MAG 1 5W-40 7.5k miles; VW 2.0 TDI 48k miles

Iron and silicon are high.
The oil analysis at 29,300 was from Motul with a 507.00 rating, 5W-30. Viscosity with either oil is below average. No idea where all this iron and silicon is coming from. I've been using the same air filter.

Attachments

• 15 GOLF-210319 (1) (1).pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:
Iron is actually low for VW. All VW have higher iron.
SIlicone? Chek your air filter.
MAG1? Shear down too much. Use Motul and do not mix any additives.

That's a good UOA except for the silicon. I wonder if there is any in the additive? Flash point is insanely good as is TBN.

Forget the additives. The silicon and icon seem to be high. I would look at air intake,

Possibly get a particle count of this used oil to determine if the silicon is dirt or something in a sealer.

Last edited:
Why not a Rotella diesel rated oil?
Once I use up my stash of Mag 1's. I'll be doing 5000 mile OCI until I use them up, then I have a stash of Delvac Extremes and one gallon of Delvac ESP 5W40.
Rotella will be my default oil after all that. Offroad use only.

I ran across an article in Blackstone's website about silicon levels and how certain plastic turkey basters can affect the level. I am guilty of using clear medical grade irrigation tubing to obtain my sample. This tubing is clear and soft and used to send saline for performing endoscopic surgery, and I obtain my oil samples right after shutting off the engine while oil temperature is likely above 180F. After I get the oil sample the tubing definitely feels softer due to the high temperatures and I use a 2-3 ounce plastic syringe with a soft rubber plunger to create the suction.

Back