Magneti Marelli (Alfa Romeo OEM) Filter for Stelvio

Hey BITOG'ers...my first oil filter autopsy. I hope you don't mind my first try here...

Subject is a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio. I brought her in at the OEM indicated range of about 9K miles for her first free oil change. She was due this spring for her second oil change at roughly 18K miles. Since they are no longer free, I decided to do them myself - like every car I have EVER owned. Here is the results of the filter dismantle I took off...

Interesting notes...

There is a double thick base plate. I tried to capture it the best I could...but it was very odd. Never seen anything like it before. There was literally two different pieces of stamped steel for the base plate.
There was no bypass valve it be found...maybe that is built into the engine to save $$$?
Filter endcaps were both some felt/cardboard material. I tore apart a [censored] from my Nissan at the exact same time, and the filter media and cardboard endcaps felt of more quality than this POS.
This filter literally fell apart in my hands...the media was paper thin, and the endcaps were just junk.
The ADV felt like plastic...not compliant at all...almost brittle in nature.

Funny thing...I took it to the dealership last Friday, just 4 days after I changed the oil, and asked them to re-set the oil monitor. I showed pictures of the oil, filter, receipt, WIP, etc...and the reluctantly charged me $29.99 to reset the meter and made several comments about the filter not being OEM and "up to spec"...I chose a K&N equivalent.

Anyways...happy to answer any questions you may have. Basically the worst filter I have ever seen.

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

why on earth is O C O D (orange can of death) a censored acronym? Yet, I can say "POS"???

Last edited:
Read the sticky at the top of this forum ... rules made by the Moderators.

Your filter looks like it has a combo ADBV/bypass valve setup (ie, dual set of holes in the base plate).

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Looks like a Champ Labs Ecore.

Yep, that's exactly what the filter is or E CORE. ADBV is nitrile rubber. Pleats look good. Thanks for c&p
01.gif

Magnetti Marelli is a division of Fiat/Chrysler that also owns Alfa Romeo.

They use parts made by their company .FWIW

Oldtommy

Just a usual Champ Labs Ecore with nitrile combo adbv/bypass valve. Cars all over are running something just like this. They should use a silicone valve, 9 k was too much for their version of nitrile.

That isnt an OE filter. The Magneti Marelli by Mopar parts/filters are all makes and models aftermarket parts sold by Mopar. Thats a champ labs ecore filter. The OE filter for your stelvio is 4892339AB or 4892339BB for a case of 12.

Atsa nica filter she looks alotta like ah eah core. Thatsa my Italian accent learned froma my aunties and uncles anah grand parents.

Originally Posted by Timmastertech
That isnt an OE filter. The Magneti Marelli by Mopar parts/filters are all makes and models aftermarket parts sold by Mopar. Thats a champ labs ecore filter. The OE filter for your stelvio is 4892339AB or 4892339BB for a case of 12.

You mean the stealership didn't give me OEM parts !?!?!?!?!

Gasp...

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
30 dollars for a reset? Holy cow...

That's a steal. My dealer charges $80...

Originally Posted by RamFan

That's a steal. My dealer charges $80...

that's why we affectionately call them stealerships

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1

Did you check Youtube for tips? I found this

Link

Unfortunately that's not the case. The Giulia and Stelvio have two different OLM systems. One in the dash which is the adaptive one, this can be reset by playing with the pedal. The other is in the infotainment system.

That one can only be reset via OBDII hookup using the FCA tool or an aftermarket software system called Multiecuscan. To further complicate this, for 18 and newer MYs, FCA added an SGW to the OBDII which restricts connectivity between the car and this third party software. So if you choose to reset the system diy, you now also need to buy an SGW bypass.

How this doesn't violate Magnusson Moss I have no idea.

Last edited:

I'd send a certified mail return receipt requested to the CEO of FCA because it's pretty clear that this does violate the MMA.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

I'd send a certified mail return receipt requested to the CEO of FCA because it's pretty clear that this does violate the MMA.

And send a carbon copy of the letter to your state's Attorney General.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by AC1DD

And send a carbon copy of the letter to your state's Attorney General.

I've filed a complaint with the FTC, but I like this idea quite a bit.
cheers3.gif

Back