Magna-Guard Oil Filter Magnets. Any Benefit?

This product claims rather remarkable benefits. See
Magna-Guard.

Do any of you oil guys have experience with this product? It's not budget-busting expensive but I wonder if it's a waste of money. If you have used it, I would appreciate hearing your results.

Find a hard drive magnet, or a cheap "rare earth" magnet, for free or under a buck. Put it on the end of the filter.

It will catch stuff. I haven't gotten much, but I've seen pictures with a lot of material.

Magnets do work. I use them.

However i don't believe in many of the wild claims made.

I just like getting as much abrasive material out of the oil as I can.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Magnets do work. I use them.

However i don't believe in many of the wild claims made.

I just like getting as much abrasive material out of the oil as I can.

This^, the FilterMag looks like it would be more user friendly. I just got one in this week actually. Are these one time use, or do you dig it out of the filter when changed?

I use a FilterMag myself and catch very fine residue in my filters. When my engine was newer it caught a lot of junk.

I like the FilterMag because it holds the Ferrous metals against the filter walls which keeps it out of the filters media allowing more flow, also keeps the microscopic ferrrous metals from flowing through the filter media and circulating back in the engine.

Even if it caught minor amounts, IMO that is better than not catching it and possible wearing something in the engine.
wink.gif

Hmmm...two eggs over easy with this first post.

This product is a throw away item. Adds to perpetual additional maintenance costs.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hmmm...two eggs over easy with this first post.

This product is a throw away item. Adds to perpetual additional maintenance costs.

Wow, why would anyone buy one over a FilterMag? I couldnt find on their site how much they were and didnt feel like persuing it further, but I venture too much to just throw away each time you do an OC.

my only worry would be using one of those in-filter magnets on a longer OCI...having the strength of the magnet weaken and a whole bunch of stuff it has caught get washed back up into the system.

anything big enough to get caught by a mag is going to get caught by the filter.

Great fun, but the mag motor won't last any longer than mine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
anything big enough to get caught by a mag is going to get caught by the filter.

Great fun, but the mag motor won't last any longer than mine.

Say what? What about all those iron particles 5-20 microns that most filters are not designed to catch efficiently?
That is what I expect the magnet to catch.

http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters/microns2.html

Last edited:
I use the FilterMag as well and it is very user friendly.

It was money well spent in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
+1, and waste. Want to try one, try one of the reusable types like Filter Mag, Klear Force or homemade.

I use them and pull the magnet out of the filter with needle-nose pliers at each oil change. They can go about 6 oil changes before they lose enough strength to warrant replacing it. The cost is next to nothing this way.

They catch more particles than a drain plug magnet in my experience.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I use them and pull the magnet out of the filter with needle-nose pliers at each oil change. They can go about 6 oil changes before they lose enough strength to warrant replacing it. The cost is next to nothing this way.

You have to get us some pictures of one inside the filter and what is stuck on it for us.

Originally Posted By: JAG

Oooow ..JAG...your using this is a clear endorsement for me. I don't know if I'd manage the "stork" type needle nose thingie ..but this tells me you see the merit in these things. I can't see you "wasting your time".

Yes ..we need pictures.

Back