Made in Canada - Gray tools

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by earlyre
while i'm not sure where their crude comes from, the Refinery here in town, which makes as much as 25% of the gas sold in Ohio, is owned By Husky Energy.
The Toledo, OH Refinery is a 50/50 joint venture between Husky and BP.
Husky also owns a Refinery in Superior, WI.
Husky, though, is no more Canadian than is Citgo or Tim Hortons.

The majority of the Husky shares are owned by Li Ka-Shing of Hong Kong, but Yes it had an amazing history when it was firstly an American company bought out by a group of Canadian investors. Husky is much more Canadian than Citgo. The head office for Husky is in Calgary and it employs hundreds of Canadians. Citgo, they supplied motor oil to Canadian Tire for a number of years but lost the contract to Shell Canada.

Last edited:
[/quote]Husky, though, is no more Canadian than is Citgo or Tim Hortons.
[/quote]

Of course Timmies is owned mostly by 3G of Brazil but was started partly by Tim Horton an NHL hockey player. The current ads feature a young Wayne Gretzky getting Horton's autograph on a napkin.
[/quote]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Do their wrenches and sockets have the grip and flank drive features? Brands like Wright in the US can be found discounted from retail considerably, and are much less expensive than Snap On. Gray may be less than Snap On in price but not necessarily in quality. I looked up a Gray large wrench set though, it was like $1000.

Looks like it:
[Linked Image from images.graytools.com]

At least on the sockets? Wrenches look "normal", so that'd be a no.

I have one Gray Canada 3/8 drive ratchet and it's tough as rocks. I would compare it to a low-tooth-count MAC or Matco as far as feel and overall quality. Can't stand Snap On ratchets, love their sockets and wrenches but something about the ratchets just doesn't feel right to me. Truth be known, I generally grab my trusty old Cornwell ratchets that I have bought in pawn shops over the years...one is old enough that it has an oil hole in the head so it can be lubed without taking it apart...1970s era I think.

When I worked in the Gas Fitter trade, my whole box was Gray tools bought from a local supplier. The only thing I didn't like was their ratchets which tended to be very coarse and unrefined. But their tools are tough and have a lifetime warranty. Most are not as pretty as Snap-on, but a lot less money and just as strong.

Not all of Gray tools are CND made.. I like their tools, and I will only buy the CND made ones...Since they do not advertise which tool(s) are CND made.. I call up their CS department and give them the part# of the item I am looking at, they will let you know where it is made..

Once complaint I do have, is their box end wrenches are not the greatest for being accurate to their noted size.. I have a 10mm thats a bit over sized and sometimes will let the bolt slip with in it.

Back