Magnefine filters are metal now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody tried a new style magnefine yet? It seems that the old plastic/nylon style 3/8" and 5/16" filters have been discontinued and replaced with a metal canister type replacement. Has anybody used one or cut one open to see what the construction is like now? Magnefine

9AC256E7-4648-489E-B47A-578DDFC29114.jpeg

Have the external dimensions changed at all? A slight reduction in diameter and length would be a help.

Also, the construction of the canister appears to be of the "slammed pill" type. The cap appears to be welded on-ergo steel.

A bit expensive to me… the Bosch DP on my Derale mount was $4 on clearance … I have run several brands and sizes on this mount since the wide flange will take most any filter with the same thread … all of them having more filter media than these small filters … (most of mine have been $6 Fram XP16)

For a transmission, I've gone the Derale route and think it's better. But I like the Magnefine, and have used it in several power steering return lines, where it's a neat, effective, installation. Metal or plastic is irrelevant for me in that application.

Yup, the new ones have been metal for a little while now. I replaced the old version in my XJ at 30k miles with the new type, no issues.

I use the Wix/Filtran 58964 inline filter on the 240 (and previous V70) power steering return lines. The Wix is easy to source. I use a Derale 35707 coupled with an XG16 plumbed to the AT return line in the transmissions.

Sam

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
A bit expensive to me… the Bosch DP on my Derale mount was $4 on clearance … I have run several brands and sizes on this mount since the wide flange will take most any filter with the same thread … all of them having more filter media than these small filters … (most of mine have been $6 Fram XP16)
I have a 3/4-16 mount (it's a Wix) on my Tacoma with a Napa 1269 plumbed into the transmission cooler lines. I think I may eventually put a Fram Ultra on there, maybe an XG8A. I definitely have room, I've heard that they are fantastic filters with great flow and efficiency. I have a plastic magnefine plumbed into the power steering return line, it's been on there for about 4 years... supposedly they're good for the life of the vehicle. I have another plastic one laying around so I'll probably take that one off at some point to cut it open (or unscrew it if it will) and have a look just out of curiosity. I've thought about plumbing a magnefine in after my remote transmission filter mount just to see how much the magnet catches after the fluid goes through the spin on filter.
Originally Posted by Astro14
For a transmission, I've gone the Derale route and think it's better. But I like the Magnefine, and have used it in several power steering return lines, where it's a neat, effective, installation. Metal or plastic is irrelevant for me in that application.
I also have a remote trans filter and prefer it for the transmission. I have a plastic Magnefine in my PS return hose and it's been perfectly fine and leak free for about 4 years.
Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
I use the Wix/Filtran 58964 inline filter on the 240 (and previous V70) power steering return lines. The Wix is easy to source. I use a Derale 35707 coupled with an XG16 plumbed to the AT return line in the transmissions.

Sam
I have never tried the wix version, the magnefine seemed to be the tried and true filter of the two, so I went with it for my PS return hose. I have a remote mount and napa 1269 on my transmission cooler lines. As I said above, I may at some point swap the 1269 out for a Fram Ultra.
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Yup, the new ones have been metal for a little while now. I replaced the old version in my XJ at 30k miles with the new type, no issues.

Good to know, I have a plastic one in my PS return hose. I have one more new plastic one and then I'll be looking for a new type one. The plastic ones have been fine for me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back