Mahle OX 154/1D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this for my upcoming oil change in the 530i:

DSC_7116-4.jpg

DSC_7119-3.jpg

For comparison, here is one from about 7 years back. I guess they no longer paint the letters like they used to:
mahle_oil_filter.jpg

For some reason I always feel like Mahle filters are "softer" than the OE Manns. Like the Manns have some resistance when I try to squeeze them but Mahle I could probably crush. Im also surprised its an ECO with plastic end caps.

Quote:
.... Im also surprised its an ECO with plastic end caps.

If one follows cartridge filter construction in general, 'in my observation' a great many cartridge filters use a composite/nylon/plastic type endcap. Perhaps it is the most common type cartridge endcap currently. Can't confirm that, but it's not uncommon construction.

Goes with the plastic/nylon type centertube cage many/most use. This one obviously uses a housing integral center tube cage only. Filter inner cage not required here.

This filter is an example of why I like cartridge style oil filers. Like Quattro Pete I have a BMW M54 motor in my fleet. The filter media is very large on BMW cartridge style oil filters. I've seen several "large" spin on filters that, when cut open, had surprisingly small filter media assemblies. My wife's E90 BMW has an equally large filter, as did our recently sold C-class Mercedes.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Austrian Mahle filter Pete showed us. I've used that same exact filter. Several years ago I switched to German-made Hengst. I include a photo of a Hengst for my M54 (like Pete's) just for comparison. For reference, these filters are 4 inches tall and 3 1/4 in diameter. That's good-sized IMO. My wife is less impressed. :))

IIRC, the plastic end caps are used on the Eco versions because the plastic is compounded to be fully recyclable. FWIW.

Scott

I remember reading that Mahle considers a filter eco if it can be incinerated completely without leaving any residual pieces, I just figured that it meant no plastic caps, more paper like Mann. But I guess plastic burns nicely.

Many of the Mahle numbers have moved to the ECO designation.

The filter for the M6 and 550i I just ordered from Amazon is a OX 353/7D ECO.

Now my son's Z4M filter hasn't moved to the ECO.

It uses an OX 187D still with metal endcaps.

I haven't seent a cartridge filter with metal end caps since the older Purolators, back when they were the OEM filter manufacturer for BMW.

The S52 and S52 both use metal end caps, although I know that Mann produces filters that are ECO for these engines as well. All paper end caps.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Bought this for my upcoming oil change in the 530i:

DSC_7116-4.jpg

DSC_7119-3.jpg

Looks good. Can't go wrong with Mahle, Mann, or Hengst for Euro cars, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back