M1R 0w-30 or Amsoil S2000 0w-30?

Im having a real tough time figuring out which I want to try first. I'm gonna dabble in light weight oils for a while after my ARX treatment, since i wont have to worry about leaks as much. Anyone have any preferences? I'm also not completely closed to trying 0w-20 from M1 also. Just some suggestions. Oh btw, 2.2 L SOHC Accord I4 with 126kish miles on it [Smile]

Amsoil 0w30 showed 0.373mm wear on four-ball wear test(ASTM D4172) and M1 showed 0.589mm wear. So the Amsoil scar was 37% smaller or the M1 scar is 58% bigger depending on which way you look at it.

Samman23, I was not aware that Amsoil had tested M1R (Race 0W30) wich is different then standard M1 0W30. Where did you get the information?

Patman

Staff member
quote:
Originally posted by Durrr: Im having a real tough time figuring out which I want to try first. I'm gonna dabble in light weight oils for a while after my ARX treatment, since i wont have to worry about leaks as much. Anyone have any preferences?
I'd love to see you try M1 0w30R! We've already seen quite a few Amsoil 0w30 results, and we know it's definitely a top quality oil, but we have yet to see any M1 0w30R reports yet. I suspect it's going to show some great reports too. Even if it's a tad on the thin side. [Smile]

I have a number of local customers running the Series 2000, 0w-30 in Honda/Acura engines with excellent results. I'd recommend a 15,000 mile/1 year oil change interval, with a filter change and topoff halfway through using the Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil filters. If you'd simply prefer to change the oil and filter at the same time, a 10,000 mile change interval should work very well also .... I've never seen a four ball wear test on the M1-R, 0w-30. I suspect it would perform very well due to the optimum level of ZDDP, which you do not find in the garden variety Mobil 1 formulations. Tooslick www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

Both are good. Amsoil 0w-30 is thicker has been recently improved over the last few months, I think. Doesn't thicken as much. Pricey though. M1R is thin and meant to be that way. This oil is being used by some 70% of NASCAR over the last few years. Very strong additive package. P-1,400ppm zinc-1,500 Moly- 80ppm Boron-180 Calcium- 3,000ppm It's a very solid oil IMO with a excellent balance of anti-wear additives. [ May 26, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Durrr

i'll probably end up using amsoil, but, for the benefit of the board from which I have benefitted so much, I want to run a OC with M1R 0w-30 so we can REALLY see how it does [Smile]

I am looking forward to this. I plan on running M1R this winter as my "Thin oil" experiment. My engine is also a high reving 4cylinder but my power density is not as high as your engines! Keep a close eye on consumption!!

Durrr

i plan on it. Pre-ARX, it was consuming about... 1 quart /1500 miles or so, and so far on 900 miles of ARX, it hasnt consumed a drop. Lets hope that trend continues. From what I know of the VTEC engagement, is that it actually squirts oil directly into the combustion chambers. That might lead to the consumption problem, but it isnt necessarily on my engine. *shrug*

Durrr, I know VTEC uses oil pressure to engage the VTEC cam followers, the ignition advances and the FI runs rich to reduce detonation but I wasn't aware that oil is introduced into the combustion chambers. Are you sure about that? The inside of the tailpipe will blacken with VTEC use but I thought that was due to mixture enrichment.

Durrr

Yeah, in the H23, the pre H22A4 prelude engine, it has a form of vtec, however crude it was, BUT, it did have oil squirters that were at the 5 o clock position as you looked at the engine from the front. Maybe they have refined it beyond that at this point, but I do remember seeing that.