Status
Not open for further replies.
the government is our friend & is here to help us

Quote:
...a sip of beer, you might consider that just 10 grams of hops could have as many as 2,500 plant lice.

Quote:
E. J. Levy is a professor of creative writing at the University of Missouri.

Insects, rodent parts/waste, I believe the standard allows whatever can not be seen by eye to be allowed, this is FAR from zero.

Maggots are a delicacy in some parts of the world.
20.gif
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
...a sip of beer, you might consider that just 10 grams of hops could have as many as 2,500 plant lice.

Quote:
E. J. Levy is a professor of creative writing at the University of Missouri.

Creative writing, exactly.

Whoopty doo about hops! Beer, when being made, is thoroughly boiled, then filtered, and THEN quite often pasteurized to kill anything remaining. Beer is on the bottom of my list of foods to worry about.

Most people would probably be shocked if they could see what kind of stuff is on the iceberg lettuce salad they just ate. Parasites, poop, dirt, bugs, pesticides, etc. Unfortunately most of that stuff DOESN'T come off with a water rinse.

And this guy is talking about hops lice. Gimme a break.

In an industrial scale food manufacturing you can't really have pure and clean ingredients. The FDA recognizes this and that's why there are ceilings for different contaminants.

Not a big deal as long as I don't see it. Life is a messy affair and the only way to avoid this kind of a situation is to live in a bubble and grow your own stuff.

Ya, there is a lot of stuff in food. But consider it this way. When the combine goes through the wheat field, just how many grasshoppers, spiders, small mammals, and other assorted creepy-crawlers do you think are out there? What do you think happens to those as the farm implements sweep up the crop? You don't really think they magically get out of the way before they're processed along with the grain, do you?

Do this. Take a drive on a rural Iowa road sometime on a late summer night. Then look at your windshield. That'll give you an idea of just how many bugs there are out there
crazy2.gif

I once dated a gal that was a summer student at the FDA. She passed on information that Post cereals have a high insect particle count, and the count for Kellogs cereals is considerably lower.

A visit to the factories reflected much of the same... Post factories had cobwebs in a lot of the food chutes, while Kelloggs factories hosted tours for the public and were kept pristine.

I just keep thinking of the "load" from the peanut butter factories. May as well mix batches in dirty brothels.....what the heck.......I'll bet the QA staff was fired long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back