Made in China oil filters.. why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The reason so much manufacturing has been outsourced is that it simply because it's too expensive to manufacture things in the US.

Before anyone jumps on this, I'm not singling out any one group, such as unions or upper management or Wall Street as the sole culprit, I'm just stating a sad fact.

China can manufacture products much more inexpensively because their workforce does not enjoy the same benefits (insurance, pensions, safety, etc) or high standard of living as American workers. Again, just another fact. I'm sure the Chinese could build excellent products if given the opportunity, but the companies that contract with them don't want excellence, they want a cheap price, so that's what we get.

You left out one thing. China manipulates there currency, which amounts to stealing from the rest of the world.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The reason so much manufacturing has been outsourced is that it simply because it's too expensive to manufacture things in the US.

Before anyone jumps on this, I'm not singling out any one group, such as unions or upper management or Wall Street as the sole culprit, I'm just stating a sad fact.

China can manufacture products much more inexpensively because their workforce does not enjoy the same benefits (insurance, pensions, safety, etc) or high standard of living as American workers. Again, just another fact. I'm sure the Chinese could build excellent products if given the opportunity, but the companies that contract with them don't want excellence, they want a cheap price, so that's what we get.

You left out one thing. China manipulates there currency, which amounts to stealing from the rest of the world.

We allowed that to occur, MC. I truly imagine that it was "a deal" to stop militaristic expansionism that is the usual outcome of having too many with not enough. China was given a seat at the BIG TABLE of global population managers. A new franchise that invited the Central Committee to change their name tags to "Board of Directors".

Naturally, and without our knowledge or approval, we financed this with our "out of phase" monetary system ..and got help throwing the party that put them on the map.

Now we'll pay for the rest of time to someone who sells us stuff and loans us the money to buy it ..and effectively owns a piece of our future.

Someone(s) here GAVE them us in sacrifice ..but they don't bear the burden.

Originally Posted By: adworld

Is it because it has the "Made in China" sticker on it?

I am looking for feedback on this as I am looking to import Chinese made filters and know the market out there is tough on filters manufactured in China so your personal experience and feedback would be helpful

There are many more reasons and explanations for this then the one I am about to give. Some have been covered already others have not.

If you are easily offended or just retarded enough to no want to "learn" anything. Don't read any further.

I hope you lose your job, become unemployed and can't find work. I hope you feel the pain, the pain of being unemployed. Importing oil filters from "China" makes you a very bad, vile, and evil person in my book. Just thinking about your own personal gain ( oh yeah, like I believe you really want to give 3 or 4 people a job ) is not going to be any comfort to those who are unemployed because of imported Chinese products. An oil filter factory employs more then 3 or 4 people. So you would be willing to put all those people in the unemployment line for some retarded excuse "hey I give 3 people a job, while all those others are losing there houses and barely feeding there families".

If you truly want to do something worthwhile, start a company that fills a void. Make a product here in the US and market it as such. You will make much money at it. I avoid anything that I can that says "Made in China" on it. I have a garage full of tools that I apent about %300 more money on, just to get "Made in USA" stuff. Sometimes you have no choice as a lot of products are only "Made in China". Some I buy becuase I need. Others I just do without, because I won't buy Chinese garbage unless I have to. When a US or Canadian compnay makes that product then I can finally go get one.

You may wonder why I have such views. Well, I think the low cost Chinese products amount to stealing. The environmental laws in China give them an advatage, they manipulate there currency which amounts to stealing. If China produced there products on a level playing field with the US, I would consider buying them, but only in the case that no US alternative existed.

So, if you haven't figured it out yet. One of the reasons why many people hate Chinese products is that it puts Americans out of work, through an unfair advantage. If you don't believe me, then try to set up a company that is going to import "Made in the USA" oil filters to China. Then get back to me and let me know who has the better end of the deal on that "trade", and if you can honestly do that work and honestly say the US has the better end of the deal, I won't hate you anymore or wish bad things upon your family.

I totally agree with the pro-American posters. It's unfortunate that it is our own system that is to blame. Politicians bent on staying in office are beholden to lobbyists and big business that wants to export our jobs, technology, and as a consequence our standard of living; eventually our sovereignty. With every $USD that goes over to China, makes us poorer and the R.O.C. richer. Just read in the news how China bought 1/3 of the oil mineral rights here in Texas (next oil boom coming). They also want our drilling technology so they can suck up the world's resources. It is because of our policy-makers that we pay higher gas prices. We created a hot Chinese economy that now is resource hungry, driving up the cost on oil and eventually everything else. I think we should find out who sold America out and get them out of office. Its not hard to know who they are, mostly of the same party.

because you can get US made filters for little or no more cost and keep money here instead of china. If I stepped into your shop and you had chinese or mexican filters for .25 cents, I would go out of my way to pay 2.86 for a US made supertech, or even fram if it came down to it.

