M1 vs Valvoline SynPower 75W90 in my Toyota Tacoma's diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

It has been about 100K miles since I drained/filled my diff oil for the first time. I used Mobil 1 75W90 back then and it has been perfectly fine. It is getting to be time to do it again, and I was planning to use Mobil 1 again. I noticed the auto parts store near my home only stocks Valvoline SynPower 75W90. Of course, there are several stores near where I work that stock the Mobil 1, so it isn't any less convenient. It just got me thinking about whether one is better than the other in any application. I'm kind of assuming they are pretty equivalent. They are also priced the same.

I have a 2WD bone stock 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner. As I said, it has had Mobil 1 in it for the last 100K miles.

Thanks in advance!

Nice Tacoma my friend has a 2002 I enjoy it. Valvoline makes a great product . Go with the Mobil as you are happy using it.

I bought it brand new in 2002 and it is still my daily driver with 233K miles on it. I definitely maintain it and plan to keep it indefinitely. :)

I ended up using Mobil 1 when I did the differentials in my Jeeps. I had good luck with it in the past, so I stuck with it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I ended up using Mobil 1 when I did the differentials in my Jeeps. I had good luck with it in the past, so I stuck with it.

Been using that M1 90 forever … what I do these days is put M1 in the front and D1 in the back …
(G80 rear)
Commented recently that the M1 140 seems to be PAO …
always wondered about the big price difference over the 90

Last time I bought gear oil for my 4runner, Valvoline was on sale so I bought a bunch. Works just fine. I can't imagine you would be able to tell the difference between the two.

Originally Posted by CARJ
I can't imagine you would be able to tell the difference between the two.

^This
I have used Royal Purple, Lucas, and Valvoline 75w90 in the same car; they all worked well and I could not tell a difference between them. I can't imagine any difference between any of these and M1. After all, it's a differential, not a transmission.

Originally Posted by CARJ
Last time I bought gear oil for my 4runner, Valvoline was on sale so I bought a bunch. Works just fine. I can't imagine you would be able to tell the difference between the two.

This. But you bought XOM and you have nothing to worry about.

Buy whichever one is on sale or cheaper.

I've switched between the two in my tacoma for almost a decade now. Zero issues, can't tell a difference.

Just like engine oil, changing it at appropriate intervals is more important that which synthetic gear oil is better. It's 75-90, you could run Dino and be fine for the 30k mile intervals Toyota recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back