Magnatec 5W30 @ 7.6k; 15 Fusion 2.0EB 135k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Got a report back from Blackstone for my 2015 Fusion. I realize that Blackstone doesn't adequately test for fuel dilution like other labs. I've learned that from being on this forum. However, I think that this may be increased based on my botched test procedure. I took this sample on a cold day and the engine was only run for about 5 minutes so I could drive up on my ramps. This may have contributed to the elevated fuel in oil but it isn't the complete story.

This is the first year that I have used winter tires. Also, cold air with a turbo and winter gas was my reasoning for increased fuel usage. I have gone from averaging about 23-26 mpg a tank down to about 19-21 mpg roughly around November (as seen on Fuelly app).

Does anyone think that there may be a real fuel related issue? If so, what could it be? Engine runs fine and idles very smooth. I've used Royal Purple Fuel Max treatment, but I've used that in the past without any issues.

[Linked Image]

Wear metals look right in line with universal averages, that seems worth noting despite the potential fuel issue.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Wear metals look right in line with universal averages, that seems worth noting despite the potential fuel issue.

I was thinking the same thing. That's why my first thought was that I did something to skew the results with my sampling method. Then I started thinking about my increased fuel consumption. I first thought that it was caused by the cold and winter gas and tires. Now I'm not too sure. I might pull in the next OCI and with a warm engine and see if that changes anything.

Switch labs if you are concerned with fuel dilution: send an oil sample to Polaris Labs. They do real fuel dilution testing. Then if you don't have a dilution problem switch labs again to WIX from now on. They charge half as much as Blackstone.

Concerned with your older vehicle engine?
1) Use a better base oil
2) Shorten your OCI from 7.6k to 5K OCI.

I paid $16+$5 shipping=$21 for Wix analysis
I paid $28 for Blackstone analysis. So I saved only $7 using Blackstone. Most here at BITOG don't need TBN results. Their OCIs are too short.... 6-7K or under.

Some complain about Blackstone fuel dilution reports. I complain about cst reports being low at Wix (Atlanta). I complain that if you send two reports to Wix - within two days of each other, they get them mixed-up. Then Wix uses the same, exact Calcium number for two separate oil analysis reports with me..... Yikes.

There aren't perfect places for lab analysis reports. Heck, I can;t even find a link at Polaris or terrydyson's place to get a sample bottle/kit sent to me. Blackstone makes that process simple and easy. They even give an option to have a non-hazardous safety-shipping letter available for the post office, should they balk about sending oil in the mail.

Last edited:
Question, your miles go from 6800 to 7000 to 8000 for oil change. Are you going off your OLM? I have a 16 Fusion same motor, change @ 5000 miles my oil life monitor is usually at approx. 50 to 60%. Just wondering, or just change when convenient?

Flashpoint, viscosity and TBN all support the idea of fuel dilution besides Blackstone saying it is high. Track down your issue or scale back to 5k OCIs would be my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back