M1EP really worth $10.49 a quart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw some M1EP show up on the shelves on the Canadian Tire store in town. It's even more expensive than 'normal' M1 (M1EP 10.49 per qt./M1 8.99). Oh, on another oil price note. I noticed in the Walmart in town, the prices on ALL the oil they stock has gone up, not one brand was spared. Even the Tech2000 oil in up 20 cents per quart, currently at $1.98 per quart.

Absolutely not. I'd submit that Esso XD-3 synth, from your local bulk dealer, at less than half the price, is not only a better motor oil, but capable of longer drains than the expensive M1 EP.

quote:

Originally posted by totttalled:
I guess I should feel guilty about the 14 quarts of 15W50 EP I picked up at Target a year ago for $1.09 a quart.

Yes, you should.
grin.gif
I've never seen pricing like that for synthetics up here, maybe it exists and nobody tells me about it...

From Yahoo Finance, $C 1 = $US 0.9003
$C 10.49 * 0.9 = $US 9.44
Still long way from $3/qt (or thereabouts) for M1 in US that people post here.
There were couple of reports on news about companies not adjusting their prices to account for stronger Canadian currency and simlpy pocketing extra profits. They looked at book retailers and tried to explain it using long term contracts, takes time, bla bla So for many products they said currency changes are slow to make way to the final product price.
For M1 not only did price not drop, but as you said is going up. Which is rather peculiar when you consider that our fuel prices have increased at a slower rate than in the US due to the stronger currency. So you can see currency changes in some products (fuel) and not in others (motor oil). Don't know if motor oil imports face some special tarrifs or fees.

Bottom line is use a "local" synthetic such as Esso XD3 or Formula1. XD3 is just over 5 bucks, which is about half the price and is similar to M1. I won't touch M1 and other imported oils that profit from stronger C$, but are quick to increase prices when C$ drops. BTW nothing against US companies. It could be that Canadian importers are the guilty ones. Don't know.

quote:

Originally posted by bob_ninja:
From Yahoo Finance, $C 1 = $US 0.9003
$C 10.49 * 0.9 = $US 9.44
Still long way from $3/qt (or thereabouts) for M1 in US that people post here.

The only way people here in the U.S. are purchasing Mobil 1 for $3.00/quart is with some sort of coupon or rebate (the Pep Boys calendar coupon for 1/2-off M1 comes to mind). Otherwise, people are paying more like $5.00 - $7.00/quart for Mobil 1 (non-EP version).

Here it's about 27 bucks for a 5 quart jug. Worth it? #ELL YES. Just look at the UOA section.

I believe the Canadian dollar is roughly equivalent to 86 cents U.S. $10.49CN would translate to $9.02US. Are you Canucks subject to some sort of "value-added" national sales tax in addition to local and provincial levies?

quote:

Are you Canucks subject to some sort of "value-added" national sales tax in addition to local and provincial levies?

You bet we are. 6% GST Canada-wide (reduced 1% from 7%recently) and 8% PST here in Ontario. That's on top of the oil price posted here.
We went to the US last weekend, for the first time since we became Canadian citizens. We visited Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY. Of course I went through every auto-parts store I could find. I was really impressed with the price difference, variety and availability of the products... My wife noticed the same difference at the outlet mall. Same with groceries. This with just one 7% state tax in NY, I hear things are even better in PA.

On the other note, my local Canadian Tire has not updated the price for M1EP 5w-30 yet. It sells for the same dough as M1SS there.

quote:

Originally posted by bob_ninja:
Well if the regular M1 price is $5-$7 then that is about right. I suppose you just have better sales and coupons then???? Nice.

That Pep Boys calendar coupon deal I mentioned above was a screaming-good deal. The most I normally see is maybe $1.00 off the normal price of M1, so if you look really hard you might be able to purchase up to 6 quarts @ $4.50/quart.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
Absolutely not. I'd submit that Esso XD-3 synth, from your local bulk dealer, at less than half the price, is not only a better motor oil, but capable of longer drains than the expensive M1 EP.

ditto

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

How do you know this? Have we really seen any super long drain intervals with either of these oils? The only real long drain interval we've seen with Esso has been from a taxi which isn't a fair comparison since the engine has very few cool down/warm up cycles compared to a regular car.

Still Patman ..to get a full PAO synth in two (almost) all encompassing weights for a cheap price
shocked.gif
I doubt that I'd go any further then XD-3 synth if we could get it here in the States for that price
dunno.gif

GST and PST taxes are added after sticker price, so $10.49 excludes the tax. Regarding coupons and sales, in general I found about $1-$2 price reductions during 1 week sales. Didn't notice many coupons. So that would bring down regular M1 from $8.xx to about $6.xx compared to your sales/coupons of about $3.xx or less.
I think the cheapest I got was M1 5W20 about $6.xx on sale of course.

Well if the regular M1 price is $5-$7 then that is about right. I suppose you just have better sales and coupons then???? Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back