Made the switch to a thinner oil in my Corvette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
So I finally made the switch to a thinner oil in my Corvette!
smile.gif

GC 0w30 came out and PP 5w30 just went in. GC is 12.2 cst at 100c, while PP is 10.3 cst, so it's a big change for me! I honestly cannot feel a difference so far though, although I have only driven the car about 15 miles since the switch, and most of that was on the highway. I did a couple of full throttle runs, and I didn't expect it would feel quicker there, since at best I might have an extra 2 horsepower from the thinner oil, and even that's probably generous. Low rpm throttle response feels the same (I was hoping it would feel a little bit snappier)

The engine sounds the same, feels just as smooth as with GC, so that's a good thing, so the LS1 is not rejecting this oil by making strange noises or anything.
smile.gif

On another plus note, I'm not burning as much oil as I originally thought. I assumed it was using a quart every 3 or 4k, but on this last interval, which was exactly 6k, it only used one quart of oil. I do not trust my dipstick since it never shows the level going down, so this was done by measuring the actual oil which came out. I started out with 7L of oil, added 1L of top up along the way, and when I drained it today, 6.7L came out. I figure the other 0.3L is what is soaked into the old filter media.

So in about 5 months time I should hit zero on my oil life monitor, and about 7k, and then I'll get my first UOA on PP. My MPG usually hovers around 19.0 according to my trip computer so it'll be interesting to see if it changes.

Quote:

So I finally made the switch to a thinner oil in my Corvette!
smile.gif

GC 0w30 came out and PP 5w30 just went in. GC is 12.2 cst at 100c, while PP is 10.3 cst, so it's a big change for me! I honestly cannot feel a difference so far....

I recently used the following oil in the order listed in my '00 VW 1.8T:
M1 0w40
GC
PP 10w30
"Q" synthetic 5w30

I can't feel any difference whatsoever in how the engine feels with any of these oils.

I suspect I'd have to go with something like a 20w50 in order to "feel" a difference in engine response.

I'm thinking if you guys can't feel any performance improvement with the thinner oils, why not stay with a thicker oil that offers more protection?
confused.gif

Quote:

I'm thinking if you guys can't feel any performance improvement with the thinner oils, why not stay with a thicker oil that offers more protection?
confused.gif

Because who is to say that the thicker oil does offer more protection? Even though I've gotten great UOAs from green GC, there is always the possibility that PP 5w30 will show even better results. One of the things I really like about it is that it's viscosity at 40c is much thinner than GC. (almost 15 cst less actually, so on initial startup the PP will definitely flow quicker)

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

Because who is to say that the thicker oil does offer more protection? Even though I've gotten great UOAs from green GC, there is always the possibility that PP 5w30 will show even better results. One of the things I really like about it is that it's viscosity at 40c is much thinner than GC. (almost 15 cst less actually, so on initial startup the PP will definitely flow quicker)

The first thing I noticed when I put in the 5w-20 oil with a cSt @ 100 of 8.45 is how thick and hearty it felt. My previous oil with a higher cSt @ 100 of 8.8 definitely did not feel this thick. You notice this because it "Right away" as soon as you start the car and drive off so yeah I would agree that this oil is really into protection despite being a 5w-20 and thinner, this PP 'feels' really thick..almost as if (like another BITOGer said, it gained 5 pounds) it belies it's 8.45 cSt. No granted, I went from a blend to a PP with a full GRP III so I expected it to excel heavily. I really really need it down south and actually am beginning to like this oil. I am at about 1800 miles so far and it it just now beginning to get better at performing. You really just have to 'give it some time' on any oil esp when you 'make a move' to full synthetic.

Patman,

I hope the strange purple oil does not make your car blow up. We, the enlightened ones on the board know that oil is suppose to be green and make elves dance.

P.S. I hope you know that there are no purple elves!

Quote:

Patman,

I hope the strange purple oil does not make your car blow up. We, the enlightened ones on the board know that oil is suppose to be green and make elves dance.

Is Pennzoil Platinum purple?
confused.gif

Quote:

No, I'm sure it has the regular color. I remember my dad telling me that back thirty years ago, castrol had oil that poured out purple, but he could have been thinking about 2 stroke oil.

I don't know how you guys can tell the difference from one weight oil to next. I know I can't.

Quote:

Quote:

Patman,

confused.gif

No. It looks like a fine amber lager.
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

The first thing I noticed when I put in the 5w-20 oil with a cSt @ 100 of 8.45 is how thick and hearty it felt. My previous oil with a higher cSt @ 100 of 8.8 definitely did not feel this thick. You notice this because it "Right away" as soon as you start the car and drive off so yeah I would agree that this oil is really into protection despite being a 5w-20 and thinner, this PP 'feels' really thick..almost as if (like another BITOGer said, it gained 5 pounds) it belies it's 8.45 cSt. No granted, I went from a blend to a PP with a full GRP III so I expected it to excel heavily. I really really need it down south and actually am beginning to like this oil. I am at about 1800 miles so far and it it just now beginning to get better at performing. You really just have to 'give it some time' on any oil esp when you 'make a move' to full synthetic.

No No No No...I cant take it.
06VtecV6 ...post like this is the reason you have NOBODY on this board doing anything but whince every time you post. Just the other day your on here posting about changing to Mobil1 and PP is causing you to lose valuable "performance" in your ricer car. Everything you post is about "how it feels" and " I can feel it protecting"...no UOA no nothing but your stoned out of your mind post. You kid.... need a life and get off the internet as you are nothing but a total troll. Mods will not do anything about you but I cannot take this anymore.

SargeGTO, instead of just complaining about the boy, click on his name, and you will find a link in his profile to ignore him.

You can't control others, so take matters into your own hands if it really bothers you.

Or don't, I can only suggest, LOL.

FWIW, when you ignore him, his posts will be replaced with:

** You are ignoring this user ***

Last edited:
Quote:

You kid.... need a life and get off the internet as you are nothing but a total troll. Mods will not do anything about you but I cannot take this anymore.

Sarge, just go up and click on his name, then Ignore all his posts.

Wola, his idiot posts are gone!
banana.gif

I agree, he should be gone but at least with the above, he is to you.
grin.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

No No No No...I cant take it.
06VtecV6 ...post like this is the reason you have NOBODY on this board doing anything but whince every time you post. Just the other day your on here posting about changing to Mobil1 and PP is causing you to lose valuable "performance" in your ricer car. Everything you post is about "how it feels" and " I can feel it protecting"...no UOA no nothing but your stoned out of your mind post. You kid.... need a life and get off the internet as you are nothing but a total troll. Mods will not do anything about you but I cannot take this anymore.

And just what would you have us do? There are no rules that I know of that cover annoying, moronic posts. If he actually breaks the rules, then we'll do something. Until then, if his posts annoy you DON'T READ THEM.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back