M54 valve cover

Looks like every m54 I've opened up. No matter what you do there will be mayonnaise. It's just a cold spot above the intake cam shield.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had one crack on my cars, and my n54 only runs about 10 minutes per trip in the winter - just enough to get it really wet.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
Looks like every m54 I've opened up. No matter what you do there will be mayonnaise. It's just a cold spot above the intake cam shield.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had one crack on my cars, and my n54 only runs about 10 minutes per trip in the winter - just enough to get it really wet.

Same here WRT cracks- I've only replaced gaskets.

Originally Posted by antonmnster

From my experience, the N52/N54 cars are more likely to crack the cover, while on M52/M54 it is more likely to warp. A warped cover can be fixed by applying some ultra gray RTV all around the sealing surface of the new gasket.

Originally Posted by Phishin
Why is only one side and the end all "cheesy"?

Probably because there is less air circulation in that area.

And that big mess is why I love my M50TU in my 1994 325is coupe. Metal valve cover (magnesium I think) and the simplest crankcase ventilation system. I have never seen any of that. I live in Boise area with variable winters in terms of temperature. Granted the M50tu does not have the performance of the M54 but I don't have to deal with CCV issues or oil consumption. I think BMW messed up that motor and of course, it went into a lot of models for quite a run.

Back