door to anyone who walks by. (I have a large support pillar on my front porch that they could easily hide it behind).

They tend to deliver in my neighborhood about the same time school lets out. So I have droves of kids walking by my house. With a package sitting there it's just too tempting. So as soon as they approach the front door to deliver the package, my dog starts barking letting me know they're there. I immediately retrieve the package. If I was living alone and working, I shudder to think how many packages I would have had stolen by now.

Yep manufacture sending a shipping label,all new to me,thanks for the correct information on this. I remember sending a rifle to Magna Port for barrel porting and did it through USPS but that's the difference with long guns and handguns + being 30yrs.ago!
Thanks to all.
DD

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I had to send one to Ruger for repair. They sent a FedEx label. I packaged it up, attached the label, and dropped it at FedEx. After repair, Ruger returned it via UPS.

Similar experience with Walther.

I'm surprised that the OP didn't get detailed shipping instructions, including a label, from the manufacturer.
+1.

It is my understanding that an individual CAN mail a handgun back to the manufacturer or to a gunsmith for repairs. Not sure about the gunsmith, but almost certain that you can mail to the manufacturer.

I've shipped several handguns over the years as an FFL holder and a non-FFL holder. If you have a local dealer that is willing to ship it for you for under $35, that's the way to go. It's not legal for you to ship a handgun (field stripped or not!) or the part of a handgun, usually the frame, that is considered the "firearm" by the BATFE via USPS unless you have a valid FFL.

As a non-license holder you are allowed to ship to a FFL holder or manufacturer via UPS or FedEx, but they have special requirements that require you to ship it 2nd day which is very expensive unless you have a business account with them.

Local FFL dealers around here will ship a handgun for me for $25-$35 and they typically use UPS. For me to ship the same handgun UPS, it's usually $75-$125 depending on what part of the USA.

Originally Posted By: otis24
It is my understanding that an individual CAN mail a handgun back to the manufacturer or to a gunsmith for repairs. Not sure about the gunsmith, but almost certain that you can mail to the manufacturer.

This was covered in my links, but it bears repeating.

An unlicensed individual absolutely CANNOT “mail” (meaning USPS) a handgun. They can ship it by common carrier (UPS, Fed EX) provided they follow the rules, and there are quite a few rules.

I called Rugers CS dept when I sent my LCP back for warranty work. They told me to wrap the original box in wrapping paper, attach the shipping label they provided via email, take it to a ups service center ( two miles away for me). They explicitly told me not to mail it. They replaced the slide under warranty and returned it to me via UPS within a week.

Originally Posted By: billt460

With either UPS or Fed Ex I would worry more about stolen than I would lost. I'm always careful when I have a delivery coming from either. Luckily I'm retired, so I make it a point to be home with the front door open on the day when I'm expecting a delivery. They almost ALWAYS leave it at the front door. Many times they not only won't ring the doorbell, but they don't even attempt to hide the package. Leaving it in plain view up against the front door to anyone who walks by. (I have a large support pillar on my front porch that they could easily hide it behind).

They tend to deliver in my neighborhood about the same time school lets out. So I have droves of kids walking by my house. With a package sitting there it's just too tempting. So as soon as they approach the front door to deliver the package, my dog starts barking letting me know they're there. I immediately retrieve the package. If I was living alone and working, I shudder to think how many packages I would have had stolen by now.

You need to send it and have it returned with signature required,.

It's never happened to me with hundreds of packages delivered to multiple locations.

A couple months ago. Shipped a handgun to a dealer near Chicago. It was "out for delivery" three or four times then UPS lost track of it completely.
A little more recently, we had a delivery of multiple "firearms," lost coming from a distributor (I work at a gun store).
I've also seen guns damaged and nearly destroyed by the shippers.

I have shipped both when I had an FFL and as an ordinary citizen. An ordinary citizen can ship back to a factory for service, to an FFL gunsmith for work, or to themselves. You must ship by UPS or FedEx by law. You cannot ship via USPS unless you have an FFL. UPS and FedEx have their own regs, mostly aimed at reducing theft during transit.

If going back for repairs, always contact the manufacturer first for specific instructions and a mailing label. They may even send you a box if you need one. Ship by FedEx whenever possible; if you are an NRA member, you can get a discount.

Shipping through a dealer can be quite expensive -shop around. Avoid doing so whenever possible. Go directly to a UPS or FedEx shipping Center. Be sure your gun is fully insured and follow ALL laws and regulations. Retain all paperwork and tracking information.

I shipped a couple of revolvers to S&W a couple of years ago, and then they shipped them back. All by Fedex. They handle firearms differently than their regular packages. I would insure, however, because anything can happen.

The last time I shipped one for repair, Ruger sent me a Fed-Ex label that I stuck on the box and then dropped off at a hub. It was returned via Fed-Ex signature required.

Per their instructions and my understanding of law/Fed-Ex policy(not sure which is which) the package can't bear any indication that it contains a firearm BUT it must be verbally declared when handing it over the counter.

As best as I recall, the label was addressed to "SRC, inc" or something similarly generic.

I recently had to ship a rifle back to Smith & Wesson. They sent me a FedEx shipping label and I dropped it off at the local FedEx store.

I asked the guy at the store if they needed to know what was in the package. He said, "No". I think he inferred from that, that it was a gun, and did not care.

When it came back to me (also from FedEx), I had to sign for it, for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
Returning a handgun to manufacture for repair,what mailing service is best and easiest to use
USPS,UPS or Fedex??
Thanks in advance. DD

I've shipped an SBR via FedEx, and plenty of regular firearms UPS HUB. The only one I had an issue with was a Suppressor, and it was the dumb [censored] at the counter being all "What do you need that thing for? What's it do? It looks like a bomb!" Her superior set her straight and off it went.

You need to ship all ammo/guns from a UPS hub, technically.

On the flip side, I've had people ship me a full case of 5.56 (1000 rounds) via US Postal, no ORM-D, lol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I recently had to ship a rifle back to Smith & Wesson. They sent me a FedEx shipping label and I dropped it off at the local FedEx store.

I asked the guy at the store if they needed to know what was in the package. He said, "No". I think he inferred from that, that it was a gun, and did not care.

When it came back to me (also from FedEx), I had to sign for it, for obvious reasons.

Very personal responses from the stores. UPS stores won't ship ANYTHING gun related. I shipped a Nightforce NXS once, and the woman looked at me and said "This is a birding monocular, is it not? How much insurance do you want on your BIRDING MONOCULAR?" and off it went, listed as a Nightforce birding monocular, model NXS 1-4, rofl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back