M1 vs. PUP Observations

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I'm not interested in running an engine 200k-400k miles. I'm interested in optimal performance all the time, which includes clean piston rings / grooves and solenoid valve ports for cam phasers and MDS systems without which, bad things start to occur.

It sounds obstinate. Maybe that's why people trade in every few years for new vehicles ?

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm not interested in running an engine 200k-400k miles. I'm interested in optimal performance all the time, which includes clean piston rings / grooves and solenoid valve ports for cam phasers and MDS systems without which, bad things start to occur.

It sounds obstinate. Maybe that's why people trade in every few years for new vehicles ?

Can't afford that either anymore. Was retired early, taking early savings, stock market plunged. Perfect trifecta.

I agree. With quality oils like M1 and PP engine life due to very clean engines including pistons and coke free rings are a must for long engine performance. Also add to your list properly lubricated cam chains and guides. With M1 I have never had any problem with chains and guides at 10K OCIs in engines with well over 200-300K.

Last edited:
This post is a bit dated in information, but I felt I owed it to BITOG to share it as the group influenced my choice of PCMO.

Having worked for Mobil, I was a die-hard Mobil 1 user for years. Until Shell bought Pennzoil and came out with GTL Ultra Platinum motor oil. BITOGers posted excellent reviews, UOA's, etc., and Shell's advertising with the cleanliness over M1 didn't hurt either. So I changed to PUP and have been with it ever since.

Here's what I noticed - my OCI's were fairly regular before I retired...3x per year on all vehicles @ 6k miles, except RV which averaged 3k miles per summer. The vehicles OEM Manual specs different SAE vis for each vehicle, which I stick with.

- oil consumption averaged app. 1 quart per OCI (@ 6k) on M1 per passenger vehicle. after change to PUP, there is no noticeable oil consumption on the dipsticks - on any vehicle.

- oil consumption on the RV averaged 1 quart per OCI (@ 3k) on M1. after change to PUP, there is no noticeable oil consumption on the dipstick.

- 1st oil changes with PUP had noticeably darker oil drains.

I don't have UOA to prove whether this is advantageous or not, but I would think so? Neither do I know why since I don't know the base stock recipes. I suspect PUP has a better base oil with lower NOACK and better DD additive package. If the rings and grooves are cleaner, the pistons are sealing better (less sticking)? Again, this is educated speculation based on what little is known about these oils.

Since PUP was first introduced, Mobil responded with "EP", but I haven't tried it. I've been pleased enough with PUP's performance and availability (now days) to not experiment further. The new GDI engines have me wondering what is optimal, though. I have one of these now, and surely more on the way.

I made a post about my vehicle here with it not consuming oil anymore which I personally think was caused by the italian tune ups more than oil but I think personally the 3 oci that I used PUP 5w30 had some sort of an affect too, and just like what you said the oil was noticeably darker when changing came and the engine for me did quiet the engine down. I bought the car with an unknown oil brand in it but I knew it wasnt a pennzoil platinum line because it had a darker golden color to the dipstick unlike the clear we get from pp or pup.

The first and second oci with pup 5w30 caused noticeably dark drains and I did consume oil, the first oil change I had with pup 5w30 nearing 5k the dipstick was low and I had to add oil which bummed me out. Then my next oci I noticed that the oil on the dipstick did not drop as low like my first change. My third oci came around and I was really suprised to see my consumption drop to half the dipstick at 5k but I thought maybe I drove less agressively/season differences, and now my current oil in it was done at walmart with just pp 5w30 not pup 5w30, and wow im shocked to see that nearing 5k my oil hasnt dropped on the dipstick!! I have the GDI 2gr-fse engine in the is350 and I remember also that the engine was noticebly quieter with pup than whatever was in it before, I have more info on my thread about it but thats my 2 cents.

Well, they say average US car age is over a decade … all of mine are under that. 2013/2014/2017/2017/2020 …
From that grouping … one is GDI and one is TDI … the newest is PI and has a 9000 mile recommended OCI. (millions of these engines have been made)

For 9k … I'd look to companies willing to state that the oil is good for xx,xxx … and I'd decide what percentage of that I'm willing to use up and why. $5 difference will not matter. Perhaps others are concerned with their quick lubes not selling (wasting) enough oil.

So, IMO … don't think the market has dried up for longer range oil and absolutely should not. It takes good materials to formulate longer range lubes …
Lastly, the big OEM's are moving to dual port engines since they are well aware of the issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Well, they say average US car age is over a decade … all of mine are under that. 2013/2014/2017/2017/2020 …
From that grouping … one is GDI and one is TDI … the newest is PI and has a 9000 mile recommended OCI. (millions of these engines have been made)

For 9k … I'd look to companies willing to state that the oil is good for xx,xxx … and I'd decide what percentage of that I'm willing to use up and why. $5 difference will not matter. Perhaps others are concerned with their quick lubes not selling (wasting) enough oil.

So, IMO … don't think the market has dried up for longer range oil and absolutely should not. It takes good materials to formulate longer range lubes …
Lastly, the big OEM's are moving to dual port engines since they are well aware of the issues.

Good points. And only one of the majors has done that - XOM with M1 EP.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by john_pifer
It would be extremely difficult to prove engine failure due to lubricant failure.

It's marketing.

There's a reason for that, and it's not marketing.

Not sure I follow what you're saying.

Care to elaborate?

It seems as though motor oil formulation is the only topic God did not include in the Tree of Knowledge.

Kind of like: It is what it is, you lowly humans!

Originally Posted by 4WD

4WD - do you mean dual fuel injectors? One in the intake manifold and one in the cylinder?

Originally Posted by 4WD
PUP was louder than M1 EP in both my Ford and GM engine … tried 5W30 in both …
After that, found M1 0w40 to be quietist …
(used a DB meter) …

The M1 0W-40 is one of the best oils on the market.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by 4WD
PUP was louder than M1 EP in both my Ford and GM engine … tried 5W30 in both …
After that, found M1 0w40 to be quietist …
(used a DB meter) …

The M1 0W-40 is one of the best oils on the market.

ðŸ»

Originally Posted by kschachn
It would be extremely difficult to prove engine failure due to lubricant failure.
It's marketing.
There's a reason for that, and it's not marketing.
Not sure I follow what you're saying.

Care to elaborate?

I only meant that the reality is that there is no such thing as an engine failure due to the lubricant, unless one has grossly deviated from what the manufacturer requires or recommends. So yes it is extremely difficult but not because it happens, rather because it does not happen.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by 4WD

Good points. And only one of the majors has done that - XOM with M1 EP.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12395/why-did-mobil-1-fail

I'm surprised that they still advertise a 20k interval, with the rise of DI engines, at least without a disclaimer. You would think they would limit it to MPFI engines.

My 2004 Colorado had a blinking Oil Change light on the dash. When new, it finally blinked at 13.2k. It seems the average time for all follow-up blinks was at 10.3k.
I regularly changed the oil every 5K and ignored the blink, until it appeared. Then I would re-set it.

We have absolutely nothing about oil changes on our Kia or Hyundai. Maybe S. Korea doesn't care about oil.

I wouldn't do it. I have no interest in running an oil 20k miles. If I were in sales and putting on a lot of miles in a car I didn't care much about I'd consider it.

What I do like about the claims made is though is gives you some level of confidence in the product you're buying. An oil designed to handle longer drains is going to have to be made up of good, premium components. You get what you pay for. Someone people want the best, but only want to pay $2qt. Not gonna happen unless you get a clearance blowout.

Back