Made in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, all the "buy USA" guys on here are gonna [censored] because an "Import" has more "USA" in it than A Ford!!!
crackmeup2.gif

The Toyotas are not quite the car they used to be and I owned a 79 Ford F150 which was one of the best vehicles I have owned and I remember seeing lots of hencho in Mexico stuff. The corps aren't really our friends .We are only the idiots who buy their products. All you can do is try to do the best you can.

"Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts are made and whether the car is assembled in the U.S."

Sales, eh? So that includes the slimy dealers who peddle the [censored] things. Does that really count in making a car more "American"? I don't think so.

If you click the link and scroll down the page, you'll see that the Ford Taurus has the highest domestic-parts content, at 90%. The Camry doesn't even make their top-10 list (though the Sienna is 3rd).

Reading the comments to that article makes me realize the Idiocracy is already here.

That list with the Camry at #1 is, well, unusual. It factors in sales (ie, units sold) as a sort of multiplier that boosts the Camry to the top of the list on account of its high sales figures. What is its true domestic content? I thought it was somewhere in the 70% range, behind the Taurus, Malibu, Oddyssey, Sienna, Cobalt, etc.... However, take that 70% and multiply it by total sales figures, and you have a number 1 position. Hmmm.

So by that reasoning, you could have a car with 25% domestic content, that sells about six billion annually, that would make the number 1 position easily. And consequently, a car with 100% domestic content would bring up the rear of the list if its a very poor seller. That's interesting math!

Last edited:
Probably no more manipulation than counting cars built in Canada as American made by others.

The profits don't go to a country, they go to shareholders. So if you are worried about Toyota profits going to Japan, buy shares of Toyota and the profits stay right here.

Nothing prevents anyone here from owning a bit of Toyota. (I'm sure I own a bit of Ford, Toyota, Honda, GM, etc in my mutual funds.)

You may own shares as well.

I wonder if the UAW owns shares of Toyota as well for it's retirees? Afterall, UAW workers work for Toyota in the NUMMI plant. So it would not shock me to learn the UAW has shares of Toyota in it's portfolio.

But that's just speculation.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
My main concern is what country the money is going to. Ford=USA, Toyota=Japan.

Both are global companies and both distribute capital globally. It is naive to think that all the profits of buying a Ford product stay in the USA

The Toyotas are not quite the car they used to be and I owned a 79 Ford F150 which was one of the best vehicles I have owned and I remember seeing lots of hencho in Mexico stuff. The corps aren't really our friends .We are only the idiots who buy their products. All you can do is try to do the best you can.
=================================================================I agree ...Toyota hit there best products in mid 80's to about 95
or so and the quailty is gone down a bit.
I bought the 07 Highlander because it was made in Japan and not the U.S. .....I think the Camry made here is not the Camry of 15 years ago. Nissan is really gone down compared to 20 years ago.
Sorry, but I have to buy what will last 200k miles and have some resale value without problems

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
My main concern is what country the money is going to. Ford=USA, Toyota=Japan.

Both are global companies and both distribute capital globally. It is naive to think that all the profits of buying a Ford product stay in the USA

Just as it is a bit naive to assume that since both companies are "global" that profits, investments, R&D expenditures, etc. are distributed equally around the "globe".

The global economy arguments really cracks me up. I'm really amazed at how so many people just don't get it. This is precisely the attitude that has eroded our manufacturing base and will result in the US taking a backseat to China within the next couple decades.

You are right Ben. The domestic car companies are investing LESS capital in the US and more outside.

On the other hand, companies like Toyota are investing MORE capital in the US.

US car companies are selling divisions to China.

I really don't see Toyota, Hyundai, etc selling off their divisions to China.

So who do you want to blame, GM, Ford and Chrysler for building more plants outside the US, or Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru, BMW and so forth for building more plants in the US?

Seems the latter group is investing more capital here than the former.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

You mean Toyota, the same company that has stated that they do not plan to open any new plants in the US after the MS plant and plans to focus on Japanese manufacturing for further growth?

The same Toyota that blamed their slipping quality on an over reliance on US assembly plants? I just want to make sure we are talking about the same Toyota here.

http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBasicIndustries-SP/idUST1743020070620

I saw the window sticker of a new Chevy truck and was disappointed that the parts content was only 75%. Just 2 years ago it was 90%. My Colorado truck was only 77%. NAFTA and Chinese free trade agreements are killing our manufacturing. All the stimulus money in the world isn't going to help anything unless we change our trade policies to benefit the US.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
If you click the link and scroll down the page, you'll see that the Ford Taurus has the highest domestic-parts content, at 90%. The Camry doesn't even make their top-10 list (though the Sienna is 3rd).

I live in the US. I have never seen a domestic parts content sticker on an automobile. Where did you see this domestic parts content sticker?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: javacontour

You mean Toyota, the same company that has stated that they do not plan to open any new plants in the US after the MS plant and plans to focus on Japanese manufacturing for further growth?

The same Toyota that blamed their slipping quality on an over reliance on US assembly plants? I just want to make sure we are talking about the same Toyota here.

http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBasicIndustries-SP/idUST1743020070620

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aKdSZaIid93M

Yep, same Toyota that just this morning reported it's spending a half billion dollars to expand its Princeton, Indiana plant.

It's a shame they're spending that much money and putting that much trust in those "slipshod" American workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back