M1TDT 5w40, 4950 miles, 2011 Sonata 2.0t

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA and post... 15,350 miles total...I think the results are pretty good, wondering pro's/con's of switching to M1 0w40... have heard the TDT is a little "stronger" for the DI Turbo... feedback is appreciated.

Code:

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 6

COPPER 7

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 11

NICKEL 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 28

SILICON 10

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 1093

MAGNESIUM 767

PHOSPHORUS 954

ZINC 1089

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 64.5

Flashpoint in °F 11.48

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great to me. Unless you can get 0w-40 cheaper and want to give it a try, Id stick with this...

I see the logic in sticking with this oil since you know it works well in your engine, but I think you can definitely switch to M1 0w40. The one thing I would consider for the switch is fuel dilution and there is none so I don't think it would be a bad choice.

OTOH....You just payed for a UOA, you see the engine and oil are working nicely so...up to you.

Just something to keep in mind...Hyundai is very strict on using the proper weight for warranty purposes. Now how they would actually tell I don't know...unlikely they would test the oil...but just something to consider

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Just something to keep in mind...Hyundai is very strict on using the proper weight for warranty purposes. Now how they would actually tell I don't know...unlikely they would test the oil...but just something to consider

They would tell the same way any other manufacturer would. By demanding to see your maintenance log and purchase receipts. If you don't have a maintenance log documenting proper maintenance or receipts to substantiate the use of proper oil, filter, etc., the manufacturer can void your engine warranty.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

They would tell the same way any other manufacturer would. By demanding to see your maintenance log and purchase receipts. If you don't have a maintenance log documenting proper maintenance or receipts to substantiate the use of proper oil, filter, etc., the manufacturer can void your engine warranty.

No Sir! Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a manufacturer from voiding a warranty unless Hyundai offered the maintenance they require free of charge.

It is usually an uninformed mechanic trying to push the issue. Sometimes its an unscrupulous dealership that is trying to get paid for the service twice from both the car's owner and the manufacturer.

The owner's manual is filled with "recommendations". They are not absolutes with regard to warranty coverage unless they are provided for free. You can take a car for service wherever you wish and you do not have to document a thing.

The responsibility of proof is entirely on the manufacturer. It is cheaper to just proceed with the repairs than involve lawyers and the courts.

Some manufacturers do provide bumper to bumper free maintenance during the main warranty years (for example, Audi)

Originally Posted By: OilGuy2
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

No Sir! Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a manufacturer from voiding a warranty unless Hyundai offered the maintenance they require free of charge.

It is usually an uninformed mechanic trying to push the issue. Sometimes its an unscrupulous dealership that is trying to get paid for the service twice from both the car's owner and the manufacturer.

The owner's manual is filled with "recommendations". They are not absolutes with regard to warranty coverage unless they are provided for free. You can take a car for service wherever you wish and you do not have to document a thing.

The responsibility of proof is entirely on the manufacturer. It is cheaper to just proceed with the repairs than involve lawyers and the courts.

Some manufacturers do provide bumper to bumper free maintenance during the main warranty years (for example, Audi)

"Don't know about your police work Oilguy2". I guess you didn't follow the VW/Audi sludge issue.

In order to have any warranty coverage re. engine failure you had to prove for most of the engine life 5,000 mi. oil changes. You were allowed to miss 1 receipt. VW denied numerous claims based on this however they are a pathetic organization.
The "recommendations" are for weights and types, not required intervals. MM refers to using a specific type or brand.

Resurrecting this... by "stronger", I've read that the TDT has a more substantial additive pack. But I'm asking, not stating, since I'm not really sure which may be better. But I do agree with "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Actually they CAN require maintenance under MM and not provide it for free. They cannot require you to use any particular (brand) product (tie in sales) unless they provide it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back