Magnatec "full syn" vs pennzoil gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I bought my pennzoil gold I noticed a week later on a return trip to Walmart the price difference between the full syn (Castrol magnatec) and semi syn (pennzoil gold) is virtually non existent.

For a 6k interval do you think there is that much difference for a buck or two? Can a pennzoil semi syn be as good? Or is it foolish to buy a 50% synthetic?

Just curious.

To use in what?
I'd personally select the Castrol at the same price, but it may make little difference either way.
FWIW, you can find some very good UOAs posted here with Magnatec, but the same is true of any SOPUS oil as well.

I would say you will never tell the difference during the ownership of the vehicle. Todays quality oil are that good.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
Since I bought my pennzoil gold I noticed a week later on a return trip to Walmart the price difference between the full syn (Castrol magnatec) and semi syn (pennzoil gold) is virtually non existent.

Up here, the price gap between synthetics and blends is shrinking. It's to the point that certain synthetic blends are simply never on sale any longer. Part of it, too, would have to do with Magnatec's product positioning. How close do they want to price it to black bottle Edge before it causes problems for them?

I don't know if there would be a significant performance or protection difference, but your OCI could be adjusted depending on choice. I run the full syn Magnatec in my wife's Mazda 6 with a 7K-8K oci. If I were running a conventional or syn blend I'd run a 5K and 6K oci. Right or wrong, that's just me. If you are still under warranty I would not extend the OCI beyond manufacturer recommendations, but otherwise I bet you could easily go somewhere between 7K and 10K miles with either oil and a high quality filter.

Last edited:
I would go for the full synthetic if it was my car. However, I do not think there is much difference apart from one having more conventional oil than the other. IF you do drive your car on severe conditions, then use the full synthetic. For the longest time I ran conventional Mobil 1 on my car and it did no harm. Once I began to drive more in the Texas heat then I switched to a full synthetic.

Last edited:
For a 6k OCI not likely much functional difference but the Magnatec looks to be the better buy, so that's what I use.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
I would go for the full synthetic if it was my car. However, I do not think there is much difference apart from one having more conventional oil than the other. IF you do drive your car on severe conditions, then use the full synthetic. For the longest time I ran conventional Mobil 1 on my car and it did no harm. Once I began to drive more in the Texas heat then I switched to a full synthetic.

No such thing as "conventional" M1.
What oil did you actually run for this longest time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back