Macpherson Strut replace problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strut shaft is turning when trying to loosen main nut. Spring is compressed w/removal tool.
Have new struts to put on, trying to salvage original springs.
2003 Toyota Echo, Help.

Last edited:
is there a recessed allen head in the strut shaft? if so you need a end wrench or a drop end wrench and and allen wrench. You could try and air wrench. Worst comes to worst a pair of lock pliers on the strut shaft.

If it comes down to it, just buy a new set of strut nuts if the new struts don't come with them, and cut the old nuts off using a dremel, or similar tool.

No point going crazy trying to save a $2 nut.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Impact tool!!!! Works every time.

It sometimes never dawns on me that people actually do suspension work without air tools. I would be lost without my impact and air hammer.

Thanks guys. Loosening up the spring clamps did it.

Similar problem now on reassembly. Top nut will not torque to 24 ft lbs, seems to spin the rod at about 15 ft lbs. This is with the spring caged and uncaged.

Sorry don't have air tools, I'm learning as I go.

BITOG Rules.

Last edited:
There must be a way to hold it on top,either an allen head recess or flats a wrench can be used on.
Using a torque wrench and socket is out while holding it so just tighten it tight with a wrench.Don't sweat it you can get close enough to 24lb with a wrench.

There usually is a hex or allen or flats machined.

If they are old parts, a good sharp Visegrip will dig in the chrome rod & hold it -OR an impact may knock it off.

Trav & Willix the only flats are where the thread transitions to the smooth rod, so it is buried.

If air wrenches have adjustable torque maybe a shop can give each nut a 24 ft lb shot.

Is the strut nut recessed down where you need a deep socket to access it? This is the Style VW uses often , however they provide a 7mm hex fitting to hold the shaft

Recessed nut but a regular socket does it, no exposed hex, allen or flat.
Problem is with reassembly now. It's a Monroe Sensatrac.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Recessed nut but a regular socket does it, no exposed hex, allen or flat.
Problem is with reassembly now. It's a Monroe Sensatrac.

You mean you need a way to hold the shaft from turning when you tighten the nut? I have seen others put electical tape in the shaft (lower shaft) and put a worm type hose clamp on the tape, Then hold the clamp with vise-grips

UPDATE: Called Monroe Support he agreed you can not access the flats and that they make em as a exact copy of the original equipment. He suggested that lots of mechanics use a few Short/Quick shots with a air gun to tighten the nut.
Friday I'll go to a shop with the assembled Struts and have em tighten the nuts.

Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back