M6 LS1 how thick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what viscosity range of MTL's can i use in my 6 speed 5.7 ? ( changing out the ATF )

ambient here ranges from 10*C to +40*C

spirited driving, mixed hwy and city

and the age old Q, min, syn or blend

t/y in advance, johnny

Do a search on LS1tech dot com and other similar sites. A lot of the performance builders seem to like M1 Syn ATF. No personal experience, but it's what I plan on using in my Tremec M6 when I do the next change.

Mobil 1 ATF is NOT compatible with 1997-2000 Corvette MN6 (T56) transmissions because they used paper blocker rings. They changed that in 2001. After extended use it will cause grinding going into gears (my switching to Amsoil ATD stopped this immediately).

I use Amsoil ATD (although you can also use Amsoil ATF) in my 1998 Corvette MN6 and it is great.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Mobil 1 ATF is NOT compatible with 1997-2000 Corvette MN6 (T56) transmissions because they used paper blocker rings. They changed that in 2001. After extended use it will cause grinding going into gears (my switching to Amsoil ATD stopped this immediately).

I use Amsoil ATD (although you can also use Amsoil ATF) in my 1998 Corvette MN6 and it is great.

Why would the Amsoil be OK, but the M1 not for the cellulose blocker rings?? (I've heard that the Red Line D4 could cause problems, due to high POE basestock content. This is why I am hesitant to try it in mine, even though MANY swear by it in this gearbox {like Sam Strano}, even the early ones with the "paper" blocker rings.)
Also, what is ATD???

i heard about that too, was running Redline D4 but switched to MaxLife dex/merc and it runs well in T56, will stick w/ that. some use the MTL or synchromesh fluids but i haven't

I recently put B&M Synthetic Trick Shift ATF in my 2000 T56. That was an improvement over my previous mix of M1 ATF/ Pennzoil synchromesh.

Transmissions with carbon fiber or 'paper' synchros like thinner oils.
ATF comes in so many varieties now! - it is a trial and error thing in your particular trans.
Many have success with lighter real gear lubes - the synchromesh type.
I prefer a lube like this - a real gear lube.

Synchromesh will work in a T56 but isn't the reccomended fluid due to it being a higher viscosity than DEX3 ATF

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Synchromesh will work in a T56 but isn't the reccomended fluid due to it being a higher viscosity than DEX3 ATF

Yes, if I resided in southern Arizona, or Tejas, I would probably use the GM/Pennzoil stuff year 'round (or just change a good Dex 3 fluid much more frequently).

I know some swear by the stuff, but the RP Synchromax felt like it was going to destroy my T56 in a couple of hours of use (BAD/HORRID grinding into EVERY gear!!
shocked2.gif
)
I dumped it after a day, and installed M1 ATF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back