Magnatec 5W30, 5029mi, 75k, '11 Tundra 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fourth UOA on my 2011 Tundra 5.7L, 3URFE, now with 75k miles.
Oil tested was Castrol Magnatec 5W30 with Toyota filter, and right at 5k miles. I kept with the standard 5k to establish a good baseline trend with the Magnatec 5W30. I also had a long trip planned, so I ended up changing it since the trip was going to put me over the 7.5k mark I was aiming for.

Everything is looking to be pretty consistent, and I am happy with this oil.
Now that I feel I have a good baseline established, I will be increasing the OCI.

This report is back from June. I am sending off my current sample and realized I had never posted this UOA to the forum.
I also have a UOA for the Magnatec in the Camry 2AZ-FE than I will post soon.

I refilled with Magnatec 5W30 and I am currently planning on running it to 7-7.5k OCI.

On another note, with all my long commuting and no end in sight, I decided to get a beater 1984 BMW 325e to rack up the miles on. So the Tundra won't be getting so many miles on it now.

I can't seem to find many UOAs for the m20b25 or m20b27 that BMW uses in the E30s, so I hope to add some UOAs to the forum. Once I finish a couple of rounds of Seafoam crankcase treatments on the E30 I should have a good sample to post.

Which oils did you use before ??

The first one looks a bit like GTX, although Valvoline also use Sodium add's.

Very good UOA results and it seems this engine does not mind which type of oils were used, as the results are almost the same.
A longer OCI of 7.5 or even 10K miles should be possible, although the final viscosity might be an issue with an Xw30, so it might be worth considering a 5w40 if the viscosity drops below the 30 grade.

I presume the first 2 oils used were Xw20 grades ??

Last edited:
Looks great to me. I have been using it quite a while in our KIA. I have a 6,400 mile sample I need to send in.

Thanks for this interesting report, looks good so far! I feel like the Magnatec is a bit overlooked, or better it's hidden in the shade behind the Edge line. The Magnatec seems like to have a little bit of Ester added, since it "clings" to the metal parts.

TBN might be a little on the low side for me.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

If the first oil was Castrol too, I would say that it has been Castrol Edge rather than GTX because of the Titanium content.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Very good UOA results and it seems this engine does not mind which type of oils were used, as the results are almost the same.
A longer OCI of 7.5 or even 10K miles should be possible, although the final viscosity might be an issue with an Xw30, so it might be worth considering a 5w40 if the viscosity drops below the 30 grade.

I presume the first 2 oils used were Xw20 grades ??

UltrafanUK,

You are correct, the first 2 UOAs were 5w20.

The first UOA was presumably TGM0 5w20 fill from the dealer.
The second UOA was Castrol Edge 5W20.
The 3rd & 4th UOAs have been Castrol Magnatec 5W30.

I was surprised the Castrol Edge UOA didn't show more titanium in the sample.

I've considered 0W40, since I can sometimes find it for ~$23 for 5qts, but went with the Magnatec for my Toyotas instead due to the lower price. I am running the Edge 0W40 in my Scout II since it seems to prefer a 40 or 50 weight.

Thanks for your input, I'll consider it if I really want to stretch the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back