Magnetic Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend high end magnetic plugs. The el cheapo plugs found at autozone don't even come close in strength. Trust me, i've compared them when a buddy of mine decided to go cheap. The end result was that he returned it and bought the real deal.

Mfactory sells a good plug.
http://www.teammfactory.com/magnetic-drain-plugs

Select your vehicle make from the menu on the left.

here is mine:

drainbolt.jpg

drainbolt2.jpg

Ha! Before I went to the website and saw the plug I thought the post on the plug in your picture was all metal that it had collected. It looked kinda scary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

everyone knows the search function here is nearly impossible, especially if your new here. If the same questions didn't resurface every few weeks, there would be nothing to talk about here on BITOG.

Yes, you are right about search function kaput as far as I remember. Moderators: is there a reason for that?

This is why one should use Google search here.

The thing is, OP started this thread in a wrong forum, while there was another one, under exactly the same name, in the automotive forum where it belongs.

Originally Posted By: wing0
Interesting. I thought about this too so I did a quick search on ebay.

Anyone have comments on the this one?
Picture shows it's quite strong.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TC-SPORTLINE-MAGN...369&vxp=mtr

I actually have a magnetic drain plug from this seller on my Pathfinder, just installed it this past oil change. I will try to remember to take a couple photos of the drain plug when I do an OCI. It seemed fairly strong to me, it was a little annoying to install the drain plug since it kept wanting to stick to the sides of the steel oil pan.

I have the ones with weaker ceramic magnet and they are hard to put in straight. I would not buy the neodymium super magnets as they are way more expensive, would be very hard to screw in correctly, and neodymium is not high temp tolerant.

Yeah I just wanted a Magnetic with the strength of a transmission magnet. I am super surprised neither of my Toyota's Transmission Drain Plugs do NOT have a magnet. When I changed my 2008 Acura TL Type - S the magnet was covered in metal shavings! Maybe Toyota knows something Acura does not, but I am not taking any chances, all my pans (oil and tranny) will be getting a magnetic drain plug!

Originally Posted By: firefighter0629
Yeah I just wanted a Magnetic with the strength of a transmission magnet. I am super surprised neither of my Toyota's Transmission Drain Plugs do NOT have a magnet. When I changed my 2008 Acura TL Type - S the magnet was covered in metal shavings! Maybe Toyota knows something Acura does not, but I am not taking any chances, all my pans (oil and tranny) will be getting a magnetic drain plug!

Are you talking AT? Is so, there is a magnet in the pan, so magnetic drain plug is not that crucial to have. Engine oil is a different story.

Friendly, yeah I am looking for both! My wife will keep here 2006 Toyota Sienna forever if I take care of it for her. It currently sits with 65,500 miles on it! Thanks for all the input everyone! Next oil change at 70k I will be installing a magnet in the transmission and oil... once I find the oil one I like!

I have a Filtermag instead of a magnetic drain plug because I got it for free. I don't know how well it works because I don't cut open my oil filters.

Which is a better drain plug set to order, the Password JDM Magnetic Drain Plugs, or the MFactory Magnetic drain plugs?
A little background, many years ago I owned a 1986 Chevy Nova/Toyota Corolla that was a manual and it had a magnetic drain plug for the transmission. From 1999 until two months ago I owned 2 fifth gen Honda Accord autos that had magnetic drain plugs in their transmissions as well. Imagine my surprise that my, new to me, 2006 Acura TL manual has a normal drain plug with no magnet for the transmission. If anyone here is familiar with the 6 speed Honda manuals, they are known for notchy shifting unless you change the fluid often, with many owners going to a GM fluid as a fix. I have wondered if the fluid changes would be less often if they'd used a magnetic drain plug in the pan. Add that to the fact that I about stripped my oil pan plug doing my first oil change, I'd love to kick some Honda/Acura tech sometime for how tight that thing was, and I'm in the market for two new drain plugs and they might as well be magnetic. Any suggestions for a good quality magnetic drain plug set?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back