Machine or replace rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the front pads on my '06 G35. The OEM rotors are producing some vibration while stopping from higher speeds.

Is it still possible and reasonable to machine rotors provided they are within spec? I'm going with Centric pads and new Centric rotors for the front are about $90 each.

Machining is about $15-20 per rotor but my concern is with less material on the rotor after machining, they won't last for too much longer.

Last edited:
The rotors are supposed to last the life of the pads after being machined; provided there's enough steel left in them. 15-20 dollars each to machine? That's crazy. Supposed to be $5 each.

I prefer to use the OEM rotors IF they can be cleaned up with a skim cut of say 0.010. Thar is not enough material to effect the stiffness of the disk. The used disk should be very stable because it has completed many hot-cold cycles. JMO. Ed

Even cheapo new rotors are better than refinishing. It's a lost art. You can have then turned, but do you REALLY want to take it all apart again in a few thousand miles when they squeak/warp/under perform? Most manufacturers now don't even list a minimum thickness spec. Rotors have become disposable.

Last edited:
In some factory shop manuals, there's a normal thickness and a minimum if you want to go research it. Otherwise just buy new ones and at $90 for pads and rotor for each front wheel is reasonable. I replace the rotor and pads with Stop Tech rotors and Akebono ceramics which came out to about $110 per wheel.

I've never had long success with machined rotors(6-7 months maybe) and then I had to buy new rotor anyway. The only time I would have'em machined/lathed is when it was el cheapo or free.

RockAuto now ships to Canada. Have you checked their prices on the same rotors? However, shipping may be the deal killer.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/infiniti,2006,g35,3.5l+v6,1432547,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

Last edited:
Hilarious thread! 5 bucks to machine a rotor? Expect garbage.

You must know your machinist. My BIL can machine a rotor to better than new standards easily and quickly, but it can't happen for 5 bucks. I have track rotors for my sig car that are fantastic at speeds of 150 mph despite being reground...

I never have rotors or drums turned , If I am going to be the driver . When they get too thin , replace them . But I do not run them down to the metal , either .

If Wifey is driving it , I will replace the rotors , it needed . After 35 years , I have finally thought her , pretty much , not to run them down to the metal .

A tip to all that are cheap , like me . Buy pads / shoes with life time warranty . Never have to pay for them again , for that car .

We do not drive like maniacs , so we do not need the latest super duper pads / rotors . Stock works fine . And I can not remember having hard spots on rotors / drums .

On FWD cars , I usually do pads on the front about every 30,000 miles . Back , about every 60,000 miles . Pretty much that way with tires .

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've never had long success with machined rotors(6-7 months maybe) and then I had to buy new rotor anyway. The only time I would have'em machined/lathed is when it was el cheapo or free.

RockAuto now ships to Canada. Have you checked their prices on the same rotors? However, shipping may be the deal killer.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/infiniti,2006,g35,3.5l+v6,1432547,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

Rockauto's shipping in Canada isn't too bad.

I would just replace the rotors. Not worth machining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The rotors are supposed to last the life of the pads after being machined; provided there's enough steel left in them. 15-20 dollars each to machine? That's crazy. Supposed to be $5 each.

Five dollars? maybe back in the 70's. 15-20 dollars is the going rate near me. Bad investment anyway. Go with new.

In Canada I find that once the pads are worn the rotors are likely falling apart from rust. I would replace them unless the rotors are almost new.

Why are Centric so expensive? They were $45 a piece for my BMW (Certified brand at Canadian Tire).

I've used the Centric Premium Rotors(BLACK E-Coating) and, they're OK, nothing that's any better than in other brands of rotors(coated or uncoated). And their warranty SUCKS(90 days). I've actually had an issue with one of their rotors at about 100-105 day in and, they wouldn't do anything. So, I'd look elsewhere!

Take into account, Centric's 90 day warranty on all of their brake pads & rotors. Because unless we can get their parts at a better price than the competition, they're just not worth it for the everyday brake parts and person, IMHO!

I have used Centric parts on several different vehicles(Honda, Toyota/Lexus, Mazda, Nissan) and I actually liked other brands better. However, I did get the Centric part(pads & rotors) at a good price at those times that I used them, making them a worthwhile alternative, and I didn't hate the products that I used, I just like some others better.

Last edited:
They are not warped, thats pretty much a myth. Rotors get slick spots from the pads. Some time over the summer you had to slam on the brakes and come to a stop from high speed. The pads sat and fried on the surface of the red hot rotor, creating a slick spot. After that its grip, slip, grip, slip, thats the vibration you're feeling. No need to machine or replace. Just remove, clean, put back. Buy better pads maybe. Machining the brakes simply removes the slick surface. It also thins the metal, making the surface hotter, less dissipation for heat. So this pad glazing problem becomes worse.

Originally Posted By: mb32
I need to replace the front pads on my '06 G35. The OEM rotors are producing some vibration while stopping from higher speeds.

Is it still possible and reasonable to machine rotors provided they are within spec? I'm going with Centric pads and new Centric rotors for the front are about $90 each.

Machining is about $15-20 per rotor but my concern is with less material on the rotor after machining, they won't last for too much longer.

Rockauto is $280 front and rear rotors and pads for my 2014 Camaro.

I always get the OE rotors turned once. Cost is included in per axle sale price.

Last edited:
I have never been pleased when I turned my rotors. It seemed it only lasted a year or so. I only buy OEM rotors at this point and have never been dissatisfied. I did buy one set of NON-OEM rotors and they didn't last 2 years. It may be me but I have bought 2 sets of Toyota rotors and have not had any problems.

My suggestion, buy OEM name brand rotors.

The OEMs advise against turning rotors unless you have access to an on-car lathe. Their reasoning is run-out and NVH, and an off-car lathe with almost no run out isn't going to replicate what's on the car. If you got a shimmy, cutting the rotors to get rid of that warpiness might take off more material to render the rotor inserviceable.

BMW and Mercedes call for scrapping rotors once they are out of spec.

I'd get new, things are more expensive up north but it's better to try to get the job done once.

Personally I would not no brave the Discs refinished is the parts were expensive and probably only if the issue was rust after the vehicle being sat unused for a period of time rather than them being warped.

Though sometimes when people think their discs are warped it is actually just a Deposit of pad material. The only time I have experienced that is after they stopped putting asbestos in brake pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back