magnetic plugs and filter magnets BLACKSTONE TEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I am planning to do an oil analysis BUT I have (1) question. I have an engine oil filter magnet by FILTERMAG and also a magnetic drain plug. Will my test results be more accurate without these? Obviously, some particles will be stuck in my filter and drain plug.

Thanks~!

I Would venture to say iron readings will be lower, since most of the iron suspended in the oil will be caught by one of your magnets. All other wear metals shouldn't be effected.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I Would venture to say iron readings will be lower, since most of the iron suspended in the oil will be caught by one of your magnets. All other wear metals shouldn't be effected.

AD

I would not be so sure about that. $20 UOA's measure Fe (and other metals) in solution (and maybe some tiny particles). How much of this sticks to a magnet? In solution, none.

Maybe a fun experiment would indeed to get two 500 ml samples of a nice long run oil in a car with no maggot. Then get a nice strong neodymium maggot and pour/soak/suspend the maggot in one of the samples and send both in.......

Blackstones official response was that magnets do not impact the UOA's. The particles the magnets pickup are too large to be seen via spectography. The particles in a UOA are too small to be picked up by the magnet.

Do a search, this has been discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back