Last edited:
Well, we still have a ruling class just like the one we allegedly had a revolution over to rid ourselves of them. The only distinction that I see is that it's not by birthright ..but it ends up being that too. The stuffed shirts are just their service class puppets ..and the distinctions between one would be noble and another is that some believe in taking care of their pets ..and the other persuasion wants us to figure and fight all that out amongst ourselves for top trash dog honors.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
We need to make stuff here. Our economic health relies on it. OTW bye bye USA.

i don't disagree

this is how one can see it as well.. One can start up a company to import oil filters and be able to employee 4-5 people who currently don't have jobs or one could do nothing because they dont have the funds to start up a full fledged manufacture company and in turn those 4-5 people stay unemployed..
Employ 4-5 people to put hundreds out of business or work? Manufacturing (which I am a part of) have a wonderfull snowball effect of employing tens and hundreds of folks around the Manufacturing Plant. The coffee shop, the lunceonette or sub shop, the Drugstore, the Shipping company, the local Machineshop, Doctors & healthcare professionals, child care services, the packing carton (box) company, the landlords, you local Office supply the electrician, plumbers, IT installers, phone techs, yard care professionals . . the list goes on and on - just to service a 50-100 person manufacturing Location. WE absolutely NEED manufacturing stateside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cryption
Most things made in China are garbage, oil filters included. Chinese cars are junk, Chinese tires are junk, Chinese electronics are junk. They should just stay out of the automotive world.

I would have agreed with this before. Most of my computer stuff is made in china. My computer and everything in it is working great. My made in china mouse and keyboard are excellent. Even the tires on my focus, which are Kumho Solus are made in china, and so far have exceeded my expectations. Depending on how they behave in the snow, I may consider replacing them in the future with more.

I think that not everything that is made in china is junk. Sure, a lot of it is, but some stuff is actually very good. This may seem like an about face for me, and it isn't really. I still buy Made in USA when I can, but not if I feel like I'm sacrificing too much money. And I definitely agree that more stuff should be made in the USA. That should be helped by the govt. passing a bill that allows tarriffs on imported goods from china.

Last edited:
We need to make stuff here. Our economic health relies on it. OTW bye bye USA.

i don't disagree

this is how one can see it as well.. One can start up a company to import oil filters and be able to employee 4-5 people who currently don't have jobs or one could do nothing because they dont have the funds to start up a full fledged manufacture company and in turn those 4-5 people stay unemployed..
Employ 4-5 people to put hundreds out of business or work? Manufacturing (which I am a part of) have a wonderfull snowball effect of employing tens and hundreds of folks around the Manufacturing Plant. The coffee shop, the lunceonette or sub shop, the Drugstore, the Shipping company, the local Machineshop, Doctors & healthcare professionals, child care services, the packing carton (box) company, the landlords, you local Office supply the electrician, plumbers, IT installers, phone techs, yard care professionals . . the list goes on and on - just to service a 50-100 person manufacturing Location. WE absolutely NEED manufacturing stateside.

This!

I too will go out of my way to buy a US made product first, if I can't find that I will buy something made in a country that has competitive wages and standards similar to the USA, like Canada, Germany, Austria, France, Japan ect....

The last things on my list to buy are ANY products from any slave wage country China, is always mentioned but there are many. Mexico, Thailand, Indonesia, ect, just to name a few.
I also find that the quality of goods from these countries generally LOOK OK at firs,t but indeed they don't last, or are defective out of the box and again you tend to pay exactly the same for it compared to a US made item that is of higher quality and lasts longer.

Yes. It's so simple, yet so few seem to comprehend this. Manufacturing is the engine that created the middle class in the US. Manufacturing is where value is added to raw materials. Each manufacturing job creates more supporting jobs than each service sector job.

I am among the very few that will pay a premium for a product that is made in the USA. This means that I cannot buy as many things, so you could call this making a sacrifice. Today's culture of immediate gratification, self-centeredness, entitlement and greed is sickening to me. Few care what happens to their neighbors and countrymen if it interferes with their ability to get more useless garbage they can stuff into their McMansions.

