Mach-E test drive (base model, 68Kwh usable battery)

Visited the Ford dealer and took a Mach-E for a drive. First, the seats in the base model are very comfortable, but the "pilot's" seat has only a few electric adjustments, maybe I missed something. I could not tilt the seat to my liking. The pax seat has a manual height lever that one pumps up and down. Kind of weird in a $46,000 car, but whatever.

I immediately used the "unbridled" mode (max performance) and it was, quite frankly, disappointing when compared to any Tesla. The Mach-E is quite simply, sedate. It accelerates well enough off the line, and will easily outpace traffic, but nowhere is the feeling of raw power (and fun) that many Tesla vehicles provide. Instead, it feels like it has the acceleration of a typical V6 minivan. Not surprising given it's 266HP and nearly 5000 pounds. On the highway, I reached a good cruising speed (we will leave it at that) and there was ample passing power remaining, nice. This particular vehicle wandered a bit at speed. It was not quite "rock steady" in it's lane. One foot driving was glorious, really. No need to use the brake pedal at all, for any reason other than panic stops. Which brings up the point that lift throttle coupled with any brake application results in a difficult to modulate, massive rate of deceleration. Even from 90, er, ah, 70MPH.

Interestingly, there is some form of fake engine noise that is supposed to give the impression of a deep and powerful sounding engine. What it really does is intrude into the otherwise silent cockpit. Turn that junk off! Turning off the fake engine noise results in a wonderfully quiet and rattle free experience.

I then tried other driving modes and found them equally acceptable. All worked well, and the slight differences are appreciated. The Mach-E has a small and nice display forward of the steering wheel. I liked that location for the speedo/range/PRDL info more than the Tesla's center mounted big screen. As there is no reason to look over to the center screen while speeding, ah I mean driving.

The interior is more than adequate it's roomy and very comfortable. However, one little point, the rear doors have unnecessary intrusive bits (look like speaker pods) that hit the passengers legs. That's just silly, why not maximize room? Still, it's a big car and there is plenty of room and plenty of comfort for all. The rear area is similar to most modern car based SUV's. Big enough to be really useful.

Overall, I liked it, but felt that if I were to purchase one, I'd absolutely need the additional HP of the highest spec Mach-E available. The base model is just not sporty enough for my tastes.

Last edited:
I doubt Ford would have the corporate willpower to make an EV that accelerates like a Tesla. Can't see them or the other major mfrs doing that.

I doubt Ford would have the corporate willpower to make an EV that accelerates like a Tesla. Can't see them or the other major mfrs doing that.

Depends on the Tesla, lol. The Audi e-tron accelerates roughly the same as a Tesla Model X (non-P version) but the Performance versions of any of the Tesla cars spank most EV's from the other marques.

The Mach-E lineup breaks down as follows:
1. Select - 266HP - 0-60 in 5.8/5.2 seconds (RWD/AWD)
2. California R1 - 290HP - 0-60 in 6.1 seconds (AWD)
3. Premium - 266HP - 0-60 in 5.8/5.2 seconds (RWD/AWD), 6.1/4.8 seconds Long Range (RWD/AWD)
4. First Edition - 346HP - 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (AWD)
5. GT - 480HP - 0-60 in 3.8 seconds (AWD), 3.5 seconds for "Performance Edition" (same as Tesla Model Y Performance)

I have not even seen one yet, but I have to hand it to Ford for a good 1st try.
Tesla is 10 years ahead of the pack and has the EV pure play advantage.
I expect the Mustang Mach-E is a solid build that holds up well and gets better over time.

Depends on the Tesla, lol. The Audi e-tron accelerates roughly the same as a Tesla Model X (non-P version) but the Performance versions of any of the Tesla cars spank most EV's from the other marques.

The Mach-E lineup breaks down as follows:
1. Select - 266HP - 0-60 in 5.8/5.2 seconds (RWD/AWD)
2. California R1 - 290HP - 0-60 in 6.1 seconds (AWD)
3. Premium - 266HP - 0-60 in 5.8/5.2 seconds (RWD/AWD), 6.1/4.8 seconds Long Range (RWD/AWD)
4. First Edition - 346HP - 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (AWD)
5. GT - 480HP - 0-60 in 3.8 seconds (AWD), 3.5 seconds for "Performance Edition" (same as Tesla Model Y Performance)

Which ones have the big battery outside of # 3?

