Made a strange switch Edge to QS dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is what i did, Napa had the QS dino on sale for 2.19 a quart. Edge was in there for 3200 miles and with the AC delco filter and the cold mornings, i dummped it do to some rather high idle amounts.

But i went with QS dino 5-30 and a napa gold oil filter, i am 4200 miles away from 100,000 miles on the truck and will would like to run this combo for that mileage. Good idea, im sure the filter is no problem but i know QS had its ups and downs there for a while.

The QS 5W-30 should be just fine for 4,200 miles. I first thought you were going to say you went from Edge to QS synthetic.

What oil was you using before the Edge?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The QS 5W-30 should be just fine for 4,200 miles.
+1. Just draining some QS 5w20 today after a ~5k OCI with an AAP oil filter.

Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
so why did you change edge out at 3000 miles?

what's weird about the change?

His pocket book...personally just wasting money. Can't see anyone dumping Castrol Edge after less than 4,000 miles for some
QS dino. You must have money to burn for nothing.

I agree that you changed the oil too soon.
That Edge oil would have been better for your forthcoming cold starts - there is a lot of Winter left.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
so why did you change edge out at 3000 miles?

what's weird about the change?

+1

Dumped a full synthetic at 3000 miles to go to a dino oil in a Montana winter season? To each there own.
Was the Castrol giving you alot of start up noise?

Crazy, just crazy action. OP needs to elaborate on "idle amounts". If you did a UOA at 3000 miles PLUS dumped Edge, you MUST have $$$ to burn ! Then changed to DINO ? That is just crazy !

It does seem counter-intuitive.
Why would you dump a light syn at low miles and replace it with a thicker dino that you intend to run more miles through the worst of the winter?
I have no doubt the OP had a good reason.
I'd love to hear it.

I don't want to admit it, but I changed my first fill of Edge out at 3,000 miles as well. I ran it very hard, saw a bunch of redlines, below freezing temps and high speeds so I thought it would be a good idea to change it out. For what it's worth though, I'll run this 2nd fill longer because I don't plan on driving my car as hard this time.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
So here is what i did, Napa had the QS dino on sale for 2.19 a quart. Edge was in there for 3200 miles and with the AC delco filter and the cold mornings, i dummped it do to some rather high idle amounts.

But i went with QS dino 5-30 and a napa gold oil filter, i am 4200 miles away from 100,000 miles on the truck and will would like to run this combo for that mileage. Good idea, im sure the filter is no problem but i know QS had its ups and downs there for a while.

Ponderous, really ponderous.

Ok...
What i mean by idle time is that i idled the truck so much that the OLM went off after 2700 miles, i reset it and ran for another 500 miles, oil pressure was really low in the cold mornings, like 40 psi and was not running up to it usual 60psi until after about 10 minutes, i had rather loud knocking noises, normal for a 8.1 but not like this. also had several hay hauls and a horse haul, along with hunting season which involves off road driving in cold temps for long periods of time.

Also i had changed it to take an oil sample and send it off the Blackstone. The 8.1 has some piston slap and does allow blowby gases to enter in the system. So i am curious on the amount of stuff in the oil, will post when i get the results.

With the QS dino have had no real problems, less noise, normal pressures. Maybe the filter maybe the oil. ill run this then probably go to Edge in the next change if its on sale. I got the last batch from a friend of mine at a parts house and he got it for me at about 5 bucks a quart.

And as far as winter, yes alot left but that dino will see its time before too long. im expecting it to be out by the end of January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back