"magnetic" driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry guys, nothing about MAGLEV...

don't you hate it when somebody close to your lane just comes closer and closer to you, sometimes even passing over the painted lane dividers into your lane?
(like they are attracted by your car/presence...) they where not trying to change lane for sure...
-i had an experience this morning with a semi that could not keep self into second lane.
-2 days ago a school bus had to drive between 2 lanes...
-then last week a guy almost comes into my lane (3rd). he also had extra shoulder...

i just don't get it... i'm not even trying to be in their blind spots...

any car, they just cannot keep themselfs in their lanes...
i just don't get it. North american traffic lanes are large enough for an oversize semi...

Lately I've been having people changing lanes without looking and nearly hitting me. Peoples IQ levels sure have dropped, can't be bothered to get off the phone to look into a mirror and see me.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lately I've been having people changing lanes without looking and nearly hitting me. Peoples IQ levels sure have dropped, can't be bothered to get off the phone to look into a mirror and see me.

my elantra was red and still didn't matter....

If people are texting it's your responsibility to get out of their way. Same with women doing their makeup. And remember, if you don't know anything about physics then 10 feet is enough separation between vehicles in the same lane at 80 miles per hour. Young people in a new car have so much to do while they are driving down the road, setting the climate control, the seat position, the mirrors, the sound system, the blue tooth setup for voice, the seat warmer, the cruise control and all this before they start texting.

Its because you are in Chicago
wink.gif

Having driven in Chicago.. I realize why so many road related deaths.. I remember the sign I believe it was near or on the skyway that says how many road related deaths per year?

Last edited:
I have it happen to me a couple of times a week. As soon as I see the person getting too close....I wail on the horn without even looking at them.

Seems to work.

at least you dont have those boob trucks there....

that caused 500 accidents in one day.(russia)

You got that right Smokescreen. Texting while driving is going to get more of us killed. There just isn't anyway to defend yourself from the @** #*%$* who drive and text. I am seeing more and more of this.People are just not showing any concern for the welfare other drivers. I wish our state legislature would make the penalty for this idiotic lunacy much more stringent. Last week we had a teenage girl run into the back of a small tractor while texting. The man on the tractor died. The driver told the State Patrol that she had been texting but had quit before the accident. Records are going to show she was texting when she hit the tractor. Too bad she didn't collide with one of the large tractors in use in our area. I hope she serves time for motor vehicle manslaughter.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I loath texters...worse than drunkards and potheads.

Here in college-town Ames, almost everyone is texting and driving. It is so irritating and downright dangerous. You can see them from far away, head down, drifting left and right in their lane, sitting at green lights until someone honks. More dangerous than drunk driving and dumber too, since they're sober when they decide! It doesn't matter if I'm in the 20 foot long bright-red suburban or the 7 foot tall black Jeep...they don't see anything on the road but the glow of their phone.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If people are texting it's your responsibility to get out of their way. Same with women doing their makeup. And remember, if you don't know anything about physics then 10 feet is enough separation between vehicles in the same lane at 80 miles per hour. Young people in a new car have so much to do while they are driving down the road, setting the climate control, the seat position, the mirrors, the sound system, the blue tooth setup for voice, the seat warmer, the cruise control and all this before they start texting.

Young people can usually figure all of those things out in a few seconds, and with only one hand. It's the old fogies who need to take their already poor vision off the road for extended periods of time to figure out these new-fangled controls, not realizing that the volume can be upped or downed via the steering wheel controls.

See, I can generalize, too! :p

In all honesty, it truly is the older and younger drivers I have the most problems with. Regardless, it's all about experience, wariness and attention. IMO, this is a three-legged stool, so if one of these is lacking, the other two need to make up for it.

This is why we have newer cars with lane departure warning systems, auto braking, etc... All the while we add more distractions in the cockpit (infotainment). We apparently are to busy to pay attention to the finer details of driving. This is unfortunate since some of us still enjoy driving/riding and try to do it well.

Most people just assume the other driver is texting. The fact is, our roads are full of bad drivers. The driver training is a joke. If we make it more difficult to get a driver license, and make it easier to lose, people would pay more attention. Of course, people would never go for that because it's inconvenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back