I wouldn't call a sub 6 second 0-60 V6 minivan territory. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for review - I have seen two of these on the streets so far and a colleague is very much close to getting one. Personally I am not a fan but hey if it gets some Ford fans into electric I'm all about it. I am not about the design - just like the BMW X6 and whatever Mercedes with that coupe-like roof line I call them pooping dog cars, they all have the shape of a dog trying to take a dump.

I understand it's splitting hairs, but this base model is 6.1 seconds 0-60 and from my test drive, has fair 1/4 mile trap speeds (guessing about 90) . When you discount the initial launch prowess of electric drive vs an engine/transmission combo, the "G" force of the Mach-E is solidly in the minivan range. Just as it's HP to weight suggests. I'd point driving enthusiasts towards the dual motor, more powerful version.

As far as acceleration goes, I find the merging power via "right now" torque to be the EV benefit in everyday driving.
If you wanna move quick, these cars are awesome. No downshifting, just GO!

I understand it's splitting hairs, but this base model is 6.1 seconds 0-60 and from my test drive, has fair 1/4 mile trap speeds (guessing about 90) . When you discount the initial launch prowess of electric drive vs an engine/transmission combo, the "G" force of the Mach-E is solidly in the minivan range. Just as it's HP to weight suggests. I'd point driving enthusiasts towards the dual motor, more powerful version.

Im curious about the interest from you.

You've maintained for a couple years now that you aren't a candidate for any BEV because of the trip lengths you make.

Did something change- I think you might have said you were moving recently?

Im curious about the interest from you.

You've maintained for a couple years now that you aren't a candidate for any BEV because of the trip lengths you make.

Did something change- I think you might have said you were moving recently?

I love the way EV's drive. I could use a tax break. Also, my boss just recently purchased a stunning home in FL, so it's somewhat possible my excessive travels are winding down. Although I can't imagine he will be here in FL mid-summer.

The Mach-E is big and could carry much of what I need to carry.

I love the way EV's drive. I could use a tax break. Also, my boss just recently purchased a stunning home in FL, so it's somewhat possible my excessive travels are winding down. Although I can't imagine he will be here in FL mid-summer.

The Mach-E is big and could carry much of what I need to carry.
Well put Cujet. However, I believe the Y has quite a bit more cargo space then the Mustang.

I believe the Y has quite a bit more cargo space then the Mustang.
The Mach-E comes with 36 gallons of shrimp on ice :ROFLMAO:

5e39e67dbdb5e.image.jpg

Thanks for review - I have seen two of these on the streets so far and a colleague is very much close to getting one. Personally I am not a fan but hey if it gets some Ford fans into electric I'm all about it. I am not about the design - just like the BMW X6 and whatever Mercedes with that coupe-like roof line I call them pooping dog cars, they all have the shape of a dog trying to take a dump.

And frankly, anything much faster than that range is wasteful at best, borderline or fully unsafe at worst for daily use.

Going full throttle in my mid 5s 135i doesn’t really bode well because either there’s too many cars on the road, or it’s so easy to achieve illegal speeds without thinking that it’s, well, illegal.

Extend thst to an EV where high rates actually do have very real degrading effects on the batteries, and it’s not like doing it is a good thing... and the effects are lingering, heat, waste of SOC, etc.

I get the impression and emotion they’re trying to invoke, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

And frankly, anything much faster than that range is wasteful at best, borderline or fully unsafe at worst for daily use.

Going full throttle in my mid 5s 135i doesn’t really bode well because either there’s too many cars on the road, or it’s so easy to achieve illegal speeds without thinking that it’s, well, illegal.

Extend thst to an EV where high rates actually do have very real degrading effects on the batteries, and it’s not like doing it is a good thing... and the effects are lingering, heat, waste of SOC, etc.

I get the impression and emotion they’re trying to invoke, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
I have not hit 100 mph is many many years. Nor have I been in a stop light drag race since my '66 GTO back in the '70's.
But I merge onto freeways, make lange changes, etc all the time.
And sometimes make life miserable for Porsches, etc.

Last edited:
I have not hit 100 mph is many many years. Nor have I been in a stop light drag race since my '66 GTO back in the '70's.
But I merge onto freeways, make lange changes, etc all the time.
And sometimes make life miserable for Porsches, etc.
Merging onto freeways and making lane changes can be done with 67 hp. I know, I do it.

Without thinking twice my 135i is at 80+ MPH when I get on it on the freeway.

I don’t care to make anything miserable for anyone else, nor do I need to waste more resources than is necessary... so I guess I’m missing your point...

Back