So,to the OP, I avoid Chinese products whenever possible because I am a patriot. I don't care if the quality is equal.

In the manufacturing mini-city run by Foxconn in China they have had to install suicide nets under the several story factories. Many workers were hurling themselves out the windows after going bonkers. Ipods, Iphones, Ipads are all made there. Workers put in 35 hour shifts for 31 cents an hour. They live in cramped, overcrowded dorms. If you try to form a union , well that's 12 years in prison. And they certainly don't get a trial where they are judged by their peers! And so many of the workers were forced off their rural abode (where their family lineage runs back centuries)and forcefully relocated to an industrial area. Buy Chinese?!? I don't think so. Stay away from Wally World and Apple stores. When buying auto parts look for US made. When looking for electronics pay extra for Japanese merchandise (where General MacArthur made sure the right to unionize was written into the post WWII Japanese constitution).

Last edited:
I can buy a Chinese made oil filter for my car online for around $2. I can buy a Purolator filter made in North Carolina for $3.49. With the Purolator I am more confident in its quality and I am helping keep an American working. The choice is easy. As long as I can afford to pay the premium and an American made item is available I will buy it. It is discouraging though when you realize there are a lot of products that just aren't made in America anymore.

Been reading a lot of posts about Chinese brand filters and i would say the majority of people on this board not only dislike them but despise them.

I see a mix of people disliking them because of various reasons from manufactured issues (shotty work, defects, etc) to just a general dislike for imported products.

The shotty manufacturing i can understand, but i guess i am curious why someone wouldn't buy a filter that was equal in performance at a lower price? Is it because it has the "Made in China" sticker on it?

I am looking for feedback on this as I am looking to import Chinese made filters and know the market out there is tough on filters manufactured in China so your personal experience and feedback would be helpful

It's called communism. Something thousands of our fathers and grandfathers died fighting.

Originally Posted By: Cipriano
In the manufacturing mini-city run by Foxconn in China they have had to install suicide nets under the several story factories. Many workers were hurling themselves out the windows after going bonkers. Ipods, Iphones, Ipads are all made there. Workers put in 35 hour shifts for 31 cents an hour. They live in cramped, overcrowded dorms. If you try to form a union , well that's 12 years in prison. And they certainly don't get a trial where they are judged by their peers! And so many of the workers were forced off their rural abode (where their family lineage runs back centuries)and forcefully relocated to an industrial area. Buy Chinese?!? I don't think so. Stay away from Wally World and Apple stores. When buying auto parts look for US made. When looking for electronics pay extra for Japanese merchandise (where General MacArthur made sure the right to unionize was written into the post WWII Japanese constitution).

That is why I try to buy anything that is not made in China. It is hard though. I hate the fact of buying things that are chinese made by slave labour from a country that abuses human rights. I will try to buy things made in Canada,the U.S or any of the developed countries first.

You know they announced in the media "the recession" ended a few months ago. Jobs are coming back, they say.

I did some research.....you know all those "MADE IN CHINA" stickers you find on everything...well, we make those stickers here in the USA. Jobs for everyone!

Quote:
When a US or Canadian compnay makes that product then I can finally go get one.

What is the difference between outsourcing to Canada and outsourcing to China?

Why don't we just go completely isolationist and shut the borders tight. That would create a lot of jobs right?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

Why don't we just go completely isolationist and shut the borders tight. That would create a lot of jobs right?

Well, for starters our cost of living is just as high as yours. And we aren't Communist?

Hey, we are also both former British colonies, fought side-by-side in two World Wars and have had trade relations for over 100 years.

You don't OUTSOURCE to Canada. You have TRADE relationships with Canada. You don't get "sweet inexpensive slave labour" sending jobs here without the ability to sell your products like you have with China. You get the ability to manufacture products in another market that they are already sold in. We've been building your bloody cars for almost as long as you've been building them there. And they aren't much cheaper!

I really find your question as a slap in the face. The only thing Canada has in common with China is that their names both start with "C".

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

That's easy, you can easily and may want to move to Canada and live and work. I don't think that's the case with China. Canada is on the US border and it's always good to have a prosperous neighbor. Also Canada and the US have always had good, peaceful relations. Behind the viel China is a major military threat.

The reason thinking consumers don't want a China filter is that they are either not the same quality and even if they are are not any cheaper. By the time you figure in logistics, china's cut etc, just how much cost can be saved in a filter? I'm betting a small fraction of a dollar. It's not worth risking an engine over a few pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back