Made the switch to a thinner oil in my Corvette!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Patman,

I hope the strange purple oil does not make your car blow up. We, the enlightened ones on the board know that oil is suppose to be green and make elves dance.

P.S. I hope you know that there are no purple elves!

Sorry, I read the post quickly and thought Royal Purple rather than Penzoil Platinum. What I should have said is that there are no amber elves.

*No. It looks like a fine amber lager. *

Making me thirsty!
cheers2.gif

For a coldie that is
grin.gif

Speaking of PP,I saw a 15W50 weight of PP last weekend at an auto parts store. Wonder how it measures up to M1`s 15W50?

Patman, If the thinner 30wt proves to protect as well as the thicker 30wt oils have (GC), would you consider taking the viscosity down a notch and a 20wt oil in your 'Vette (such as PP or Amsoil 0w-20)?

06VtecV6,

I got some stuff I want to say to you man. Some of this stuff I've already said to you in a PM that you never replied to, so here it goes:

1) The difference between 8.45 and 8.80 cSt @ 100C is NOTHING!

2) Since you're always refering to your own car in your posts, please list the year, make, model, and mileage.

3) I want you to start doing your own oil and filter changes. No more hiring people to do the work that a young person such as yourself can do easily. And besides that, the best way to familiarize yourself with the oil you use in your car is to DRAIN AND POUR IT IN YOURSELF!

Ah man. . . I feel soooo much better now.
tounge2.gif

Patman, I have been following the same line of thought and I'm using Havoline DS 5w-30 in my 98 Z28 as an ARX rinse.

59.4 @ 40c, 9.7 @ 100c

I haven't noticed any strange noises at all, and the most amazing thing is that I haven't had any piston slap since I did the ARX treatment with ST 10w-30 and now the DS. I've had it with all the other oils I've used, but now everything is smooth as silk. Dunno whether it's the ARX, the thinner oil, or a little of both.

The only thinner (and not by much) 5w-30 is Castrol Syntech, and that costs too much for quick rinse.

Quote:

Patman, If the thinner 30wt proves to protect as well as the thicker 30wt oils have (GC), would you consider taking the viscosity down a notch and a 20wt oil in your 'Vette (such as PP or Amsoil 0w-20)?

Hehe, you're reading my mind!
smile.gif

Perhaps after a little while of running this oil, I might just try out a 5w20 or 0w20 in the future. The Amsoil 0w20 would probably be my best bet. The one thing I would worry about is consumption though. LS1s do tend to consume oil more than most engines, and even though mine only used 1L in 6000 miles with GC, it's entirely possible I might see 1.5L in 6k with the thinner PP. If that's the case, I'd be hesitant to run anything thinner than this.

After driving the car about 40 miles this morning, I can honestly say I feel no noticeable difference from GC to PP. It's possible my oil temperature on the highway is down by 3 or 4 degrees F, but I will need to do a lot more highway driving before I make that conclusion.

Quote:

06VtecV6,

I got some stuff I want to say to you man. Some of this stuff I've already said to you in a PM that you never replied to, so here it goes:

2) Since you're always refering to your own car in your posts, please list the year, make, model, and mileage.

3) I want you to start doing your own oil and filter changes. No more hiring people to do the work that a young person such as yourself can do easily. And besides that, the best way to familiarize yourself with the oil you use in your car is to DRAIN AND POUR IT IN YOURSELF!

tounge2.gif

1. Ok. I got an ATF D&F to do RIGHT now!
2. I *could* swap out my oil and filter you see below to stock A02 filter and M1. Reason being, my mileage dipped and it might be the filter, incredulously. I'm at 1800 miles on PP so far.
3. Should I wait till 3k and do it then? That would give me more time to see if my mileage will creep back up with this gargantuan - sized filter.
4. Great tip, Merkava.
cheers.gif
fruit.gif

Last edited:
^ ^ ^
Can you at least tell me what kind of car you have? I'm just guessing, but I think it's some sort of Honda with around 28,000 miles on it.
confused.gif

I'm guessing it's some form of honda with wheels/wing/coffee can muffler/body kit... neon lights, maybe? Stickers saying NOS.

Quote:

06VtecV6,

tounge2.gif

Ohh I know,, If I wasn't using this bigger filter. IT's funny how finickY ,AN ENGINE THAT HAS BEEN IN PRODUCTION S LONG AS THE J30 HAS(10 years if not longer??), is and more precise in what it needs that even an S2000 filter is too slow for it. That is the only explanation I have for getting lesser FE. Atleast it's made better with more surface area for better cleaning during my 'clean' non-arx phase!.

Doh!, I've beaten an S2000 doh... that should have been my clue and that was with a passenger in *my* car!

But atleast for my 'Arx' clean phase, it should be working, then when I drain it, that will essentially be 'my rinse'
Sweet. Easier said then done. Novices might not have the right tools/expertise to service service oil. Duely noted though.

box.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Hehe, you're reading my mind!
smile.gif

Perhaps after a little while of running this oil, I might just try out a 5w20 or 0w20 in the future. The Amsoil 0w20 would probably be my best bet. The one thing I would worry about is consumption though. LS1s do tend to consume oil more than most engines, and even though mine only used 1L in 6000 miles with GC, it's entirely possible I might see 1.5L in 6k with the thinner PP. If that's the case, I'd be hesitant to run anything thinner than this.

After driving the car about 40 miles this morning, I can honestly say I feel no noticeable difference from GC to PP. It's possible my oil temperature on the highway is down by 3 or 4 degrees F, but I will need to do a lot more highway driving before I make that conclusion.

As promised.....you may be running thinner than we both thought!
smile.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post894352

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back