M1HM: Same Oil, 3 Labels - Which Is Oldest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought many quarts of each label in my massive Target haul and was wondering which is the newest label and which is the oldest. All are API SL, and I very rarely use M1, so I'm lost
21.gif
. Why do I care? Because I have a ton of this and it will be used quite slowly, so age will become relevant. The key differences:

*The left bottle is noticeably more blue
*The center bottle text is white ("Protection for Engines with...")
*The center bottle is A3/B4
*The left bottle compares Mobil Super
*The center bottle lists used-oil.earth911.org, no longer a website
*The left bottle is missing 1-800-ASKMOBIL
*Copyright date of 2013 on left bottle
*Copyright date of 2012 on the right bottle

My guess, oldest --> newest, is left, right, center. Any ideas? Prove me right or wrong.

Thanks in advance!

20190411_033635.jpg

20190411_033615.jpg

I am not really a Mobil guy, but I also think the one on the left is the oldest. No idea on the other two.

One reason I like Pennzoil and/or Amsoil. The fill date is printed right on the jug so there is no doubt. Inkjets are relatively cheap; why not label when the product was made in case there is a quality concern down the road?

Originally Posted by tony1679
I I very rarely use M1,............ I have a ton of this and it will be used quite slowly,

You may as well keep what you want - - - and just sell the rest on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
One reason I like Pennzoil and/or Amsoil. The fill date is printed right on the jug so there is no doubt. Inkjets are relatively cheap; why not label when the product was made in case there is a quality concern down the road?

Good point. I'm not into "guessing games" either
wink.gif

Okay, after taking a much closer look, there are codes printed on the back of the bottles. I missed them several times, as they can only be seen in the correct lighting. Here are the codes:

Blue bottles (left):
10115J 23A 5887C
10115B 25A 5887C
10114K 07A 5887C *Not 100% positive on this code

White letter bottles (center):
10112L 05A 5887C
10112J 30A 5887C

Yellow letter bottles (right):
10113B 08A 5887C
10114A 10A 5887C

Anyone know how to decipher these codes?!? Huge thanks to anyone who can help!

I believe I've answered my own question. Obviously the first three numbers (101) are useless. If I have the correct info, the next two numbers are the year, followed by the month letter (January=A, March=C, skipping I, December=M), followed by the day of the month (25 is the 25th day). Then the A 5887C. So it looks like my guess was completely wrong and backwards. The left blue bottles are the newest (yeah, the ones comparing to Mobil Super
crazy2.gif
), followed by the right bottle, and the oldest is the middle bottle.

So M1HM used to be rated A3/B4 in late 2012, but somehow changed in early 2013 and could no longer meet the spec. Interesting. I probably won't, but I am tempted to do a VOA on the 10112J 30A 5887C bottle (oldest). Would be interesting to see how time truly affects the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back