Mag 1 full synthetic ATF for Mazda M-V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: leshan
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I would get the Amsoil OEF ATF. It's $6.20/qt case PC price. Amsoil was the first to design and market multi vehicle fluids, and frankly knows the applications and the required products.

Amsoil OEF ATF

Hi Pablo, I'm considering it too.
Will it make my car shift better and smoother tham OEM Mazda M-V? Will it significantly reduce the 1-2 shift shock when ATF is cold.
It's $6.55 plus PC fee plus shipping. I think it's going to close to $8 if I purchase 10 Qts.
I believe Amsoil ATF is better. Is Mag1 comparable to OEF?
Thanks.

It's possible it will change shifting feel, but I would not bet on it. If your car shifts harshly on clean new OEM fluid then I would have the car checked.
I posted the 12 qt case price per, case shipping is about $11, contact me about the PC fee.
Sure Amsoil ATF is best, but it is indeed expensive and designed for extended intervals. Yes, OEF and Mag1 have somewhat similar base oils, but Amsoil OEF uses significantly less VII's and the additive package is more impressive.

Thanks. one more question.
I heard that the Mazda M-V is the same as ford FNR5(XT-9-QMM5). But I only see M-V was listed as recommended by Amsoil.

I would get the Amsoil OEF ATF. It's $6.20/qt case PC price. Amsoil was the first to design and market multi vehicle fluids, and frankly knows the applications and the required products.

Amsoil OEF ATF

Will it make my car shift better and smoother tham OEM Mazda M-V? Will it significantly reduce the 1-2 shift shock when ATF is cold.
It's $6.55 plus PC fee plus shipping. I think it's going to close to $8 if I purchase 10 Qts.
Thanks.

It's possible it will change shifting feel, but I would not bet on it. If your car shifts harshly on clean new OEM fluid then I would have the car checked.
I posted the 12 qt case price per, case shipping is about $11, contact me about the PC fee.
Sure Amsoil ATF is best, but it is indeed expensive and designed for extended intervals. Yes, OEF and Mag1 have somewhat similar base oils, but Amsoil OEF uses significantly less VII's and the additive package is more impressive.

Mazda Bulletin No: 05-005/08 said:
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.

I googled motocraft Mercon V Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C 7.5
cSt @ 40°C 33.2

Looks like Amsoil and Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF(not synthetic) are good alternatives.

I would use either of the two you mentioned, but are good fluids.

Would be easier if manufactures made the fluid easier, but all companies want that extra sales of OEM parts/fluids. USE only this, this, this etc

Like the F4A-EL transmission in my KIA, calls for SP-III fluid. The Ford version calls for Mercon III, same transmission/same rebuild kits different fluid.. go figure. I use Maxlife ATF in mine, much better then OEM fluid in my case.

I heard that the Mazda M-V is the same as ford FNR5(XT-9-QMM5). But I only see M-V was listed as recommended by Amsoil.

I don't see that they are the same. Do you have evidence of this?

I don't see that they are the same. Do you have evidence of this?

The FNR5 is the Mazda 5spd ATX ford got from Mazda for the ford fusion. It is the exact same fluid.

Amsoil OEF ATF

Thanks.

I had dealer checked my car, the mechanic drove my car and said it's fine. The mechanic also hooked up computer to my car and used mazda IDS system to scan PCM, TCM, etc. All passed, no error code. I also had the mechanic to update my PCM firmware.
I read many Mazda3 owners experienced 1-2 shift shock when engine was cold. Someone said that synthetic may reduce the shock.

Last edited:

I had dealer checked my car, the mechanic drove my car and said it's fine. The mechanic also hooked up computer to my car and used mazda IDS system to scan PCM, TCM, etc. All passed, no error code. I also had the mechanic to update my PCM firmware.
I read many Mazda3 owners experienced 1-2 shift shock when engine was cold. Someone said that synthetic may reduce the shock.

You did the right thing. I do tend to agree, that synthetic ATF in such cases may help ease an overly shocking shift. If others have experienced this, then that is pretty good affirmation. I just avoid making general statements across a wide variety of cars. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back