Mag1 synthetic or fram synthetic help me choose!

Running what's left half tank with redline si1.gunna change my oil next week over 4,200 miles. 98 Buick LeSabre car book says 10w30 preferred,down to 0 degrees F. Below that, 5w30 pictured ok to use. I wanna use a 5w30. Temps Gunna be 27-24F. Every 10w30 synthetic I used in those temps took few seconds too pump up.can hear the hollow bore in engine with piston. 5w30 always pumped few seconds faster
I'm looking at mag1 5w30 synthetic or fram 5w30:synthetic. I like both parent company's .fram. Amalie,and mag1 ..warren distribution,are non corporate,American private businesses! Interesting enough on mag1 website,thier ccs for 10w30 was 4000. 5w30 was 4400 I think.the 10w30 showed flowing faster than the 5w30.unless it was an error typing.
Anyhoo. Help me choose which one! Fram advance is $8.99 quart, $29.99 for gallon. Mag1..local phillips66 station...it's like $5-$6 quart last I checked..but for additive package too? Who's the winner!?

Ouch just stopped in phillips66...5w30 synthetic..$10.62 for a quart :/....ouch.the fram was $8.99 quart or $29.99 gallon/5 quart container.thats alot of money $10.62 for one quart..that's the mag1.

Ouch just stopped in phillips66...5w30 synthetic..$10.62 for a quart :/....ouch.the fram was $8.99 quart or $29.99 gallon/5 quart container.thats alot of money $10.62 for one quart..that's the mag1.
Completely normal. 1-quart bottles of most oil at O'Reilly is $9+ while Walmart might be $1-2 cheaper. It is just crazy to buy 1-quart bottles nowadays.

Man that seems like Redline/Amsoil prices. If I were paying in excess of $10 a quart for oil, it's going to be something fancy!

My Wal-Mart has super tech full synthetic,warren distribution for $5.38 quart.or $20.88 for 5 quart size.but reading its data sheets,it has a.lower flash point..385 F I think it was? The mag 1 was 440F. The car quest synthetic was 410F. (F =farenhieght). But looking at ccs at minus 30..the mag1 4,400. Carquest, 6,200 something like that. In other words you get what you pay for. The higher ccs with be thicker in cold,startup.
I couldn't find any data sheets on frame synthetic..so thought next closest was its predecesorcarquest synthetic. .ill look on piqa see if theirs a gram synthetic done.
Very tempted too wanna do the mag1....I have a quart of 9 year old Pennzoil ultra, 5w30.so looking too use 4 more quarts too add to it,4.5 sump volume.
Have like 4-5 10w30 Pennzoil ultras.but I left one in my car last week when temps dropped 42.compared too5w30,even synrhetic..the 10w30 in bottle,shaking it,was noticing thicker.mucky like.5w30 shook n flowed much better.
The interesting thing mag1 is,website,the 10w30 hasa ccs of 4,000 thinner than 5w30.

For a 1998 Buick 3800, Chevron Supreme 10W-30 would be a good choice. Spend the money saved on a good filter.

but reading its data sheets,it has a.lower flash point..385 F I think it was? The mag 1 was 440F. The car quest synthetic was 410F.
How hot does the oil in your vehicle get ? I think you'll find that "flash point" isn't a factor that's important when the oil is inside your engine.

The MAG1 oils(conventional & synthetic) that I have used were formulated by WPP/WNE(Warren Performance Products of Omaha, NE). Other blenders may be involved as well, IDK!

The FRAM or(A.K.A - CarQuest) oils that I have used and still have some on hand, are made by Amalie(AOC).
Both are just fine and buy which ever you can get by price and availability.

I've purchased many "store brand" oils and the oils that you've(Ziggy) listed that were formulated by many blenders or oil companies such as:
Costal, Warren Uni-Lube, ConocoPhillips, Warren PP/NE, Valvoline, Exxon/Mobil and others all without any issues. And this is going back about 40 years or longer.

Before that, I only used ESSO/EXXON oil as my Dad had an ESSO/EXXON franchise.

Last edited:
My Wal-Mart has super tech full synthetic,warren distribution for $5.38 quart.or $20.88 for 5 quart size.but reading its data sheets,it has a.lower flash point..385 F I think it was? The mag 1 was 440F. The car quest synthetic was 410F. (F =farenhieght). But looking at ccs at minus 30..the mag1 4,400. Carquest, 6,200 something like that. In other words you get what you pay for. The higher ccs with be thicker in cold,startup.
I couldn't find any data sheets on frame synthetic..so thought next closest was its predecesorcarquest synthetic. .ill look on piqa see if theirs a gram synthetic done.
Very tempted too wanna do the mag1....I have a quart of 9 year old Pennzoil ultra, 5w30.so looking too use 4 more quarts too add to it,4.5 sump volume.
Have like 4-5 10w30 Pennzoil ultras.but I left one in my car last week when temps dropped 42.compared too5w30,even synrhetic..the 10w30 in bottle,shaking it,was noticing thicker.mucky like.5w30 shook n flowed much better.
The interesting thing mag1 is,website,the 10w30 hasa ccs of 4,000 thinner than 5w30.
There are two different flashpoint test methods. One yields consistently lower results than the other, FYI. You can find more details using the search function.

last I checked, MAG1 is the same as walmart's supertech full syn 10k version. Since Warren only makes one version and slaps a different label on (supertech, meijer, etc). Could you post the link where you found Supertech's data sheet?

Cca/mrv are different temps for 5w and 10w.

There is no winner among brands.

I get Amalie online at a fair price to avoid Waltonmart

With winter coming I'd use a 5w30 in that 3800 Buick engine. Todays 5w30's are much better than what was available in 1998.
To answer your question....both Amalie and Warren make good oils but if price is equal I'd choose Amalie because I'm not a fan of the Pritzker family who bought out WPP.

For a 1998 Buick 3800, Chevron Supreme 10W-30 would be a good choice. Spend the money saved on a good filter.
My thoughts exactly. It's a 25 year old Buick, no offense intended to the OP. Why are we even considering an oil costing $10/quart?
The following oil options are beyond what this car needs and cost MUCH less than $10/quart:
1669660182564.jpg
1669660198393.jpg

1669660227525.jpg

When you buy at a gas station, the prices tend to be extremely inflated.

Just like keeping things local. As for corporate thing, Amelia and warren are independant. Corporations yes,but not the big greedy rockefeller and JP morgan like ones. So for me I saw fram synthetic and mag1..but he only carries the synthetic in 5w30,and I know its a Mich higher noack valatility. I really like the black of 10w30,s. Way less vapor loss.
So! For 22-27 degree temps,jan/Feb here...think fram synthetic 10w30 would be ok!? Or 9 year old Pennzoil ultra 10w30?

Back