Magnetic filtering on engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Various companies have aftermarket attachments to the engine oil filter for magnetic filtering. What are your opinions and experiences?

I plan to experiment by putting on the outside of the engine oil filter some 1" rare earth magnets with backing cups to intensify the field (from Lee Valley). These are STRONG! Keep away from credit cards, computer monitors, and watch out for a nasty pinch! I figure UOA ICP is the best test to track results.

There are mixed views on this since they could be very effective on ferrous particles less than 5 micron, particularly submicron, but would not do much for copper, aluminum, and other wear metal particles that are not magnetic. Some views state those softer wear particles are malleable (sp?) enough to not be as much a problem as Fe.

Some vendors
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348
http://www.filtermag.com/
http://www.enginesentry.com/tech_bulletin.html
http://www.aeromag.net/
http://www.streetperformance.com/index.html?catid=242835631
http://magna-guard.com/MagnaGuard.html
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html (down the page)

Thots? Experiences? Opinions?
confused.gif

A decent oil filter should capture the metal particles, and if your engine is shucking that much metal I doubt a magnet will do much good.

I thought about trying Filtermag, but chose not to. I was concerned that such a strong magnet would somehow impact the pressure bypass valve, or even pull the center tube off to the side. I may opt to go with a magnetic drain bolt instead. For now, I feel that my Amsoil EAO13 oil filter is doing a good job.

Quote:

A decent oil filter should capture the metal particles, and if your engine is shucking that much metal I doubt a magnet will do much good.

From what I understand, most passenger oil filters are in the 25 to 40 micron range, apparently new Honda filters are 10 micron. Typical ICP on UOA picks up particles under 6 micron due to physical limitations of the system.

Most rolling element bearings suffer indentations leading eventually to spalling typically from particles up to 1 micron, and the larger particles initially are too large to get between the bearing and race until they get chewed up somewhere. I conclude the filter will only prevent the larger particles from circulating but the small ones will not.

I would expect most filters to capture similar amounts of larger particles but the fine particles may be aided by the magnets and these particles are the most critical, ironically. I do not think it is worth investing piles of money into however. I will check the UOA and see if there is a reduction in iron once I put the magnets on.

The use of a very strong (Neodymium) magnet(s) on the exterior surface of an oil filter is a total win/win. Even the best full flow oil filter (Amsoil Eao) is effective to 10 microns. Ferrous particles below 10 microns get a free ride. Attaching a very strong field magnet will capture the ferrous particles ranging from angstrom level to chunks and clunks, all on the OUTER surface of the filter, prior to going through the element. Thus unloads the element to capture non-ferrous with greater efficiency and enables the filter unit to filter the really abrasive ferrous down to sub micronic levels.. And then just transfer the magnets from filter to filter. I have cut open many, many filters that have had Neo's attached and in every case a significant amount of ferrous was present on the inner surface wall..
It is of such little cost, it works well (IF strong, high quality Neo) as a filter and is re-usable...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Whether or not a magnet impacts an oil filter's pressure bypass valve is the $1,000,000 question. A couple of months ago I emailed Filtermag and asked this question. They replied that pressure bypass valve operation is in no way impacted by the use of their product.

I also have concerns that the metal tube that supports the filter media may shift towards the magnet. UOA's seem to indicate that this does not happen, but I have not seen conclusive testing one way or the other.

I am left wondering if using a strong magnetic drain bolt is the best solution. Honda uses magnetic drain bolts on their automatic transmissions, so I feel that it is a fairly safe bet that it would work well on the oil pan as well.

I can't see any magnet being strong enough to disturb the center tube ..nor should it have any effect on the ADBV. I'd also find it odd if it managed to alter the function of a closed end bypass valve. A spring doesn't care if it's near a magnet. It doesn't collapse like it's near a blackhole. It stays a spring.
dunno.gif
I guess you could test one on a cheap filter to see if you can flex the clicker (if you can find a clicker).

But I can envision the structure getting distorted so the mechanism sticks and binds. The spring don't care, but what it closes might.

Maybe these magnets only belong on filters with plastic valves. I can see the headlines now. Fram is finally appreciated.

Quote:

Whether or not a magnet impacts an oil filter's pressure bypass valve is the $1,000,000 question. A couple of months ago I emailed Filtermag and asked this question. They replied that pressure bypass valve operation is in no way impacted by the use of their product.

I also have concerns that the metal tube that supports the filter media may shift towards the magnet. UOA's seem to indicate that this does not happen, but I have not seen conclusive testing one way or the other.

I am left wondering if using a strong magnetic drain bolt is the best solution. Honda uses magnetic drain bolts on their automatic transmissions, so I feel that it is a fairly safe bet that it would work well on the oil pan as well.

I have benn using a neodymium magnetic drain plug in my Civic's engine and transmission now for years with no problems.

Harry
driving.gif

I use two very strong neo magnets that are about 1 and 1/2 inches by 1 inch and are curved to fit the filter (got off of ebay). I simply put them on opposite sides of the filter in order to offset any possible movement of the center tube as stated in above post.

On Chevy small blocks, the bypass is made of some kind of composite material in an aluminum housing. I would have no problem using filtermag on that. I use magnetic drain plugs on everything. My Yukon came with one from the factory. They always pick up some particles when the engine is young, but after a while... Nothing. I haven't seen anything on that magnet in many oil changes.

Actually I wonder if much of the magnet field even gets through the filter casing. Most of the field probably stays in the metal can.

Do a test with a coil of wire and voltmeter.

I do have magnetic drain plugs on several applications (from factory). Usually a small amount of "graphite-looking" stuff can be wiped off.

When I changed automatic tranny fluid on a GM at 100K miles, there was a magnet in the pan that attracted the same stuff, which I wiped off.

There is at least one thread here where someone mentioned weird filter clicking sounds with those 'filter end' mounted high power magnets. So, it is a possibility that a magnet might affect a metal spring/valve BPV.
Simply using diameter mounted magnets is more fail safe if BPV performance causes you to loose sleep.

Iron isn't to common in a VOA. What in an oil additive package can be affected? Not worth worrying about!

Quote:

Actually I wonder if much of the magnet field even gets through the filter casing. Most of the field probably stays in the metal can.

Do a test with a coil of wire and voltmeter.

I do have magnetic drain plugs on several applications (from factory). Usually a small amount of "graphite-looking" stuff can be wiped off.

When I changed automatic tranny fluid on a GM at 100K miles, there was a magnet in the pan that attracted the same stuff, which I wiped off.

I tested it with my magnet on the outside of a food can and it will still hold a washer in place on the inside.

I have been involved in Neo (ultra strong mangets) use on oil filters for many, many years and have experienced nothing but positives, to include piston engine aircraft use. It is a total win/win.. The field is reduced to nil by the time it gets to a center tube or drain back valve. The field is fairly strong right at the surface of the oil filter can but degrades at a very high rate. Which is why regular magnets are next to worthless as a magnet filter; nothing is left of the field on the inside of even a thin metal can. With a high quality Neo, significant field exists on the can and works very well as a ferrous filter.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back