M1 vs M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize in advance. I was away from BITOG for about nine months and I'm now in the dark on what's probably common knowledge -

Question - what's the word on the BITOG street concerning (eg) M1 0w20 vs M1 5w20 EP ? Nine months ago it seemed EP was getting negative press even from some BITOG sages. But lately I've been catching up on all these series IV test results by Castrol Edge and Syn Power, and I noticed that Castrol Edge degrades regular M1, and then mentions EP but does not claim superiority to EP.

I also read a recent long OCI UOA on EP, and the numbers were great. Added to that, I used M1 10w30 EP in my mom's '98 Taurus for one year (close to 10k) and had excellent wear numbers that impressed Blackstone (and me).

I'm in search of the 1 year OCI (12-14k) oil for my Mazda (presently M1 0w20) and I'm wondering what's up with EP.

Thanks for any input!

welcome2.gif
Back!

I will let the other M1 guys answer your question about the difference as I have switched from these products some time ago because I felt there was better value and performance over many miles from Amsoil. (Just my opinion though)

M1 EP will give you 12-14K but I would do a UOA to make sure it's ok in your engine for this length of time. I would have no problems reccomending Amsoil SSO 0w30 or their 0w20 for this long as I know that it would stand up without a doubt. It is also not that much more (in Canada anyways) than M1 EP.

I would also use a very high quality oil filter if you intend to go this long. I like the EAO's but there other good brands out there...

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
... I noticed that Castrol Edge degrades regular M1, and then mentions EP but does not claim superiority to EP.

I have noticed that also. Both Castrol Edge and M1 EP guarantee their oils up to 15,000 miles so it should work fine for 12-14K.

Amsoil may last a little longer, but their 100% synthetic oil is not a GF-4 API certified Energy Saving Formula like Edge and M1 EP. So Amsoil 0W-20 or 5W-20 may be quit a bit different than the M1 0W-20 you are now using in that regard.

Edge does not even have a 5W-20 in the US (last I checked they only have 5W-30 or 10W-30). M1 EP has a 5W-20, but no 0W-20.

Many people in BITOG give M1 negative reviews because of various political issues, and/or herd mentality, having nothing to do with the oil.

I think EP and regular M1 are more alike than different. I would stick with the regular Mobil 1 oils.

All M1 products are excellent off the shelf products... I just think that there is better value for the money / service time with other brands such as Amsoil.

I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 if the price was right though!
wink.gif

Thanks Buster! You opinions on the M1 line hold a lot of wgt with me. You've been watching them longer and more consistently than I have.

Stevie, agreed on Amsoil. I'll be in Dallas in the next couple of months - seriously considering making a jaunt down to there dist. ctr. But it's a serious jaunt (from a suburb north of Dallas - ~30 mi) - I'd definitely buy in bulk. And the dist. ctr. is basically between Texas Ranger stadium and Six Flags - the last time I tried it the traffic was a nightmare and I got there after they closed. Perhaps better to pay shipping, but I don't want to do that either if M1 gets the job done (I'll know more when I UOA my present fill of M1 0w20)

Originally Posted By: StevieC

If you belong to Costco, they have coupons mailed out a couple of weeks ago for $10 off a 6-quart box of 5W-30 or 10W-30 M1 that are good May 11-31. I am not sure what the regular price is, but I may use my Costco coupon and my Mobil 1 $10 off mail-in rebate at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

If you belong to Costco, they have coupons mailed out a couple of weeks ago for $10 off a 6-quart box of 5W-30 or 10W-30 M1 that are good May 11-31. I am not sure what the regular price is, but I may use my Costco coupon and my Mobil 1 $10 off mail-in rebate at the same time.

I plan on doing the same thing. Looking forward to paying $2/quart for M1.

My Costco only carries Shell and Castrol products... Not sure if the coupons would be valid in Canada.
frown.gif

I will keep an eye out for it though... Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

My Costco only carries Shell and Castrol products... Not sure if the coupons would be valid in Canada.
frown.gif

I will keep an eye out for it though... Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Not sure if my Costco stocks M1 or if they will stock up just before May 11.

I just read the Costco coupon book for May 11-31, and it says these are manufacturer coupons (all of them, not just the M1) so I don't know if I can use mail-in rebate and coupon for the same purchase (mail-in rebate says that it cannot be combined with any other discount/offer). Maybe I will just go to Walmart and get a 5 quart jug and use the mail-in coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back